Sign in to follow this  
Jedi2155

Monitor Discussion

I received my monitor back from the RMA at Acer yesterday. Some notes/ramblings:

I sent them back the full retail box, they did not send me back a retail box, in fact they just sent a monitor/stand. Speaking of which the stand has a big scratch on the base, and there are some minor scuff marks on the bezel of the display. None of these were on the unit I sent in.

Acer claims to have replaced the MB, and LCD panel. They also clearly state this display has no dead pixels. And they're mostly right.

I found 1 dead pixel on the far right side, about 3" up and 1" in from the bottom right corner. It's not especially noticeable.

I'll try using a pixel unstuck program on it for a few hours just to make sure, but as it stands right now I'm rather certain it's dead and not stuck.

There is some blacklight bleed predominantly on the bottom right of the display and some minor on the top left. The bottom right on this particular model is said to have at least some bleed. I do not consider the amount of backlight bleed an issue.

I now have to take a few days to decide on if I want to be an ultra hardass with Acer, or if I'm going to take what I've got and not push my luck. I'm a little annoyed that they sent me back a unit with a scratch on the stand, and that they did not send me a retail box, instead opting to send me a refurbished/repaired unit (I haven't checked the serial number yet). Honestly the minor imperfections on the stand/bezel are easily overlooked, but the dead pixel... I'm not sure. I have 1 dead/locked pixel on my current korean IPS and it's much more central than on the Acer.

Technically I'm also concerned about Acer's return policy for dead pixels, their website suggests that a display can have up to 16 defects, they count each sub-pixel as a defect so roughly 5 dead pixels. When I was sending back my original display I was rather certain I had several dead pixels all located in a single area, which they allow returns for, but I'm uncertain if they're going to accept this monitor back for a single pixel outside of the central section of the display.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping it.

Acer is considered a budget brand (a very large one though) and I don't consider them to have the best customer service. Their CEO's vision echoes this very much as their primary goal is compete solely on price and market share.

It's also typical of a company to not return your original retail box if you're doing RMA. Having owned Acer products in the past, I would probably not buy from them again unless its a very cheap item I would consider to be "throwaway" if all else fails. I would never spend a large sum on money on that company or its sub companies. Lastly, that has just been my opinion of their general company philosophy and processes, I still believe they make worthwhile products that I would occasionally purchase. I just see them as a "no frills" company.

source - http://anandtech.com/show/9303/nvidia-launches-mobile-gsync

With embedded DisplayPort (eDP) now being a common fixture in high-end notebooks these days, NVIDIA will be able to do away with the G-Sync module entirely and rely just on the variable timing and panel self-refresh functionality built in to current versions of eDP. eDP's variable timing functionality was of course the basis of desktop DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync (along with AMD's Freesync implementation), and while the technology is a bit different in laptops, the end result is quite similar. Which is to say that NVIDIA will be able to drive variable refresh laptops entirely with standardized eDP features, and will not be relying on proprietary features or hardware as they do with desktop G-Sync.

HMMMMMMMMMMM.

In fact for these reasons I would not be surprised to eventually see NVIDIA release a G-Sync 2.0 for desktops using just DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync (for qualified monitors only, of course), however NVIDIA obviously isn't talking about such a thing at this time.

INDEED. HMMM.

The second major G-Sync announcement coming from NVIDIA today is that G-Sync is receiving windowed mode support, with that functionality being rolled into NVIDIA's latest drivers.

Good. That seems a bit overdue.

Honestly just read the source link... there is kind of a lot of details like these and I don't want to break it all down here...

Asus is releasing a ROG version of the Acer 1440p 144hz IPS display with gsync.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/33.htm#asus_pg279q

They're also releasing a 34" curved display 75hz

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/33.htm#asus_34_curved

I recently enabled the Gsync windowed and fullscreen option. I haven't noticed much in the way of issues, but I did see one post talking about possible performance impacts, I'll A:B test this when I get a chance later this evening.

I haven't installed a driver hotfix, but I might want to do that as well:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/38817/

I don't think I've seen anything indicating the ideal eyes-from-screen distance for the curved monitors. You seen anything?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm

This is an Asus 1440p 144hz IPS monitor with AMD's Freesync. While it looks great there's a huge caveat with this display:

The MG279Q has a limited FreeSync operational range between 35Hz and 90Hz, so if you set your refresh rate manually to anything above 90Hz it will disable FreeSync and you'll get a pop up message telling you so.

Asus tell us this capped upper limit of FreeSync was down to performance issues on a panel of this type, and so they took a decision to provide a lower bottom end limit and have 90Hz as the maximum.

Well that's rather awful sounding. I understand the perceived benefits of dynamic refresh rates are more noticeable in the 35-90hz range, but the idea that it will straight up disable the feature if you push over 90hz is pretty obnoxious. I play a few games that aren't graphically intensive and run at full 144fps without issue, and I also play very graphically intensive games which vary between a range of 45-70fps. It seems like a huge inconvenience to sell a 144hz display and then tell people they can't use dynamic refresh rates over 90hz.

