Tactically Inept

120 Hz Monitors

kuhla

This would probably be the ideal search filter to use for the Korean monitors. I don't know what you used. There are some in the low $300 in there. --- http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_ItemCond...pRatedSellers=1

Avoid glass. It's not just like a glossy coat, it's applied after the fact and the chance of getting dust trapped behind it is high and it is not easy to remove.

Note that many of them come with a very cheap stand that only offers tilt, no swivel, pivot or height adjustment. Some people bought aftermarket stands on monoprice (VESA compatible) stuff like this.

Remember the risk of dead pixels, there may be some, there may be none, but there is no return policy unlike all the other brands we can get here. I believe there are 2-3 sellers offering a perfect pixel guarantee but I'm not sure what that entails.

Inputs, many have only a DVI input and that's it. There are a few with multi-input and they have slightly increased input lag but I THINK they are still under one frame even with the added lag.

In terms of colors, I'll leave that for Richard since he actually has one.

Response time is 6ms which is competitive enough considering you are getting IPS which is a big increase in color fidelity over TN.

http://www2.120hz.net/forum.php covers other brands and models than just the 120hz model.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5885/the-ach...hd-sips-display anandtech did a quickie review of them in case you missed it.

I will most likely be purchasing this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Voltage-Pixel...=item4aba04431a

The monitor is certainly a step up from other panels we have in the US. That being said, I do feel as though this is one of the more risky electronics purchases I'm making. I also hope that the shipping is not too long of a process. I do not want a single monitor setup for any substantial amount of time.

While it would be pretty cool to have a 120hz monitor I don't have the time to wait for one, nor do I think I'd have the patience to do what richard does and switch to 120hz sometimes. Also I would like to see if the display manufacturers will end up making some better displays in the coming years.

My monitor arrived today. It's big, it's bold and it's beautiful. I have 1 dead pixel, middle screen lower third about 3 inches from the bottom. Other than that the monitor is clean, the stand looks relatively level and no issues setting it up (whats the set up lol). The second monitor looks slightly washed out compared to the shimian, however part of this is because I tended to run monitors a bit dark compared to some people. With this monitor since there are no real display calibration settings I will be running it a bit brighter than I am used to. I haven't tested any videos or game just yet, I'll probably be doing that this afternoon. This combined with the faster internet will make fun and exciting day today.

My monitor arrived today. It's big, it's bold and it's beautiful. I have 1 dead pixel, middle screen lower third about 3 inches from the bottom. Other than that the monitor is clean, the stand looks relatively level and no issues setting it up (whats the set up lol). The second monitor looks slightly washed out compared to the shimian, however part of this is because I tended to run monitors a bit dark compared to some people. With this monitor since there are no real display calibration settings I will be running it a bit brighter than I am used to. I haven't tested any videos or game just yet, I'll probably be doing that this afternoon. This combined with the faster internet will make fun and exciting day today.

With the higher pixel density, the off center location of the dead pixel, is it satisfactory? Is the pixel stuck pink? white? black?

The dead pixel seems to be stuck black. It's not in the center so certainly not readily noticeable. I think this is livable. Unless a website has a very white color scheme it's not something I can even see without getting close. As far as 3d applications or gaming I have a hard time thinking that would be something I would notice. As I said, I'll be doing some video testing and games during this afternoon and evening.

• 5 months later...

soo where is this now ?

im thinking switching my main to one of this hi res ips

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tempered-Glass-27-Inch-irun-ZT-SH270QHD-2560x1440-WQHD-Quad-HD-Monitor-S-IPS-/140896765546?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20ce1a066a

can you guys recommend something bettah, cheaper maybe ?

i dont care much about 120hz

This is where I got mine from:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Monitors-Projectors-Accs-/162497/i.html?_ipg=&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=dream-seller

You may want to consider paying slightly extra for "pixel perfect" since otherwise it can have up to 5 dead pixels. I only have 1 and it's stuck gray so I'm pretty happy with the small extra cost. Also look around some of them have better stands now than what I have.

soo i bought them from micro center.

soo far soo good.

few minor complain.

bezel is kinda big but w.e

could a sworn i saw image retentions when i first boot it up. now its gone.

pro

sharp. i love it

colors is vibrant

i dont see any dead pixel YET ?!

i did not check for edge bleeding but i dont care enough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

So I'm still using this monitor to this day but its getting mighty long in the tooth (approaching 6 years of continuous overclocked usage). Do you think I should sell it and if I do I'd temporary swap it with my U2410 until a better secondary display can be found.

Know anyone interested? Not sure of what the remaining value is. What are your guys "oldest" regularly used displays?