Tactically Inept

Skin testing.

kuhla

Alright everyone, over the next few days I will be trying out a FEW different skins. Not just one.

There are varying degrees of customizability with some of them which is a big deal but none of them are completely modifiable.

Easy to install and also easy to un-install so nobody freak out!

If you want to reply with your thoughts on some of them, that would be cool too.

So. First skin test is this skin. This guy screwed up the background. I'll be changing that in a second....

Report anything you find that is broken.

EDIT: Changelog.

Added a quick new image I found just googling just now that wouldn't be completely broken, unlike the one that came with the skin. Will probably change again to something lighter.

Added twitch icon, now top right, which is nicer imho.

EDIT: I don't like this font. Will probably change.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean. In the same line but to the left as opposed to right side?

This default font is truly intolerable. Changing NOW.

EDIT: Font changed. I don't see anything screwed up and I can read without straining!

EDIT 2: The "buttons" showing unread content are not obvious enough. There is such a small difference. Do not like. Easy change though.

EDIT 3: Modified read/unread forum sections to be much more obvious. Read is grey/black. Unread is a blue.

EDIT 4: This background is too busy. Too much light and dark. Will change soon....

Ok. This is the last post for today about this because I've already sunk some time into modifying it. There was at least one glaring issue that Malaphax had to help me test. The font was apparently completely different looking in Chrome as opposed to Firefox. This whole thing is temporary but I do want to hear everyone's criticisms of it. Everything. The good, the bad, the very bad. If it is horrendous looking, I need to hear it. It will help me when looking for a new skin to test. Hopefully after a few skins, I can settle on one to keep long long term.

If you just can't stand the skin, there should be an option in the far bottom left for "Change Theme" that lets you go back to the default. If you don't see it, let me know.

Yes. That is part of the testing. I want to have one light text on dark theme as an option for those users who prefer it.

I mostly agree with you Chris that I think I prefer dark text on light theme. Something of that kind will become the default once I find one I like. I have also switched back to the stock skin for myself.

More testing to come.....

It looks like everyone has switch back to the stock skin. Noted. I will make that the default again.

I will leave the dark skin there as an option if anyone wants to use it. You can change it bottom left just like before. I probably won't spend anymore time modifying that skin.

One thing I wanted to bring up was width. I would kind of like to fix the width. Currently it is not fixed, just set to a % of screen width (80% I think). For longer paragraphs I feel this is very hard to read. Note a website like anandtech.com which seems to have their width fixed at 1000 pixels. Click on an article. It's very easy to read quickly. You don't have to "work" to follow a sentence to the next line. The dark skin was a fixed width. I will try to set a fixed width on the stock skin and would like to hear some impressions about it. One of the things that will become possible will be if you are using a screen with a width of 1920 or larger, you will be able to half screen (windows key + left or right arrow) without any change in formatting.

It looks like everyone has switch back to the stock skin. Noted. I will make that the default again.

I will leave the dark skin there as an option if anyone wants to use it. You can change it bottom left just like before. I probably won't spend anymore time modifying that skin.

One thing I wanted to bring up was width. I would kind of like to fix the width. Currently it is not fixed, just set to a % of screen width (80% I think). For longer paragraphs I feel this is very hard to read. Note a website like anandtech.com which seems to have their width fixed at 1000 pixels. Click on an article. It's very easy to read quickly. You don't have to "work" to follow a sentence to the next line. The dark skin was a fixed width. I will try to set a fixed width on the stock skin and would like to hear some impressions about it. One of the things that will become possible will be if you are using a screen with a width of 1920 or larger, you will be able to half screen (windows key + left or right arrow) without any change in formatting.

The default was 87%. I was close by eyeballing it. I now have a fixed width set. If you half screen it (and you are using a 1080p or higher resolution screen) then formatting should not change. Let me hear your input on testing this, good or bad.

EDIT: Found one bug. Not sure if I want to do anything about it yet but youtube auto embeds are wide.

thank you i really didnt like the dark one and i couldnt figure out how to change it back

It's changed now. You should see default.

:D Kuhla raged so hard last time when Tino and I commented that we couldn't figure out how to change the stock skin. (We didn't read his post all the way down and defaulted to reading Richard's one line post regarding the ability to change skin).

Didn't know about the window + arrow key function. Nifty. Will remember.

It's rather narrow for my taste. I have more dead space than I do actual forums on my resolution. Is there a way for me to either set personal options to change this, or have the site scale to 1000px or 65% whichever is larger? I have no idea how hard the coding is and which option would be easier.

It's rather narrow for my taste. I have more dead space than I do actual forums on my resolution. Is there a way for me to either set personal options to change this, or have the site scale to 1000px or 65% whichever is larger? I have no idea how hard the coding is and which option would be easier.

It's not a per-user setting. It is very easy to change but it is part of the CSS code for the entire skin. It can be set for % or an exact pixel width. I think you and Richard have 2560 width screens. On my 1920 width screen, with the current set width, content fills exactly half of my screen so yes, you have more blank space than content on your screen. What I can do..... actually.... let me get back to you....

Is there a way to disable the rich text editor? I get a lot issues when I try to embed items, and my cursor starts going wacko in places it don't belong.

In the upper left corner of reply, above the "bold" button, there is what looks like a light switch. Click it. It disables rich text editing. You can also do it selectively by selecting text and hitting the erase button which erases formatting.