Tactically Inept

Combat Sports / Martial Arts

kuhla

There is some super high level stuff going on in this picture....

Giorgio_Petrosyan_vs._Andy_Ristie.gif

....Petrosyan (black shorts) "turns" Ristie (white shorts) which is considered a complex move to pull off properly and gets a clean overhand shortly after. Ristie switches stances 3 times (!) and one of the switches is mid-combo (jeezuz) to finish things with an uppercut. I can't even imagine how Petrosyan could have seen that coming.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Sort of big news out of the UFC today, both the Nevada State Athletic Commission and the commission in Brazil have banned the use of TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy). If you have no idea what TRT is, I will just say it is a medical procedure that is supposed to help people maintain testosterone levels if their doctor feels they are too low or below the normal range. A lot of fans (many of whom I disagree with) railed against it in the past for various reasons, many saying it was practically "legal steroids". By having Nevada and Brazil ban that medical treatment, for all intents and purposes it is banned everywhere in the UFC. The current assumption is that this will affect a handful of fighters directly, one has already pulled out of an upcoming event and said he will stop treatment and deal with whatever the consequences of that will be.

Since I think I am one of the only people on this forum who follows MMA/UFC closely I doubt many of you will find this interesting but it is one of the biggest bits of news to come out lately about this sport.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jesus, if this isn't a sport that causes frontal lobe damage I don't know what sport does, awful imo.

There are some high level, professional fighters now who do not allow head shots in training anymore because they are afraid of the long term wear and tear. There has been criticism from some in terms of wondering how those people can train properly by avoiding that since getting hit in the head, avoiding getting hit in the head and striking other people in the head is integral to the sport. However, considering there are some champions who have implemented this training strategy there is a lot of people still on the fence. No one is denying that fighting sports are very rough on the brain and there has been some things done to try and reduce the frequency of it at the competition level rules.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Richard-- lol. IMO Wushu is more show than practical these days. Don't get me wrong, a butterfly kick will hurt a lot but only if it lands. Still, I'm not qualified to critique anything.

Kuhla--That was an awesome vid. Very clean throws. I like. There are some moves I haven't seen before like the one where she pops the guys foot out, rolls, and catches his other foot into a throw.

I miss judo but I don't miss the injuries. Looking back, I wish I took ukemi more seriously and focused on perfecting it before I moved on to being thrown-- would have saved me a lot of grief.

• 3 weeks later...

They taught free martial arts classes at CSUF and the instructor there would show us cool looking moves like a spinning kick but he'd always tell us that the probability of them landing are pretty slim.

Being hit by an elbow, spinning or not, is pretty damaging.

I donno. I gave up watching caged fights...

So I'm watching this old

and there is this whole section (after 3:36) with throws and I'm thinking wtf this is all like judo stuff wtf is the army doing with judo stuff in 1909 and then I read the description: "Lessons in Boxing from Mike Gibbons (Former & Late Middleweight Boxing Champion of 1909), Captain Allan Corstorphin Smith (3rd degree jujutsu (judo) master), and how to fight with and against the bayonet."

Well fuck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...