Combat Sports / Martial Arts

kuhla

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not a problem or an issue. It's something I can work around.

Not really...? You are definitely getting sub-par practice by not having someone to work with. I am trying to figure out a way where I can help you with that while also personally benefiting.

You can't. You're too heavy and I'm too light. The most you can get out of it is if I teach you the footwork and positioning. I used to work out with my bro who was around 180 lbs but only 5'7". I can work with that... It was hard to throw him but it also forced me to utilize the skill properly. He, however, didn't get much of a work out throwing me... (and boy did it hurt when he threw me).

I was able to throw a guy who was 6'+ but he was a newbie then. After 2 weeks of training at OCK, I was unable to throw him. He learned proper balance and how to check throws.

You can't. You're too heavy and I'm too light. The most you can get out of it is if I teach you the footwork and positioning. I used to work out with my bro who was around 180 lbs but only 5'7". I can work with that... It was hard to throw him but it also forced me to utilize the skill properly. He, however, didn't get much of a work out throwing me... (and boy did it hurt when he threw me).

I was able to throw a guy who was 6'+ but he was a newbie then. After 2 weeks of training at OCK, I was unable to throw him. He learned proper balance and how to check throws.

Really? If I was not resisting, you couldn't throw me? I thought Judo throws heavily relied on leverage that kept most of the weight off of the thrower. At most, for a brief moment, a the person being thrown, their weight is on your hips.

DOH.. where?! You need to have a lot of room for it. Like in the middle of a room. Do you have enough ceiling support to hang it? Those bags are heavy...

But fun!! Glad to hear you're still serious about MT

Really wanted to do it today. Did it and made a small album of it - http://imgur.com/a/WZb9A

Still a few small things to fix but they are things that can be easily worked on later. It is not screwed into the ceiling tie. That is not its final location. I also hung from that mount and nothing happened even though I weigh more than twice the weight of the bag so I assume it's ok although only time will really tell.

oooh!! Really cool mount.

Judo: Yes, if you're not resisting, I would be able to at least get you on the hip but I won't last very long and you won't get a lot out of using me as a practice buddy. The best practice is having a line of people and you have to do 20 uchikomi with each partner. It helps you adjust to different weights, heights, and width sizes. By the way, uchikomi does not have to involve throws. Normally, it's to help you practice form. 1) Right grip 2) Right positioning 3) Taking the uke's kazushi (balance)

Tori - person who does the throwing

uke - person who gets thrown

Very fun.

As for the last clip... I"m going to sound really mean but I've seen brown belts with cleaner throws. If you watch the slow-mo, she is still a little too high. If there was any resistance, she would not be able to pull off that throw. If you want a fast throw, you have to go low, get them on your hip, and pop up.

Aikido uses the above described technique a lot.

There are a bunch more videos from the same person/group here, I assume they are more about showing off the basics of the movie, sometimes in slow/choppy form so that it can be more clear for those watching:

although admittedly I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on that, I don't know what to look for, you do.

I was actually kind of thinking the other way around, that you would basically just show me what you know but otherwise I would just be a practice dummy for you to practice your judo but if my height and weight are too much, I guess I understand. I do intend to try a grappling style someday but there are elements of judo that I definitely appreciate that few others seems to offer.

Turning it around the other way, in total, I've been exposed to 5 different martial arts gyms/classes/studios/etc. and in every single one I was the tallest and much of the time the heaviest too. This is a difficulty I have to work with too and whoever ends up working with me has the same mismatch issue.

I'll probably order the foam padded flooring tonight and I hope that ships quick. I want to get this together soon. I may do some light bag work as early as tomorrow but I'm going to have to keep my shoes on so no kicking. I'm planning on buying a 10' x 10' setup but it is tiled and I may change it into a 8' x 12' (tiles are 2' each, so 4 tiles by 6 tiles vs 5 tiles by 5 tiles) to better fit the actual area will work in (which is slightly narrower than it is long). It is moveable and redoable. Don't need to overthink it right now.

I might also look into some leather care for bags just to try and give it some TLC since it's my own personal bag and I need/want it to last a long time.

