Tactically Inept

RAnd0m Au7om071v3

T1no

From that link...

In an interview with Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport magazine, 60-year-old Müller said Porsche road cars would follow the lead of the company’s hi-tech 919 Hybrid race car in receiving four-cylinder engines.

But while the 919 Hybrid runs a unique vee-configured engine, the unit being readied for the Boxster and Cayman will follow the lead of Porsche’s classic six-cylinder engine with a 180deg horizontally opposed layout as part of a modular engine strategy.

So it will be an H4? Boxer?

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to derail the topic, but that's another somewhat contentious issue. Who exactly is liable for accidents involving self driving vehicles? The company that produces the vehicle? Or the driver who is "operating" the vehicle? If you're not involved in the driving input it would be a hard sell to suggest that you assume the responsibility for any accidents incurred. That's the equivalent of saying you would be liable for an accident if the city bus you were riding hit someone.

I understand at least the temporary measure of not being asleep or reading, but I have a feeling these laws will be relaxed at some point when the legislators become more comfortable with the technology.

if the controller software is liable for the accident then the company that produced the software should be liable for the accident. that may not necessarily be the car manufacturer.

that said, the act of proving fault may involve a much different process like pulling data logs from the car or some such. it won't be as simple as "he said she said" as the software can't speak for itself, obviously.

ironically, here in Michigan it doesn't matter who is at fault for an accident. whenever you get into an accident each person pays for his/her own repair costs, so the owner of the car would most likely always pay. you can't fault the software when there is no finding of fault in the first place.

• 1 month later...

So I mentioned that my main coworker quit, today was his last day. A lot of people from around the organization was making an effort to meet him one last time. He's moving to Palo Alto to work at Tesla but his main hope is to work on self-driving cars like that above.

• 3 weeks later...