• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

Fisker Karma is selling rather well for luxury car that got horrible reviews and getting tons of fires. In less than a year, they've made over 1000 confirmed sales, and as much as 2400 rumored sales. That's more than total number of Tesla Roadsters sold. Then again this is a GT sedan with unlimited range and tremendous unique style versus a EV version of an existing model.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Boy those Fiskers are getting popular. On an average day, just about everyone is driving one! ? Actually this ensemble took place during a recent owners gathering in Southern California.

I wouldn't say its the Apple of the EV world. Also to say it looks hideous is not the opinion of the majority. I find it rather sexy, and very sleek although GINORMOUS. I think the main reason the Fisker is selling is completely due to its style.

IMO the Fisker has

- Poor relative performance (200 HP unless you turn on engine) / 0-60 in 8s, or 5.6 with the engine.

- Poor efficiency (20 MPG?!?)

- Poor range (32 Miles per charge)

- Heavy as fffuuuu (5600 lbs)

- Poor quality (fit and finish issues everywhere)

- Poor engineering (unfinished software)

- Unsafe (multiple cars catching on fire everywhere)

Yet it still has sold more in the past year (~2400) than Tesla sold Roadsters in the past 3 years (~1800).

The single reason is style. This thing rocks the boat in terms of style and that's what rich people really care about more than anything else.

In other news, Volt has reach epic sales numbers that beat out pretty much everything outside of Toyota and the VW Jetta:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

God damnit porche, you can't just throw random fucking numbers on a whiteboard and have this work... I do not know how you can possibly have a 0-60 in less than 3 seconds with 795hp all while remaining capable of going all electric up to 100mph and 15 miles not to mention 78mpg if you feel like burning gas. This vehicle is so ridiculous it's one of those things you can't even take seriously.

God damnit porche, you can't just throw random fucking numbers on a whiteboard and have this work... I do not know how you can possibly have a 0-60 in less than 3 seconds with 795hp all while remaining capable of going all electric up to 100mph and 15 miles not to mention 78mpg if you feel like burning gas. This vehicle is so ridiculous it's one of those things you can't even take seriously.

I think they meant 78 MPGe (meaning efficiency of the electric motors) at Highway speeds.

I like this idea:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/10/sc...d-20121001.html

It's actually one huge complaint I have about the Volt. Why carry a gas engine all the time when I almost never use it? (that partially means I should have just got an EV because I don't need the range but that's besides the point...). Its just a huge weight penalty (~500-800 lbs). They had swappable batteries, so why not a swappable drive train?

Why were you expecting the average consumer to do the modular battery pack themselves either? The same concept applies of driving into a "swap station" and having machines do all the work. With the proper fasteners and connections I don't suppose its much more difficult than doing a battery swap. A modular battery pack is still around 500-1200 lbs...not exactly something your average consumer can handle themselves either.

If you read the article the Romanian team basically laid out the process of how it cold be accomplish

The extractor device at the hyMod stations handles is endowed with sensors and the module has laser emitters. In that way, the alignment of the extraction bars with the corresponding supports on the module is made automatically, the device being capable to move in sides and up/down.

A critical element is the coupling of the mechanical transmission of the engine-pack?especially because the whole engine-transmission pack is fastened to the module frame by means of elastic bumpers. To make possible the coupling of the transmission, booth semi couplings (from the module and from the car) are fixed rigid to the module frame and respective to the car chassis.

Why were you expecting the average consumer to do the modular battery pack themselves either? The same concept applies of driving into a "swap station" and having machines do all the work. With the proper fasteners and connections I don't suppose its much more difficult than doing a battery swap. A modular battery pack is still around 500-1200 lbs...not exactly something your average consumer can handle themselves either.

If you read the article the Romanian team basically laid out the process of how it cold be accomplish

I wasn't expecting the consumer to do either. but simply due to the fact that it has moving parts, a modular drivetrain is going to be harder to design.

edit: im talking about designing the modules in the first place, not the act of swapping them in case it isn't clear.

I wasn't expecting the consumer to do either. but simply due to the fact that it has moving parts, a modular drivetrain is going to be harder to design.

edit: im talking about designing the modules in the first place, not the act of swapping them in case it isn't clear.

Of course, but once designed it would be really cool...

saw model S this morning near my work.

Oh shizz....was it privately owned??

US News Car Rankings: Best Upscale Midsize Cars

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-...e-Midsize-Cars/

#1 2012 BMW 3-Series

#1 2012 Buick Regal

#3 2013 Acura TL

#4 2013 Cadillac CTS

#4 2013 Infiniti G

#4 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

#7 2013 Audi A4

#7 2013 Chevrolet Volt

#7 2012 Lexus IS

#10 2013 Volvo S60

#11 2013 Audi A5

#11 2013 Volkswagen CC

#11 2012 Volkswagen Eos

#14 2012 Lincoln MKZ

#14 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

#14 2012 Nissan Maxima

#17 2012 Volvo C70

#18 2012 Lexus HS

#19 2013 Lexus ES

C-Max Hybrid commercials hahaha

Along with the news, Ford has simultaneously launched an advertising campaign positioning the car directly up against the Toyota Prius, which also comes in a plugin version.

Being a wagon, Ford has priced the car centrally between the Prius and Prius V at $25,995, with the plugin offered at $32,995 before a $3750 tax credit.

The non plugin hit showrooms last month and has already sold 1000 units. The plugin arrives next month.

The cars will be built at the same Michigan plant that make the Focus and Focus EV.

?It is a new nameplate so we have to establish what the C-Max is and get it on people?s shopping list,? said Ford US marketing director Matt VanDyke.

?It helps define the C-Max by likening it to the Prius which is the ?Kleenex of hybrids,? added Amy Machesney, C-Max marketing manager.

The ad campaign though pitting the two cars directly is lighthearted and animated. A central element is the ?hybrid wars? theme shown in the videos below.

Ford points out that the C-Max is cheaper than the Prius-V wagon ($27,245), gets higher gas mileage (47 vs 42 mpg) and has more horsepower (188 vs 134).

C-Max ?Hybrid Games? commercial ? semi pass

C-Max ?Hybrid Games? commercial ? MPG

C-Max ?Hybrid Games? commercial ? smart tech

C-Max ?Hybrid Games? commercial ? liftgate

Source (Detroit Press)