Sign in to follow this  
Jedi2155

Monitor Discussion

I feel like this does cheapen the g-sync brand label but is still overall a win for consumers; bringing features down from the premium tier down to more mainstream. I wonder if there are some manufacturers that are pissed about this but the writing was on the wall since it is a displayport standard.

On 1/7/2019 at 8:47 AM, Malaphax said:

I mentioned this to kuhla last night.  G-Sync now has 3 variants - here's a fancy graph:
gsync-ecosystem-jan-2019.png

image.pngimage.png

BenQ EX3501R

$740 - https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-EX3501R-Gaming-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B077P62F8X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539563665&sr=8-1&keywords=EX3501R

tft review - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_ex3501r.htm

• 35" size
  • 3440 x 1440 resolution
  • VA panel
  • 100 Hz refresh rate
  • Measured response rate actually good enough to keep up with refresh rate.
  • Freesync
  • Input lag is low.

Not bad at all for a VA. For strictly gaming, there are better options (same size, res) for less money (after discount). I wonder if it will get "g-sync compatible" rating.

So with the semi-recent update from Nvidia supporting Freesync I'm seeing several posts talking about recommendations to take advantage of that. 

LG 34GK950F - 34" 1440p, nano-IPS, 144hz native.  Tftcentral review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950f.htm

This has recently hit $800 twice in the last month and I suspect we'll see it hit that price with some regularity.  While tftcentral doesn't do major testing on the freesync compatibility, it doesn't appear to have any issues - especially after a recent firmware update.  Reddit threads seem very positive about this particular monitor and it seems like it's eclipsed the Alienware 34" display (AW3418DW) as the top recommendation.  

I'm curious if the new 38" 38GL950G will get a freesync version or if the new gsync 2 module will provide something other than HDR, because every single review I've read about HDR on PC is that it's a goddamn mess and not worth dealing with. 
I've seen a few reviews comparing freesync and gsync and the general consensus is that they're basically indistinguishable from one another - so I wonder how well these new gsync panels will sell if most of the discerning customers just switch to the freesync versions now that there's decent support for it. 

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/1/3/18166853/samsung-crg9-49-inch-gaming-qhd-monitor-resolution-ur59c-curved-4k-ces-2019
https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/31/18196452/dell-ultrasharp-u4919dw-49-inch-ultrawide-monitor-qhd
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/lg-announces-49-inch-ultrawide-monitor/

So I'm now considering the next gen of Ultra-ultra wide. The 1st attempt as CHG49 was basically a halved 4K TV (3840x1080). The next wave is basically dual 27" 1440Ps (5120x1440p). 

Basically 3 models coming in (LG, Dell, Samsung).

Currently running a 3 monitor setup (4K, 1440p UW, 1440P W) and this would replace the latter 2 and I'd just keep a single 4K as a dual monitor setup.

I also didn't know it but Samsung apparently includes a simple utility to make it easier to use as well:

Samsung 49-inch CHG90 easy setting

Its only claim to fame really is the high refresh rate, but I think the new ultra ultra-wides are still the next best thing.

"LG Unveils 27 and 37.5-Inch IPS Monitors with 1 ms Response Time"
article - https://www.anandtech.com/show/14544/lg-unveils-27-and-375inch-ips-monitors-with-1-ms-response-time

LG 38GL950G is new top tier? 

• 3840 × 1600 res <---------- so technically not 4k
  • IPS
  • 37.5" size
  • 1ms response time <-------- for an IPS that is a big deal if it is true
  • 144 or 175 Hz refresh rate
  • G-sync
  • curved

$$$$

article - https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/01/nvidia-g-sync-lg-oled/

Gaming on a massive OLED TV is an impressive experience, but it can be hampered by screen tearing or V-Sync input lag when playing PC games. To combat these issues, LG announced it would be supporting NVIDIA's G-Sync on its OLED TVs earlier this year, and now the release date has arrived.

Beginning this week, a firmware update will be pushed to LG OLEDs to allow G-Sync support. It'll be available on this year's E9 (65 and 55 inches), C9 (77, 65 and 55 inches) and B9 (65 and 55 inches) models. LG says the firmware will arrive in Northern America first before rolling out to Europe, Asia, Latin America, Africa and the Middle East by the end of the year.

