Sign in to follow this  
Malaphax

Computer Plans "Delta"

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KXwxHh

That's an updated rough guide for an upgrade.  Mostly in the event that shit breaks. 

I technically do not need to update the storage options, however I'd be very tempted to buy a new SSD and transition my older ssd to a "storage" drive that I'd be using when I download content.  I'd also like to move away from standard hdds in my build and keep them relegated to my NAS.  There's no psu listed because I just bought one and I would almost certainly cannibalize that from my current build along with my gpu. 
I'd probably layout the cooling with a 240/280mm rad on the bottom fans in pull formation.  Put 2x120mm fans in the front for fresh air intake and another 120 on the back for exhaust.

At this point I'd still like to wait for Zen 2 rather than the current Zen+.  I still fully intend to go full retard and upgrade my gpu to a gtx 1180 when they release in the next few months.  I also expect to make a more of an effort to sell off my current 1080 when I finally make that upgrade instead of being an idiot and sitting on it like my old 970. 

The benefits of nvme vs a standard sata ssd are very small for my usage.  In terms of game performance, loading times, and general usage it's minimal.  Nvme is also quite a bit more expensive a 1tb 970 is ~$400 vs a 1tb 860 being ~$250.  There are also occasional issues with nvme drives being used as a boot drive, although I've heard most of these have been resolved.  Basically, unless you're moving large files around because you're doing a ton of encoding or video editing there's very few use case scenarios to go with a nvme drive over a standard sata ssd.  I'd rather spend that extra $150 on something else. 
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Samsung-860-Evo-1TB/m494791vsm423831

All I can say is that there is a noticeable difference in performance between my desktop i7 4790k + 840 Evo 500 GB SATA, vs my laptop at i7 7700HQ + 960 Evo 1 TB. The primary performance delta is during my game updates with World of Warships (8 GB update file) once downloaded feels like 10-15 minutes to install on my desktop (drive I/O is the primary limiting factor as my computer is basically bottle-necked during the update) vs. ~5 minutes on my laptop. I have not conducted actual repeatable test but that was a pretty big shocker to me.

This is of course a limited scenario but to say that the impact of increase bandwidth is not noticeable to human perception, would be false. Pricing though, is sizable which is the biggest argument against it at MSRP prices. That being said, I paid ~$340 for my 960 Evo at a time that the SATA version was around $270. Although if i applied the same discounts I obtained, it probably would've been like $340 vs. $220.

I said the difference in performance would be very small for my usage.  I was considering primarily gaming, the difference between game launching and level load times from nvme to sata ssd is negligible, see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecCA0gx_eZk

There are several applications where you could see a substantial difference in performance.  This is most notably found in heavy I/O or data transfer settings, if I edited videos, or worked with large CAD files or anything similar I would absolutely invest in a nvme drive instead.  Your example of game updates or any downloads/installations of several gb would see a performance increase, but considering the speed of my network and PC, I've never run into an issue of "I really wish I this game would install faster."
As it stands currently, I use my machine for gaming, media and web browsing; none of which would take substantial advantage of the additional IOPS that a nvme drive provides. 
I may still end up getting a nvme drive if prices are favorable when I decide to upgrade, but it's rather low on my spending priorities compared to GPU, CPU or RAM.

Dear diary,

I've been running into small recurring issues with my current pc.  Every once in a while the USB ports become unresponsive (sometimes when I move my computer chair? maybe some freak grounding issue?)  Ran some standard tests, updated bios, and still there's occasional issues.  I also ran into a couple of hard crashes recently.  I sincerely hope my mobo can limp along for another 9 months, I'm not really looking to build a new system right now, I'd prefer to wait until zen 2 release 1H'19. 

I did a quick update of my emergency "my shit broke, need new pc" build. It's not particularly complete or anything, but I need to keep a backup plan in case. 
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CbBKcY

EDIT - Update: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/33ZhNQ

tumblr_nz4ri5bks01s27326o2_540.gif