Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Combat Sports / Martial Arts

That mma boy v girl... I dont know what to say. Perserverance wise, i think they did well but towards the end they were just wailing punches instead of conserving energy.

source - http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/286...ed-martial-arts

"It is brutal and it is not boxing," said SAT deputy governor Sakol Wannapong who oversees professional sports.

"It is against the 1999 boxing law."

SAT officials met this week to discuss whether holding an MMA event was lawful or not following a request from a private company and they finally agreed that under the 1999 boxing law, it is unlawful to stage an MMA event in Thailand.

"Organising a MMA event here would hurt the image of Muay Thai," Sakol said.

There have been two MMA events held in Bangkok and neither were approved by the SAT, according to Sakol.

He said the SAT was asking the Interior Ministry's legal advisors to consider action against any MMA organisers.

"If you want to do this kind of business, you should do it in another country," Sakol said.

"Organising MMA here could mislead the public into believing that Muay Thai is brutal."

Ooooooooooook............. that seems a little out there.... it seems like a desperate move to "preserve" "pure" muay thai (the hell does that mean) since it's their national sport and made excuses to ensure that..... seems really short sighted but idk....

Per an old discussion with Chris, I think these are the best basic instructional muay thai videos I've seen. If you are curious. A little of everything is shown and the instruction is first class, pointing out all the little bits. There is limited punching and clinching stuff but these are just basic videos. It wouldn't be bad to review these to get some conceptual understanding before going to a muay thai class. Besides if you wanted better boxing then you would have to watch boxing instructional videos.

I wish my technique looked that clean.

This thread needs a bump. Here is a decent fight from the It's Showtime event earlier this month. Since K-1 is dead, for all intents and purposes, you can think of It's Showtime as the descendant of it. Starts at 0:35. Fighters are Andy Souwer and Zeben Diaz in the 155lb class.

A full on muay thai brawl that gets more and more ridiculous as the rounds go by. It almost gets comical after the 7:50 part.

Cro Cop is a fighter I have an appreciation for. It's not that common that a fighter releases a video of their entire strength and training routine but he did. Looks good. No surprise, lots of circuits and core focused exercises.

I saw this when it first came out, forgot about it, then came across it again today and wanted to post it. It's an interesting hybrid of a muay thai fight. It is a proper muay thai fight under full muay thai rules but it's done with 4oz UFC/MMA style gloves and inside a cage instead of a ring. I don't know if I like the cage part (so big) but the gloves would actually be a bit of an improvement for clinching purposes. Clinching training is usually done without gloves anyhow.

....another video from the same event....

Kuhla: Are you still practicing?

Kuhla: Are you still practicing?

No. I quite the gym I was going to back in may. I took a free class or two at 4 different places (3 of which were MMA oriented) but didn't continue with any of them mostly because of money but also because of free-time issues. I do want to get back to it someday. Once I have more free-time (i.e. out of school) and a steady income (which may be sooner not later) then I'll probably start again.

The fitness gym I go to right now (Gold's Gym) has a boxing ring and one personal trainer who actually does some muay thai with some of his clients as part of their workouts with him. I had a "one free session with a trainer" since I signed up and decided to use it up with him about 2 weeks ago. Mainly just to go through the motions to see if I still remembered most of it. I did but he pointed out many of the issues I already knew I had.

I've put some serious thought into how to get a bag setup at home so I can at least get some practice in but that has been on hold for a while.

Why do you ask?

Mostly curious.

I wanted to start up again in Judo but can't due to time constraints as well.

Some parts look really good.

I miss MT... I didn't really get to do much b/c i was drained/out of shape the last time I went. But I think I'd like to go back to train some more when I have more free time.

I've only watched a minute of this so far but it's already worth posting...

EDIT: Good god that was good all around..... fun to watch, technical fighting and good announcing

source - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/21427455

Wrestling has been dropped from the 2020 Games to make way for a new sport.

The International Olympic Committee's executive board
made its decision after assessing the performance of all 26 sports at
the London Games.

Wow. That's a really big hit to wrestling. Their highest level of competition has just been taken away.

Tangential Trivia: The popular opinion is that people looking for a grappling art for MMA have 3 options: judo, wrestling (greco and freestyle) and the most popular option brazilian jiu-jitsu (usually no gi). If you are wondering about the differences between greco and freestyle, I can't tell you. I don't know what the differences are.

I've been interested in brazilian jiu-jitsu. The focus is on groundwork whereas judo is more about the throws. I much preferred ground work to being thrown but I also didn't have my fundamentals of "proper landing" down so that was where I got injured most. Plus my reaction sucks.

I would probably try to feign a K.O too... somehow I don't I can take a punch from someone so large.

source - http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/27/4036510/muay-thai-champion-ramon-dekkers-passes-away-at-age-43

wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramon_Dekkers

Ramon Dekkers apparently died today. I posted a fight video of him in this thread at some point. He is significant in the Muay Thai world because he was the first big name foreigner to go to Thailand and beat some of the best Thais they could throw at him. Of course it helped that he was in their weight class too.

I think the cause of death is not known yet. They said he felt bad and then collapsed.

Wow. That's really sad. He was a great martial artist.

DOH.. where?! You need to have a lot of room for it. Like in the middle of a room. Do you have enough ceiling support to hang it? Those bags are heavy...

But fun!! Glad to hear you're still serious about MT

It's a 100 lb bag. I wanted 150 lb but it's a used bag that I got at a decent price so I couldn't be picky.

Things are still being put together but if everything works out great, I should have a work area with a bag and padded flooring.

It will never replace going to a proper gym and getting proper instruction but it'll let me scratch the itch a bit and do some practice on my own time.