I am far from an expert. But I will show you whatever I know.

If I were in a fight and I were to be on the ground I would probably lose unless the other person doesn't know how to grapple. Girls don't have enough strength. As I was saying last time, I tried to put one of my judo bros in a armbar and he just lifted me off the ground. However, he couldn't get out of my tate shiho tatame (full on body lock) It's really REALLY hard to get out of once you let it set. But in a real fight, that move is useless. It's only good for judo competition or if you're just stalling for the police to come but it leaves your back completely exposed for 3rd party attack.

Here's a good website I used when I was doing judo. Lots of good visuals but by no means should you just copy it directly. You still need a sensei or you'll end up hurting yourself or your partner: http://www.judoinfo.com/animate.htm

I would recommend you to only learn a few judo throws and to perfect them. Here are a few I think are most beneficial: Osoto gari/ osoto guruma, ippon seoinage, and ogoshi.

The others are great and their are a lot of variety but these basic ones are most used in fights. Not flashy but effective. There are also variations to the throws that you can use.

Example. Someone throws a punch to your face. Using your left hand, you push it off to your right and leave it up to block your right side of the body/head. Move in and with your right hand go for their shirt collar (if you're nice) or their throat (if you're not) and throw them using osoto gari. Deadly if it connects. I would never recommend force unless it is a do or die situation.

As all of my sensei's tell me, the first thing you should always do is run. Because you don't know if the opponent is armed, has friends coming, or is better than you at a fight. Much safer to run and call for help. Fighting is always a last resort.

I'll probably order the foam padded flooring tonight and I hope that ships quick. I want to get this together soon. I may do some light bag work as early as tomorrow but I'm going to have to keep my shoes on so no kicking. I'm planning on buying a 10' x 10' setup but it is tiled and I may change it into a 8' x 12' (tiles are 2' each, so 4 tiles by 6 tiles vs 5 tiles by 5 tiles) to better fit the actual area will work in (which is slightly narrower than it is long). It is moveable and redoable. Don't need to overthink it right now.

Done. In the picture that is 8' x 12' (4 tiles by 6 tiles). Big enough for simple stuff. Soft enough to fall on (3/4" thick and there is carpet under it) but obviously not pillow soft (it's not meant to be, too soft also means too much friction/sink when just standing on it). I almost want to order 6 more tiles to make it 5 tiles x 6 tiles, and I may still do that eventually, but realistically if you are all the way at the edge of the mat now, you are way too close to the edge already. We will see how much more room clears up once some of the garage crap gets sold/dumped/donated. The bag can be taken down quickly and easily if the space is needed.

So Chris, when are you coming over to throw me? I got my gi out of the depths of my closet.

IMG_20130416_150213.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing i noticed in most of the fights, the opponent doesn't know how to check a throw or they rush in and she grabs them in for a throw.

In exception to the BJJ girl ~4.27

The one thing about arm bars is it has to set up. Once they throw their leg on you, you need to react fast enough to throw that leg off. They have your arm but they can't set it properly without the leverage of the leg. Sounds easy but hell, it's really hard to get that leg off.

I nearly broke my neck once when i tried to arch out of it. (Of course, my sensei didn't set the arm bar or i'd have broken more than a neck.)

Still, Ms. Rousey is one heck of a fighter. I'd love to get some pointers from her.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

omg, watching that makes me want to do judo so badly. 1:36 is what we called "riding the wave" -- he had the advantage but you follow the flow and get out of the throw and gain leverage to throw the opponent.

soooo good.... sumo is really tough.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, seen that video. I wish I had a lot more slipping instruction when I was taking classes. boxing has that down to a science and most people feel muay Thai loses focus a bit on the hands. dutch kickboxing is usually considered a bit better at that.

• 1 month later...

I really need to figure out how to factor this back in. I have my bag and floor pads at home but with my current work and exercise schedule I barely have any time left at home.

Once I have my finances more in order (expenses more regular) then I can also consider going back to a proper gym.

Team ooyama in irvine I think has actually come down a bit in price but CSW in fullerton has a national pedigree and less exclusive stricking class.

Bleh.