Support for G-Sync should make games look smoother, with reduced response times for a more immersive playing experience. LG also promises the firmware will reduce flicker, tearing and stuttering when playing PC games.

To take advantage of the G-Sync feature, you'll need a PC with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX or GeForce GTX 16-Series graphics card. NVIDIA will be releasing a new GeForce Game Ready Driver to enable the connection of compatible LG TVs to PCs with the selected cards via HDMI. Bringing the two together should enable a refresh rate of 144Hz in 1080p and 120Hz at 1440p for a smooth and snappy gaming experience.

For those of us with LG OLEDs, we getting gsync via firmware update in the near future??...

Negative, they're only rolling it out to the current year models (2019) that's why is specifically says the E9, C9 and B9 models.  I suspect they'll carry it forward but I doubt they'll roll it out backwards to older models. 

Samsung's CRG9 monitor is down to $1050 on sale....

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49-crg9-dual-qhd-curved-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49rg90ssnxza/

If anyone wants to buy my old 34" Acer X34 100 Hz and 27" Yamakasa Catleap 2B, I'm willing to let it go for cheap.....

Can't justify buying a new display until I find home for my old displays.

On 6/13/2019 at 3:07 PM, kuhla said:

"LG Unveils 27 and 37.5-Inch IPS Monitors with 1 ms Response Time"
article - https://www.anandtech.com/show/14544/lg-unveils-27-and-375inch-ips-monitors-with-1-ms-response-time

LG 38GL950G is new top tier? 

• 3840 × 1600 res <---------- so technically not 4k
  • IPS
  • 37.5" size
  • 1ms response time <-------- for an IPS that is a big deal if it is true
  • 144 or 175 Hz refresh rate
  • G-sync
  • curved

$$$$

Linus did a review on this guy and compared to the previous King of the Crop The Asus ROG-Swift PG35VQ

For reference the LG you mentioned is:
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38GL950G-B-gaming-monitor
+HDR400
$1800

While the Asus which offers:
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/
35"
3440x1440 UW
HDR1000
G-Sync 
200 Hz
FALD
$2500 

HDR400 isn't really HDR.  It meats a bare minimum spec but it doesn't have the contrast ratio to actually handle the HDR correctly.  FALD has it's own problems still and HDR support on windows is mostly garbage.  I'd only worry about HDR on tv's at this point. 
The 1ms response time is a gimmick, Linus says so in his video, the real response time is still very good but the 1ms is just some wild marketing bullshit with crazy overshoot.   
Same thing with the 144hz/175hz where you start running into chroma subsampling constraints. 
Gsync vs Freesync has sort of blown up, but panels that meet the gsync standards tend to be higher end, and considering we're all on nvidia cards, it's a very nice perk to have available. 

Honestly the top end monitors like these have serious drawbacks, there are cheaper panels with very similar specs (https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950f.htm) plus the usual issues of games/media supporting ultrawide.  I'd still recommend someone strongly consider a standard 16:9 display with 144hz+ before making a leap into something like an ultrawide or any sort of top end monitor like the ones you linked. 

I have not had much issue with my ultra-wide that I couldn't work around and have been pretty happy with it over the past 3 years. I'd on the boat of highly recommending ultra wide if its affordable and now i'm about to jump into the Super Ultra-wide territory with my recent Samsung CRG9 order. Not sure why you wouldn't recommend an UW today.

My biggest concern is going with a VA panel due to the history of ghosting present in it. The average G2G time isn't terrible but the highest G2G is where I see real issue.

response_3.png

Ultrawide monitors recommendations would be based on use case.  I still think sticking with a 120/144hz 16:9 display is a better recommendation for most people. 
Gaming still supports the standard is still 16:9, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.  Some modern games still do not support ultrawide, the games that do have ultrawide support often have minor issues like all cutscenes/prerendered items being set to 16:9, or a lack of proper UI scaling options.  There's also limited DLSS support for ultrawide resolutions, although I would consider that a minor issue. 

