Tactically Inept

Official Post Anything Electric Vehicle Related Thread

Jedi2155

So I'm going to probably sell it via Private Party since I'd get < $11k (still not bad considering my net cost was ~$14k) for my Spark through a dealer trade in. I'd feel I'd get between 12-14k Private Party. 2014 model's had a bigger (and better) battery than the '15 and 16.

Wondering where I should post it:

- Craigslist

- Cars.com

- Edmunds?

Anywhere else?

Current listings;

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?zc=91765&rd=99999&stkTypId=28881&mdId=53187&mkId=20053&sf1Nm=price&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=price&sf2Dir=DESC&page=1&perPage=50&searchSource=SORT

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

richard 11k why dont you just keep the car. or let rosefil use it. ?

I bought the car on the idea I would keep it. I still have this option. I've been trying to think of how I would give the car to the wifey The main reasons I began considering this is as follows:

1 - My Spark has an unusually high value to purchase ratio (due primarily to the extremely low purchase price in the first place). I am trying to capitalize on this.

2 - The net increase in cost for a new 2017 Volt would only be between $10-15k more (depending on options). This was my original goal vehicle to own however when I was in the market for a new vehicle last year, this option was not available.

3 - Tax credits - $9000 incentives for a Volt. Bogeyman needs to be slowed down. Projections are that the Tesla Model 3 will not have any of these available for anyone buying after 2018. So I would be paying full price for a Tesla Model 3.

4 - Current plan for wifey is to continue driving the Civic as she is still a relatively new driver. The Spark is better than the Civic still (now that its a year old) but by not selling it, I would not have a sufficient reason to get a Volt in the first place. Not to mention the additional costs.

so my cousins in Canada is working for a company who was contracted by VW (since vw brand is destroyed prob)now offloaded to Audi. they are working on a working prototype hydrogen electric hybrid. H-tron.

about 200hp / high torque and will fit in compact civic/golf sized vehicle ~400km range.

I think the real issue is infrastructure. Ideally if someone could figure out how to convert a standard gas station to also handle hydrogen fillups that might be the push needed to help get hydrogen fuel cell cars off the ground. Last I heard companies were trying to sell the idea of a small unit to produce hydrogen that you would store at your house, but you start running into the same usability issues as electric cars if you go down that route.

I'd love to see hydrogen take off, but I don't think the infrastructure is there (yet)to make it work.

Everyone says in 10 years hydrogen will be a thing but then 10 years later its the same story.

Hydrogen is dying and it should die. Basic physics makes it not a desirable fuel source in current fuel cell technology. Fuel cell efficiency is generally between 40-60% when converting to electricity, 85% if you use the waste heat as well. This is not much better than a super efficient Prius.

When you take that efficiency and consider the efficiency of "electrolysis" (i.e. converting water to hydrogen), it generally takes about 60-80 kWh to create 1 gallon equivalent of gas (~40 kWh). I've heard it costs somewhere around $12-20/kg to produce a gallon of hydrogen using this method. When you consider a Tesla Model S only uses about 76 kWh to drive 240 miles and a fuel cell requires the same amount to drive 40 miles, then it doesn't really compare. The only way to make hydrogen cost effectively is from natural gas through steam reformation and even then its ~$4-6/kg and then you go back to the original problem of relying on fossil fuels.

The only benefit of a fuel cell tech. over EV's are "faster fill ups" in the order of 5-10 minutes. With battery swapping and fast charging technologies this advantage is also negated.

Volumetrically, fuel cell's require all sorts of pumps, fans, and fuel storage that takes up so much room that it doesn't make sense. Most FCHEV's can only carry between 3-6 kg of hydrogen (that's gas gallons equivalent) in the latest 10,000 psi tanks.

All those problems at the vehicle level and I haven't even begun to talk about the infrastructure issues....

