Tactically Inept

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

Malaphax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act

It's also known more colloquially as "Obamacare." Currently it's still going through several major phases of implementation with the next very major phase being on January 2014. Which means several companies have recently been doing things like this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/forever-21-memo_n_3769605.html?utm_hp_ref=business

Or on a more macro scale we can also observe things like this:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-02/obamacare-full-frontal-953000-jobs-created-2013-77-or-731000-are-part-time

The real concern is if this particular piece of legislation is the biggest contributor to substantially more part time workers, or if there are other market forces at play. Keep in mind that while many companies might say that this particular mandate is driving them towards part-time jobs, how much of that is actually an excuse to pay lower wages or hire more hourly employees. How much of this is bandwagoning, or even completely unwarranted? Is this a form of corporate protest or merely the act of doing business?

There have also been protests with regards to a living wage and while that is a bit tangential, does the increase in part timer workers and general worker dissatisfaction grow because of these company policies? Should we have just gone full bore into nationalized medical care like every other western country? Would that have really diminished our supposedly higher quality of care? We also have the health care exchanges coming online soon enough, maybe that will be another major tipping point.

I also think that the legislation is rather massive in scope, and while there are certainly some controversial sections, there are also several sections that broker no arguement. I believe one specific example pertains to increasing the amount of time college students can stay on their parents health coverage. I think this is one of the largest pieces of legislation passed in recent memory, I wonder what it will look like in a few years time.

Keep in mind that while many companies might say that this particular mandate is driving them towards part-time jobs, how much of that is actually an excuse to pay lower wages or hire more hourly employees. How much of this is bandwagoning, or even completely unwarranted? Is this a form of corporate protest or merely the act of doing business?

I think a bit of both. Even 4-5 years at my CSUF job, before obamacare, they told us that certain positions were strictly limited to under 20 hours to prevent having to pay any benefits of any kind. I think with all the new requirements it's now a combination of employers who don't want to pay with some using it just as an excuse.