Sign in to follow this  
Jedi2155

Official Post Anything Electric Vehicle Related Thread

article - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp28784342/2020-chevy-bolt-ev-range/

The 2020 Chevy Bolt EV will go further on a charge than before, with the EPA reporting that the electric hatchback's range goes up to 259 miles, from 238. Chevy says that this 8 percent improvement is due to changes to the chemistry of the cell electrodes in the battery. While the upgraded lithium-ion battery pack remains the same physical size as before and is packaged the same in the vehicle, the different chemistry means that its energy capacity goes up from 60.0-kWh to 66.0-kWh.

Chevy's order guide does not show any other significant changes to the 2020 Bolt other than a few new features and colors (Oasis Blue and Cayenne Orange Metallic join the palette, while the bright-yellow Shock color has been dropped). The 200-horsepower electric motor remains the same.

This new, bigger range number puts the Bolt EV in front of several newer competitors, if only just. The Hyundai Kona Electric is close behind, at an EPA-rated 258 miles, while the Kia Soul EV sits at 243 miles, the Tesla Model 3 Standard Range plus offers 240 miles, and the Kia Niro EV sits at 239 miles.

Small improvement but nice. I would like to see if they could build a slight larger vehicle (think CUV) with the same tech at maybe the cost of some range. Probably would not help the price though since it already starts at $37k.

"Here's every electric vehicle on sale in the US for 2020 and its range"
article - https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/every-electric-car-ev-range-audi-chevy-tesla/

Someone pushed it together into a nice table and added a price-per-mile column.

image.png

On paper those Bolt numbers are looking pretty solid. Low price (for an EV) and good range.

27 minutes ago, T1no said:

.....with 250 + range.....

I feel that part is super important. I really should be able to at least drive to San Diego and back.

On 8/22/2019 at 3:02 PM, kuhla said:

article - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp28784342/2020-chevy-bolt-ev-range/

Small improvement but nice. I would like to see if they could build a slight larger vehicle (think CUV) with the same tech at maybe the cost of some range. Probably would not help the price though since it already starts at $37k.

The Bolt is commonly available new right now for around $28k BEFORE (right now its $31k) incentives meaning ending price is somewhere around $21k-$24k post incentive. Currently used Bolts are around $17-22k (many more are expected come off 3 year leases in the next several months)

5 hours ago, kuhla said:

"Here's every electric vehicle on sale in the US for 2020 and its range"
article - https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/every-electric-car-ev-range-audi-chevy-tesla/

Someone pushed it together into a nice table and added a price-per-mile column.

image.png

On paper those Bolt numbers are looking pretty solid. Low price (for an EV) and good range.

Standard Range (SR) Model 3 can still be ordered for $35,000 but that's 220 miles. There was a Long Range RWD available for some time as well.

SR  RWD | 220 | $35,000 | $159.09

SR+ RWD | 240 | $38990 | $162.45

LR AWD | 310 | $47999 | $154.80

Before the LR RWD was discontinued it was 

LR RWD | 325 | $43990 | $135.35

The Bolt based on the pricing I mentioned above is closer to: 

Bolt | 238 | $28000 | $117.65

The prices above are all before incentives.

For shits and giggles I bought my Spark EV in 2015 for around $12.5k AFTER incentives.

Spark EV | 82 | $12500 | $152.43

18 minutes ago, Jedi2155 said:

Standard Range (SR) Model 3 can still be ordered for $35,000 but that's 220 miles.

SR  RWD | 220 | $35,000 | $159.09

If I go on tesla.com, the starting purchase price for the Model 3 is $38,990.

1 hour ago, kuhla said:

If I go on tesla.com, the starting purchase price for the Model 3 is $38,990.

You have to go to a store to order a Standard Range ($35,000 MSRP + $1,200 delivery fee, most manufacturers charge $500-800 or so) at the store and get a downgrade. Features will be removed

Presently Tesla has a logistics issue so its cheaper for them to include the hardware and software lock it, than to offer multiple trims and supply chain issues associated with it. I heard it costs Tesla something like $2-4,000 to actually deliver a car to a customer presently due to said logistics issues.