Tactically Inept

Defense Distributed

kuhla

link 1 - http://defcad.org/

link 2 - http://defensedistributed.com/

I thought I had posted this before?! My memory is slipping bad today.

Those websites offer up the files to print gun parts on 3D printers.

Their most recent accomplishment is an AR lower and they have already put almost 1000 rounds through it without issue. Every other part of an AR can be bought without license. This is legal because there is regulations that allow you to build your own rifle but what if there is a new assault ban? It would be impossible to regulate. I think it is very cool.

• 2 months later...

They ended up making a working one-shot, 100% plastic pistol. You can find youtube videos of it and news coverage around.

And now the government is taking them down even though manufacturing your own weapons has always been legal. New legislation in the works.

Try source 1 in my original post.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/feds-plans-plastic-gun-pulled-website-article-1.1340093

The government's original reasoning is horseshit. They are basically saying because the info was hosted on MEGA, that it was the equivalent of exporting firearms. That's the biggest pile of shit legal excuse I've heard in a long time.

The issue that I keep coming back to is that substantial increase in firearms legislation is not going to stop criminals for acquiring firearms illegally, or people using firearms in an illegal manner. But considering the firearms homicides are at record lows... http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/ I have a hard time understanding why people are letting mentally deranged people scare them into making shitty policy. If someone abuses firearms and happens to be mentally unstable, I would be far more likely to support increased mental health care or better mental health reporting for background checks than anything limiting weapons manufacture/purchase.

I'm assuming the point they are trying to make is that you can make a cheaper, simpler, home-made firearms too with just a metal pipe. The Liberator is more of a proof of concept than anything else. It was 100% made from a 3D printer with only 1 metal part and that is an extremely common one. More complex designs can exist in the future.

I agree with you, although my question would be about the strength of plastics that can come out of a 3d printing process. Are they strong enough for repeated uses? Can you make a 3d gun with the exception of certain parts (namely barrel)? What limitations are there? I certainly believe that the more likely event would be creating a mix and match of parts. Buying a barrel as the major component and then making/customizing certain other parts of the firearm seems not only likely, but incredibly cool. Using better quality materials as a base to build upon seems incredibly practical. I also wonder if as more 3d printing and hackerspaces become available, that the quality will increase dramatically from simply flimsy plastic parts to more serious and workable products.

• 6 months later...

They ended up making a working one-shot, 100% plastic pistol. You can find youtube videos of it and news coverage around.

And now the government is taking them down even though manufacturing your own weapons has always been legal. New legislation in the works.

....and so it begins in earnest....

source - http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/23/philadelphia-3d-printed-gun-ban/

The Liberator made quite a name for itself a few months back when it became the first functioning all-3D printed gun, and while its maker designed it with mass distribution in mind, we now know one place where it's unwelcome: Philadelphia. The city of Brotherly Love lived up to its name yesterday, when the city council voted unanimously to ban folks from being able to print plastic pistols with which to shoot each other. That's right, it is now illegal to manufacture guns via 3D printer in Philadelphia. As of this writing, Philly's the first city to put such a ban in place, and it's not in response to a a rash of plastic pistols flooding the streets, either -- Philadelphia Magazine reports that it's just a preventative measure. Nice to see a city government trying to stop a problem before it starts, but we're betting it won't be long before someone in Philly takes to the courts to challenge the ban.

• 1 year later...