• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

source - https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/14/infiniti-variable-compression-turbo-engine/

Hybrid and pure electric cars may be the future of transportation, but Nissan's Infiniti badge has found a way to make the most out of gas engines while they're still relevant. When the next-generation QX50 crossover arrives in 2017, it'll carry the first-ever production variable compression turbo (VC-T) engine -- a technology that promises to dramatically improve fuel efficiency without compromising on performance. By automatically adjusting the height the engine's pistons reach, the VC-T motor can optimize its compression ratio for the task at hand. It'll lower the ratio if you're mashing the throttle (to prevent premature detonation and make the most of the turbo), but raise it when you're putting around town and need to wring out better mileage.

If you ask Infiniti, the result is the best of both worlds. The future QX50 will kick out 268HP and 288lb/ft of torque, but gets up to 27 percent better fuel economy than Nissan's widely used 3.5-liter V6. It's lighter and smaller than similar conventional engines, too, and doesn't need treatment to pass modern emissions standards. The big drawback is that it's limited to four-cylinder engines, but this inaugural VC-T is powerful enough that it can go toe-to-toe with (and will likely replace) that previously mentioned V6. Nissan is also contemplating the possibility of pairing it with a hybrid system.

You should learn more about the engine at the Paris Auto Show on September 29th. Even at this early stage, though, it's apparent that VC-T could be one of the last gasps for purely gas-powered cars in the mainstream. As the company explained to Reuters, it sees variable compression technology as an eventual replacement for diesel. It could be the go-to option for drivers who can't (or won't) switch to electric vehicles and are leery about diesel pollution, but still care about efficiency and running costs.

It says this is the first-ever production engine to have this technology but that seems hard to believe.

Engadget missing all kinds of info...

source - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-japan-nissan-engine-idUSKCN10P0IK?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FtechnologyNews+%28Reuters+Technology+News%29

The turbo-charged, 2-liter, four-cylinder VC-T engine averages ....

Nissan says the new VC-T engine can choose an optimal compression ratio variably between 8:1 and 14:1.

I assume there is a lag in this system as well but it's still cool to see.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was discussing with kuhla the other night what options I would look into if I was in the market for a new car. Here's a basic rundown of my thoughts.

Things I would like in a car (note, I'm willing to make compromises)

• Good All Wheel Drive
  • 200hp+ (willing to go as low as 170)
  • Automatic/DSG transmission
  • Decent MPG
  • Hatchback or sedan (no coupes, wagons, suvs, or trucks)
  • Price under $30k

With those options in mind, the GTI is at the top of the list, with everything except the AWD component.

Other options would be an automatic/CVT Subaru WRX, but I feel like buying an automatic transmission WRX might make me want to kill myself.

The Fiesta ST and Focus ST meet the power requirements, but they only come in manual transmission. The Focus RS also meets the AWD component but it's outside of my budget and also ridiculous.

I'd be willing to look at the Crossover/CUV car range, but most of them lack power: Subaru Crosstrek XV - 145hp, Masda CX3 - 146hp, Masda CX5 - 184hp (and this is basically an SUV).

There's the Juke Nismo (or Nismo RS) which can come with all wheel drive, I have no idea how good it is, and I'm not a huge fan of the Juke's appearance.

So I think fuel economy .gov actually has one of the better search engines for things like this:

(Years: 2016–2017) + (MSRP: < $30,000) + (Drive: 4WD/AWD) = http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&year1=2016&year2=2017&minmsrpsel=0&maxmsrpsel=30000&city=0&hwy=0&comb=0&cbdt4wd=4WD&YearSel=2016-2017&make=&mclass=&vfuel=&vtype=&trany=&drive=4WD&cyl=&MpgSel=000&sortBy=Comb&Units=&url=SearchServlet&opt=new&minmsrp=0&maxmsrp=30000&minmpg=&maxmpg=&rowLimit=200&pageno=1&tabView=0

CX-5 was on my shortlist and it meets all your bullet points (really going to hold that firm to the 200 number? Can't go down 15?). It's considered a CUV. I think the size is fine but it sounds like you are very against size. The roof line was just as high as my truck (I parked next to a CX-5 often at work) which I also do not consider tall.

Go get a test drive. Costs you nothing except patience with the salesman.

If we want to get into technicalities... the Tiguan can be bought under 30K with 4MOTION.