I'm not going to just chalk this up to AMD using a worse standard (although I'm wondering if displayport 1.2 vs 1.3 has any affect on this) but it's still disappointing to see AMD's tech always trying to compete with Nvidia and falling flat. The only advantage of this display is it will be cheaper than a gsync display.

If Asus' gysnc variant of this monitor also has the 90hz limitation I'll be incredibly surprised.

Slightly off-topic but Newegg has listed this BenQ at $1000 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014487

BenQ XR3501
* 35" curved
* 144 Hz refresh rate
* 21:9 aspect ratio
* 2560X1080 (so the same pixel density as a 27", 16:9 aspect ratio, 1080p screen like I have now)
* AMVA panel

No strobe tech. No sync tech.

It looks pretty good and the response time is very reasonable for a display of that size. While I'd be more interested in the Gsync version of that display (which also comes with ULMB), I still think that's a really solid piece of hardware.

If someone wanted an ultra wide display for gaming this is a clear choice.

Sidenote: Having used my display for a while now, I will say that it's certainly nice to have the option of pushing 144hz when the game isn't demanding, but with gsync anything around 60 is very smooth and playable. I'm also glad to see display tech finally pushing boundaries again. The next few years should bring some nice advancements in monitor technology, hopefully we'll also see some price reductions in the future as well.

That 34" Acer as I mention matches everything I want except refresh rate. Still....my life seems to love using my computer (mostly because of the huge monitor), I need to look into buying another display and give her my old ones :P . I have ideas on how to setup my optimal room in the spare room but I haven't decided on best Monitor configuration yet (assuming this happens in the next 6 months or so).

Current setup is

Primary: Yamakasi 27" @ 110 Hz IPS

Secondary: Dell U2410 24" @ 60 Hz IPS

Plan One:

Primary: Acer Predator XR341CK (EVE + RTS + Movies)

Secondary: Yamakasi 27" @ 110 Hz IPS (FPS games like CS)

Wife: Dell U2410 24" @ 60 Hz IPS

Plan Two:

Primary: Acer XB270HU" @ 144 Hz IPS

Secondary: Dell U2410 24" @ 60 Hz IPS

Wife: Yamakasi 27" @ 110 Hz IPS

Options options....but we'll have to see. It might take so long that 144 Hz wide screens will be out by then :D

Yea it's .32mm pixel pitch vs .223mm pixel pitch in 1440p monitors at 34"

That's a pretty large increase. I've been spoiled with my 1440p setup(s) for a long time and I don't see myself going back anytime soon, regardless of the drawbacks.

FYI, I've heard that at that screen size and resolution, the pixels look mighty big.

Yea it's .32mm pixel pitch vs .223mm pixel pitch in 1440p monitors at 34"

That's a pretty large increase. I've been spoiled with my 1440p setup(s) for a long time and I don't see myself going back anytime soon, regardless of the drawbacks.

It's very close to the same as my current monitor (a 27", 16:9, 1080p) although a 34 would be a closer match.

Remember supposedly a new version of gsync will be launching soon. They're aiming to have a version which does not require a dedicated board in the display. This may also allow for higher throughput than their current limit. I would also imagine most of this will be tied to displayport 1.3

Depending on when I can afford it and when I absolutely need it, I think the Acer 34" G-Sync model meets pretty much all my criteria except for the 120-144 Hz. Since it meets every other criteria, and there are some serious technical limitations that may take 1-3+ years to resolve (IPS refresh rate, DisplayPort 1.3, new graphics card, new G-Sync), I think this is the exact combination thats going to be top for a while.

As soon as it reaches a more reasonable $600-800 for an Acer 34" X34 or equivalent is pretty much the perfect monitor. Except that it has a matte display and I want glossy damn it. I much prefer my glossy Yamakasi over my matte Dell U2410. I also prefer AMOLED over LCD so...give me my fake over saturated rich colors.

144 Hz? Gentlemen, we must go farther.

source - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-088-AS

Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27" G-Sync 165Hz IPS Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - Black/Red

Features:

- Worlds first 165Hz panel with NVIDIA G-SYNC Technology
- 27-Inch, 2560x1440 2K/WQHD resolution IPS panel with superb 1000:1 contrast ratio, 350cd/m of brightness
- Super-narrow bezel design for seamless multi-display setups
- Asus exclusive 5-way OSD navigation joystick, GamePlus and 60-120-165Hz Turbo hotkey for an in-game advantage
- Ergonomic design with full tilt, swivel, pivot and height adjustment. VESA mount compatible
- Features a signature and mysterious base pattern with the illuminated LED light-in-motion on the chassis for ROG brand synergy
- DisplayPort, HDMI and USB3.0 Hub

I'm glad to see we're pushing boundaries, but I feel like the returns start to drop off pretty steeply past 120hz let alone 144 or 165. It's great to see that there are some fantastic panels being made available. I just hope more games/engines support framerates beyond 60.

If someone just wants 144Hz and 1080p, that has already come way down in price and there are options available fairly cheaply (note the gsync in there under $400), so feel like the competition is going to have to shift in other directions to differentiate either in price, curved screens, sync tech, 1440p will probably become the new 1080p in short order, etc.