While fossil fuels remain supreme in overall capabilities, EV's are simply the more advanced solution at present with far better advantages (energy efficiency, performance, simplicity, reliability etc.). Their only real disadvantage over conventional vehicles is charging time, range, and durability (all of which have feasible solutions already).

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with those points, I don't have much experience with fuel cells but I know a lot of major oems have ongoing programs, especially the Japanese ones.

With regards to the process efficiency, I'd imagine there's room for improvement still if there actually becomes demand.

There is plenty of room for process efficiency but when the theoretical efficiency is so poor, it makes you question why are you even considering it. The only way hydrogen could make sense is if we gather it using energy from another widely available source such as solar (algae)/waste heat (various industrial processes). Other than that I don't see a way to economically make a green hydrogen future.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

article - https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/09/nissan-long-range-leaf-e-plus/

....2019 Nissan Leaf e+....
....226 miles range (up from 150)....
....New 150 kW motor (around 200 HP), which bumps power by 33 percent....
....charges quicker too, able to use CHAdeMO chargers up to 100kW compared to 40kW on the last model....

Catching up but good updates nonetheless.

source - https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/15/volkswagen-ford-partnership-vans-pickups-evs-selfdriving-mobility-services/

In the latest instance of major automakers teaming up, Volkswagen and Ford will work together on commercial vans and pickups, and they could start selling such vehicles by 2022. The companies are also exploring potential collaboration on electric vehicles, self-driving cars and transportation services.

It seems any collaboration on EVs, autonomous vehicles and transportation services is in the early stages, but some of the duo's rivals are also teaming up in those fields.

I wonder if any of this collaboration was included in the ID. I'm guessing no because the ID might be too far along in development.

• 5 weeks later...

article - https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/rivian-announces-700m-investment-round-led-by-amazon-300796549.html

PLYMOUTH, Mich., Feb. 15, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Rivian has announced an equity investment round of $700M led by Amazon. The investment comes on the heels of Rivian's reveal of the all-electric R1T pickup and R1S SUV at the LA Auto Show last November.

Nice.

• 2 months later...

https://www.motortrend.com/news/why-tesla-defines-american-luxury-not-cadillac-lincoln/

WHY TESLA DEFINES AMERICAN LUXURY, NOT CADILLAC OR LINCOLN

When your slogan is "Standard of the World," as Cadillac's was for decades, you have to live up to that promise. When the first tailfins sprouted from the back of a 1948 Cadillac, it symbolized the newfound jet age and the eternal optimism of post-World War II America. Meanwhile, Lincoln epitomized the American way of doing things, with big engines, even bigger sheetmetal, and imaginative mid-century modern designs. Even European automakers bought in on the concept of American exceptionalism with their imitative designs.

But the moment Cadillac and Lincoln started looking over their shoulders at what the European luxury makers were doing, both lost the plot.

While Cadillac has spent the past three decades copying BMW's homework, and Lincoln spent the same time building cost-cut, rebadged Fords and Mercurys, the soul of American luxury escaped Detroit. Today, it has settled in sunny California.

• 1 month later...

article - https://newatlas.com/eu-ev-acoustic-noise-avas/60022/

From July 1, any electric vehicle with four or more wheels that wants to be approved for road use in the European Union is going to have to have an "Acoustic Vehicle Alert System," or AVAS, fitted, making a continuous noise of at least 56 decibels if the car's going 20 km/h (12 mph) or slower.

I expected something like this to show up eventually. Not a fan.

Yea seems like a noise pollution issue.  I understand they don't want dead silent cars hitting blind people (or more likely distracted people) when they're going through high traffic pedestrian areas but this seems like a shitty bandaid fix.  This seems like a solution in need of a problem - people just need to be alert of their surroundings, especially when traversing an area that has a mix of pedestrian and vehicle access.  I'm sure you could do serious damage on an electric scooter or motorcycle but those are exempt as well, seems like this law is an example of the more arbitrary laws that the EU comes up with. 

• 2 weeks later...