• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...
On 10/27/2021 at 2:23 PM, Jedi2155 said:

.....and cannot be driven hard shows itself with the MachE.

I really appreciate that reviewers are checking this and calling out companies on this especially if we are talking about cars advertised as "sporty".

At some point though I think there needs to be some kind of decision made on how performance is handled with EVs. I realize that we are getting to (or are already at) the point where you can "have your cake and eat it too" with an EV that can cover all the practical needs and also go fast but, as far as the "goes fast" part, that should not be on everything. I don't think most EVs should be capable of "driving hard". 

Model 3 + Performance pack is rated for 0-60mph in 3.1s. I would not feel comfortable with my mom driving that car. Just like I would not feel comfortable with my mom driving a car with 400+hp. And before anyone says it, no, different driving modes are not the fix for people like her which are not comfortable with a lot of technology.

I realize that what I am advocating for does probably mean artificial restrictions/governors for some vehicles but I don't think everyone driving super fast cars is safe.

12 minutes ago, kuhla said:

Model 3 + Performance pack is rated for 0-60mph in 3.1s. I would not feel comfortable with my mom driving that car. Just like I would not feel comfortable with my mom driving a car with 400+hp. And before anyone says it, no, different driving modes are not the fix for people like her which are not comfortable with a lot of technology.

I realize that what I am advocating for does probably mean artificial restrictions/governors for some vehicles but I don't think everyone driving super fast cars is safe.

I mean governors have existed for quite a long time, especially on commercial vehicles.  I don't think there should be any issues with putting a reasonable governor on a vehicle.  If they're using the same powertrain you could be cheeky about it and have the governor removed in higher trims or with a "performance pack" upgrade or similar.  Grandma doesn't need 0-60 below 6 seconds.  Aren't a large number of cars electronically limited to 150mph?  Not sure why they even allow that high of top speeds outside of the autobahn or a racetrack, but there's not much difference in limiting a car's acceleration.  Plus, the people who would care about removing governors will flash ECUs or do some other hack to get what they want, just like people who were flashing ECUs 10 years ago for better performance. 

It's a combo of top speed and acceleration but I'm more focused right now on the acceleration. Grandma is going to end up taking the car out of reverse, going into drive and ending up inside the pharmacy still buckled in. The grocery store vehicles don't need that type of acceleration. Leave the high performance to the vehicles designed and marketed just to the enthusiasts.

10 hours ago, kuhla said:

It's a combo of top speed and acceleration but I'm more focused right now on the acceleration. Grandma is going to end up taking the car out of reverse, going into drive and ending up inside the pharmacy still buckled in. The grocery store vehicles don't need that type of acceleration. Leave the high performance to the vehicles designed and marketed just to the enthusiasts.

While I absolutely agree this is an issue - I can likewise envision grandma flooring it by accident on an turn and careening off into the sidewalk - the sad reality is that grandma really shouldn't be driving.  I don't want to go off topic talking about the need to retest older individuals, but we really need to get a handle on that as the baby boomers are all starting to hit that age. 
Likewise I think a 16 year old with a fresh drivers license will invariable abuse that type of acceleration and end up killing/injuring themselves and other people.  Drunk driving with that kind of performance is also a recipe for disaster. 

While I'm normally not a fan of artificial limitation put on things people own, I support the idea of governors/acceleration limits on electric cars because there are safety concerns that override the personal freedoms.  Auto manufacturers need to stop chasing 0-60 times on a family vehicle, instead focusing on a "good enough" performance metric and better safety or efficiency numbers.  MPG/Range isn't particularly sexy, but I'd rather see the focus shifted towards that. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't realize just how similar the dimensions of the xc40 and xc60 are.  They're the same height (1652 mm vs 1653mm), width is only 2 inch difference, or 3 if you include the mirrors (1863 mm vs 1902 mm) and length is the only major difference but still slightly less than 10" (4440 mm vs 4688mm). 

I get the different trim levels and price points but it seems kinda weird, I would have expected a much larger difference in size. 

As much as I'd like to see more stuff from polestar, and I really like the polestar 2, my issue is that I do think there's a much larger US market for PHEVs than full EVs currently. 

Mazda CX-60 (CX-70 in US) PHEV
https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-70

• 18kw battery (estimated 30mi range)
  • Most powerful mazda (this is reminiscent of the Rav4 Prime)
  • AWD with rear wheel bias
  • $38k starting price (maybe)

That seems like a cool option to compete with the rav4 Prime.  Some people might care that's it's also going to be built in america and there are some shared toyota parts. 
I wish the smaller CX-50 was available with a PHEV. 

• 1 month later...

I think we're going to start seeing dealerships get slowly squeezed out and killed off.  They might have to rebrand as "service centers" that predominantly focus on service and maintenance... which is also getting squeezed out because most EVs have dramatically lower maintenance requirements than ICE vehicles. 
It certainly isn't helping that right now a large contingent of vehicle sales at dealerships aren't off the lot, but customers coming in and placing orders with the manufacturer.  The massive mega car dealerships we see today are probably going to seriously downsize over the coming years unless supply chains manage to get unstuck.  As much as I really dislike dealerships, I'm curious if manufacturers are going to be able to smoothly transition to a direct to consumer model. 

I've heard anecdotally that purchasing a vehicle right now is complete garbage and that most EVs/PHEVs/Hybrids are so impacted that this entire years' production slots are sold out and there are waiting lists for 2023 production slots. 

On 6/3/2022 at 8:33 AM, Malaphax said:

I think we're going to start seeing dealerships get slowly squeezed out and killed off.  They might have to rebrand as "service centers" that predominantly focus on service and maintenance... which is also getting squeezed out because most EVs have dramatically lower maintenance requirements than ICE vehicles. 
It certainly isn't helping that right now a large contingent of vehicle sales at dealerships aren't off the lot, but customers coming in and placing orders with the manufacturer.  The massive mega car dealerships we see today are probably going to seriously downsize over the coming years unless supply chains manage to get unstuck.  As much as I really dislike dealerships, I'm curious if manufacturers are going to be able to smoothly transition to a direct to consumer model. 

I've heard anecdotally that purchasing a vehicle right now is complete garbage and that most EVs/PHEVs/Hybrids are so impacted that this entire years' production slots are sold out and there are waiting lists for 2023 production slots. 

Used vehicles are similarly impacted.

My neighbor bought his Model Y in October 2021, and is just sold it for a $5k markup (post tax) after driving it for 16,000 miles and 9 months.

• 1 month later...