Tactically Inept

New Domain Name

kuhla

A decision will be made in the next 24 hours for a new domain name. If you want your opinion heard, post in this thread. Tacinept.com is gone. A new one shall rise in its place. Available and random ideas without pruning out rediculous:

tacinept.net

tinept.com or tinept.net

tacticinept.com or tacticinept.net

tactinept.com or tactinept.net <---- actually kind of like this one....

tainept.com or tainept.net

Absolutely no phonetic spellings (takinept.com) or leet speak (tac1nept.com) will even be considered. I don't want to have any "clan" or "guild" named address either. Too old hat. Game Theory name was kind of fun for a while but I'm not sure if it is still relevant or not. Feel free to suggest ideas. No other TLDs than .net or .com because I think .us or .info or .biz are just ugly even if they are a tiny bit cheaper.

Once a new domain is chosen, a series of things will happen:

• The forum will go down for minimum an hour or two and maximum a whole day. During which time I will be taking care of....
  • Ensuring all the assets are linking properly to the new domain and not the temp one we are using now.
  • Update forum software to the latest version which is mainly just bug fixes. Should be a minor thing.
  • Open up and turn on email registration for new members and make sure it works with the new domain, hosting, etc.
  • Various testing

In the very beginning, I think the group wanted something really silly for a clan name in online games where we were always goofing around. Initially it was: United Retards the tag for that was [uR]

Then we wanted something less "stupid" sounding so I think then it became: Tactically Inept tag for that was [TI]

I don't quite remember when Game Theory appeared or why but the tag for that was [GT]

Either way, I think Tactically Inept sticked around the longest and was the most used overall. Sort of a nicer but still kind of silly sounding name.

We swapped to game theory when we were told that another clan already used the moniker tactically inept. Richard was told that they didn't want us using their name on our website, and they politely proved they had been around longer. We moved on to game theory after a time (it also sounds even less stupid sounding than tactically inept). We did still retain the domain though.

Right now I'm more inclined to go with tactinept.com or tactinept.net I think both of those are solid. If we want to completely change the clan name that's fine by me as well, but I don't think we truly have the cohesion to vote on something like that properly.

We swapped to game theory when we were told that another clan already used the moniker tactically inept. Richard was told that they didn't want us using their name on our website, and they politely proved they had been around longer. We moved on to game theory after a time (it also sounds even less stupid sounding than tactically inept). We did still retain the domain though.

Right now I'm more inclined to go with tactinept.com or tactinept.net I think both of those are solid. If we want to completely change the clan name that's fine by me as well, but I don't think we truly have the cohesion to vote on something like that properly.

Really? Someone else was using it? I can't remember that at all. I just googled a bit and can't find anything on google that doesn't refer to us.

Tactically Inept at least sounds unique.

Game Theory is not unique at all. There are other clans/guilds that have that name. Probably because game theory is an actual thing.

I really don't mind. We should really play a game together and make a clan. :D

Fire&s [FA] --- kinda ...hm <_<

SynthMonik [sM] -- ...<_<

I give up.

We should really play a game together and make a clan. :D

There is always people playing some game on mumble. The onus is upon you to join or not. I often play games by myself too.

With no one really putting up too many suggestions and ideas, it seems very likely at this point I will probably grab tactinept.com

The guy did post on our forum describing his situation actually. Its probably in the forum thread somewhere if we look hard enough. Tactically Inept is on another clan and not completely unique.

I looked around in some of our older threads. There was one quote from you saying you visited their ventrilo and talked with someone. I just spent 10 minutes googling, trying to find anything about them. I can't. Everything "Tactically Inept" references us. Wait, I found ONE mention of a world of warcraft guild, with 2 members that has been inactive for years. Either way, we have claimed the name as far as I'm concerned.

One vote against!

Are there clan hazing rules? Like throw someone in a dungeon of lvl 50 monsters and survive for 5 minutes to be part of the clan?

1. Ok we are now running on newer software version 3.4.3 (mostly bugfix upgrade from 3.4.2 which we were on previously).
  2. The new domain should be up and running fine but I'm still making sure all links go to the proper domain. Please update your bookmarks: http://www.tactinept.com/forums/
  3. I'm also trying to get email registration up and running. Will update once I'm confident that is working.
  4. Various admin-side setting changes.
  5. I know profile pics aren't working. I'm trying to get that up.

Please let me know if you find bugs!

Registration should be open now. I tested it earlier and it seemed to work. I'm not super happy with how it is implemented but for now, it's ok.

I will be sending out a mass email to everyone currently a member (some people haven't logged in for a LONG time) to see if anyone comes back.