What are you reading?

On 7/28/2020 at 9:29 AM, Malaphax said:

I'm not sure what I might start next, but I'm leaning towards The Last Emperox by John Scalzi, I've enjoyed the other two books in the series so I might as well finish it. 

This ended with a whimper.  The overall story was interesting but it felt like the author had a cool idea and didn't know how to end it.  I understand that certain major plot points are left intentionally unfinished but it still feels like he wrote each book individually without an overall plan for the series. 

I moved on to another series from Brandon Sanderson - The Stormlight Archive: Way of Kings
I wasn't nearly as impressed with the Mistborn series as some people were, but they were easy enough to read.  I've heard the stormlight archive series is better, but I can't tell if that's just a bunch of fanboys being excited by the newer series.  Sanderson generally tries to create very rules based magic systems and the first chapter already had exact rules descriptions for one of the magic systems.  I suspect that means the rules will be strictly followed until a major storybeat when a main character breaks them because something something chosen one. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: Woops.

Just finished The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. Apparently it was initially self-published with Kickstarter.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22733729-the-long-way-to-a-small-angry-planet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Way_to_a_Small,_Angry_Planet

It was not bad but I did not really enjoy it. The spaceship's crew was just too much of motley mix for me to take it seriously. The  wacky, barely contained, engineer? The tech nerd who wants to have relations with the computer? The promiscuous pilot? The chef boyardee cook? The grizzled captain with a heart of gold? The list goes on. The book slowly has crisis after crises and each crisis is this perfectly engineered set of circumstances that allows each character to tell about their backstory and explain them more as a character. Maybe I could have still been invested at that point if the wider universe it was set in was interesting but that didn't do much for me either. I found myself getting somewhat bored towards the end and will not be continuing the series.

Started something new but so early I'm not ready to post about it

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 11:52 AM, Malaphax said:

Currently working on Blindsight.  This book feels very crunchy with it's sci-fi elements and some aspects remind me a bit of the expanse.  There are some genuinely strange parts of the book, like the fact that a resurrected vampire is leading the crew and this is taken at face value.  Unlike the more generic vampire tropes he's described as a non-human, almost like a long extinct alpha-predator.  Also the main character basically has super-autism (I hate this trope so much) but unlike some of the other times I've seen this trope used the main character actually comes across as screwed up and creepy and not just mildly socially awkward.

So I am currently reading this after randomly picking it from some recommended list somewhere. Was talking to Malaphax about it and he mentioned he read that book. Found the old post. I'm maybe only 1/4 of the way in and something about the writing style feels strange. I have to read it pretty slowly or I just lose the scene. Some of the ideas are kinda fun. Not sure where it is going yet.

• 1 month later...

Finished Blindsight by Peter Watts that I mentioned in the previous post. It was OK I guess. He played with some ideas that I have not come across before which were mildly interesting but overall it did not leave much of an impression on me. I mentioned before that the writing style required me to read slower. Oh well.

Moved on to something else but too early to talk about. After this I will be out of "fresh" material and I will have to lookup some lists again.

On 9/1/2020 at 10:01 AM, Malaphax said:

I moved on to another series from Brandon Sanderson - The Stormlight Archive: Way of Kings
I wasn't nearly as impressed with the Mistborn series as some people were, but they were easy enough to read.  I've heard the stormlight archive series is better, but I can't tell if that's just a bunch of fanboys being excited by the newer series.  Sanderson generally tries to create very rules based magic systems and the first chapter already had exact rules descriptions for one of the magic systems.  I suspect that means the rules will be strictly followed until a major storybeat when a main character breaks them because something something chosen one. 

So I finished the first book and just rolled right into the second.  The magic system is actually very loose in this book, although there are a few instances where they describe very detailed uses of magic that follows a strict ruleset.  The overall plot was better than mistborn, and the point of view characters feel more interesting.  There's also a much larger focus on conflict with the vast majority of the book being set during a war, but large sections of the book talked about surrounding politics or elements outside of the war. 

Overall the book is good and I'm interested enough to see where the rest of the series goes.  I would probably steer people towards this instead of the mistborn series. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, kuhla said:

Moved on to something else but too early to talk about. After this I will be out of "fresh" material and I will have to lookup some lists again.

Currently reading Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seveneves

I'm 100 pages in and it's definitely hard scifi but still easy to read. I have read a few things from Neal Stephenson but none of them have ever made a big impact on me. Similarly with this book so far, it's basically such a consistent "downer" that there has to be a big twist/upset coming otherwise it's just going to be a grind. I'm unlikely to abandon it but we will see what happens.

I double checked and this will be the last book in my queue and then I need to find new material. I'm going to make a point to focus a bit less on critics recommendations this time and focus more on just enjoyment.