• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Yep....it was all developed using IBM's Rational Software:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_Software

There are nearly 100 separate MCU's on the Volt each controlling a separate subsystem.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1279627

Kind of gives you an idea of just how amazing this car really is, and why China really wants its hands on it. Developing a real plug-in hybrid like a Volt is literally a moon-shot type of engineering project.

Yea, generally my car is a bit jerky/sluggish when I first drive it in the mornings. After about 2-3 minutes it wears off and then after another few minutes I would feel comfortable actually pushing it. If I just decided to put my foot to the floor right after I had started it, there might be some damage to the car itself. Just check your engine temp gauge, if it's near the middle then you're probably fine.

Of course, I generally tried to keep my RPMs under 2000 (~1500) in my motoring up to the freeway. Usually the stop lights added about 2-3 minutes to the commute was sufficient to bring the temperature gauge from to about 1/3 to 1/2. The on-ramp was sufficient to bring to the regular operating temperature.

My mother would always tell me to warm up the car for 5-10 minutes before actually driving it, which was common in my family especially when we had early 80s cars, and it just became a habit. It wasn't until I started driving when I started to think of all the inefficiencies and ways to improve it that I went about my driving habits.

• 4 weeks later...