Official Post Anything Electric Vehicle Related Thread

Jedi2155

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-outsells-bmw-7-series-audi-a8-mercedes-benz-s-class-and-lexus-ls-in-us-in-q1-of-2013/

• BMW 7-Series: 2,338 units
  • Mercedes-Benz S-Class: 3,077 units
  • Audi A8: 1,462 units
  • Lexus LS: 2,860 units
  • Tesla Model S: Over 4,750 units

The logical question that follows would be related to price. Does the Model S outsell these vehicles because it’s cheaper? No, that’s not the case here. Below you’ll find the base MSRP for the cheapest version of all of the vehicles listed above.

• Audi A8 $72,200
  • BMW 7 Series $74,195
  • Mercedes S-Class $92,350
  • Lexus LS $71,990

Then there’s the Model S, which depending on pack size and whether or not you opt for the Performance version, with the following pricing structure (base MSRP without incentives)

• Tesla Model S $69,900 or $79,900 or $94,900

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Based on current Leaf sale and historical Prius sales we might be seeing Volts/EV's being as popular as the Prius is today by 2020. Nissan has reached their 100,000 EV sales mark since 2010 (3 years only).

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/07/ennissan-20130723.html

Toyota sold 123,000 original Prius models between 1997 and 2003. (Sold at $17,000, cost $32,000 to build).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_%28XW10%29

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

more info + source - http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/10/2015-volkswagen-e-golf-frankfurt-2013/

Volkswagen has never been one to put all its eggs in one basket, be it brands, models, bodystyles or powertrain technologies. Germany's largest automaker is a major player in both gasoline and diesel internal combustion engines, but it has also dabbled in hybrid powertrains more recently, and it's cranking up its pure-electric campaign as we speak. A key part of that initiative is the new e-Golf that has just rolled out on VW's show stand here at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

The e-Golf is powered by an 113-horsepower motor that generates 199 pound-feet of torque with juice supplied by its 24.2-kWh battery. VW board member Christian Klingler tells Autoblog that the hatchback is slated to come to select North American markets in early 2015, but declined to confirm whether the car will be available for purchase or a lease-only scheme.

Either way, when it arrives, the electric Golf should bring with it VW's first set of LED headlamps and blue-line trim through its headlamps and grille. More importantly, it will also whir into dealerships with a 0-62 mph time of 12.4 seconds, a top speed of 87 mph and a 118-mile range. It will also feature two different driving modes and no less than four regenerative braking modes. For more information, scroll down to view the official press release.

That motor is way too weak for that car imo. 12.4s 0-60 is just sad for full ev.

I don't know much about the car but just from those numbers it looks like whatever motor they choose was undersized for its application.

For reference This motor does around 200 nm torque, chevy spark ev motor does over double that torque (400+). Our hybrid motor does 250 nm.

• 1 month later...

If there was an oil company I would work for, it would probably Shell. They've always seemed like a very pragmatic and generally more caring of the many oil companies. Their continued studies (and investments) into future greener technologies have been particularly greener. My personal vision of the future energy sources is wind + solar + natural gas/energy storage for backup.

Shell is looking into the future 50 years from now and show what kind of scenarios would occur based current trends.

shell%20new%20scenarios%20oceans%20mount

I think we'll most likely see something on mountains front as well.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/10/18/shell-predicts-petroleum-powered-cars-nearly-gone-by-2070/

I've been especially intrigued by their developments in the ship based LPG refineries. Especially their up and coming prelude refinery:

LNG_ship_online.jpg

The upcoming Prelude
Untitled_3.jpg

Shell_platform.jpg

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/in-depth/the-big-story/shell-set-to-build-worlds-biggest-floating-structure/1009213.article

Food for thought.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the 50/50 weight split, most of what is good by BMW was carried over here. Although some aspects are weird (I heard felt doors?!). It has good range, performance, charging speed, driveability, and a optional range extender. I like it. I don't like the price though (If it was 35k then yeah).

On a sidenote: comparison of EV performances.

Compare_Speed_Power_zps7929bced.jpg

You can't compare a Spark EV to a BMW i3 in terms of capability. The range extender is only $4k extra since its optional.

The higher price car is simply because its a better built and designed vehicle that focus on other areas of driving. BMW...the ultimate driving machine hahaha.

But really, you buy the i3 because you want a BMW style vehicle that's electric. Rather than I want an electric car and can I get in a BMW badge?

Additionally, there are plenty of times where I could use the range extender for work related purposes (I get reimbursed on the mileage). I've been using a lot of gas lately on my Volt, I hit 6.6 gallons used in only 3.5 month's :'(. Last year I used 7 gallons over 12 months, that's 4x my normal rate.

I think you can find better cars at most (not all) EV price points. EVs are still technically overpriced for most people as most people do not put a huge value on the EV drive train compared to its actual cost. Very few have been able add value to other aspects of the vehicle to subsidize the cost of the drive train. Relatively though, its still a better value for example than the Ford Focus EV though.