Media is also hit or miss.  Properly encoded 21:9 video looks fantastic on an ultrawide.  Unfortunately I'd say 70% of the 21:9 content I've seen on youtube is encoded at 16:9 with baked in black bars, leading to sever letterboxing and a poor experience.  Netflix ultrawide content requires the use of their app or the edge browser. 

Productivity is going to depend heavily on the user themselves.  I would agree that having a larger screen space for video editing would be super useful, and some people might find the additional screen real estate more useful depending on how many additional windows or multitasking options they utilize - although windows own support for custom window sizes is currently garbage and third party applications are basically required. 

3 hours ago, Malaphax said:

Ultrawide monitors recommendations would be based on use case.  I still think sticking with a 120/144hz 16:9 display is a better recommendation for most people. 
Gaming still supports the standard is still 16:9, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.  Some modern games still do not support ultrawide, the games that do have ultrawide support often have minor issues like all cutscenes/prerendered items being set to 16:9, or a lack of proper UI scaling options.  There's also limited DLSS support for ultrawide resolutions, although I would consider that a minor issue. 

Media is also hit or miss.  Properly encoded 21:9 video looks fantastic on an ultrawide.  Unfortunately I'd say 70% of the 21:9 content I've seen on youtube is encoded at 16:9 with baked in black bars, leading to sever letterboxing and a poor experience.  Netflix ultrawide content requires the use of their app or the edge browser. 

To me, the question is, can it detract from the experience? From my use cases I haven't ever encountered a situation where it's arguable worse. I have my 34" UW next to a 27" QHD and vertical usable space is nearly the same (mm's difference). I've rarely encountered a UI issue I couldn't overcome but the added experience of ultra wide makes it far more enjoyable. I even play DOS box games without issue. The fact is many games have tried to have multi-monitor support well before ultrawide was around so there's quite a bit of usability even among older content.

Regarding blackbars in web video, I have an chrome extension that automatically allows me to zoom/stretch youtube videos when that does occur. I usually don't watch netflix on my PC but when I do I have a secondary 4K monitor for 16:9. I think the detraction isn't terrible, and I still think dual monitor can solve most solutions, but even in a single monitor enviorment I think the ultra-wide is just better still.

Not going to go into productivity aspects as that's extremely user dependent (many don't use their computers for productivity for example) but I love having a browser reference document next to my word or excel file. 

So i have $250 to pay towards office equipment and I really don't know what i should buy.  I'm considering the following items:

• New router (WIFi 6)
  • New wireless headset (i'm content with my wired soundblaster headset + desktop mic).
  • New keyboard but I'm happy with my G613. Was thinking about G915 but nah
  • New monitor

So I think getting a new monitor makes the most sense since I'm particularly concerned that I will lose access to my Yamakasi Catleap 2B which uses dual DVI and if I get a new GPU it basically becomes useless since DVI -> HDMI will result in only 1080p max resolution. Dual DVI's -> DP adapter cost at least $100 AFAIK and I'd also lose my high refresh rate so my thoughts is to sell and replace the display. Since I have 32/49 inch and still really like the 3 display setup. I really like having a 16:9 ratio display since when i'm sharing my screen for work the 4K display too high resolution for most people when doing video conferencing so I like to keep it at 1440P 27 which makes sense:

Currently considering the following displays 27" IPS displays:

LG Ultragear 27GL850-B (1 ms, 144 Hz, G-Sync, 350 cd/m) - $500 - LTT Review
Acer Nitro VX2 (1 ms, 144 Hz, 400 cd/m)  - $369
Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD (1ms, 144 Hz, 350 cd/m) - $300
Pixio PX7 Prime (4ms, 165 Hz, 400 cd/m) - $380-$400
Pixio P275h (4ms, 95 Hz, 350 cd/m) - $260

Pure Office Products:

Lenovo Q27q-10 (4ms, 75 Hz, 300 cd/m) - $220
Dell U2719DC (5ms, 60 Hz, 350 cd/m, USB-C+PD) - $435 - This one is REALLY tempting because of the USB-C connection could charge the work laptop simultaneously providing a USB hub as well.

8 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

So i have $250 to pay towards office equipment and I really don't know what i should buy.  I'm considering the following items:

So I think getting a new monitor makes the most sense since....

I agree that a monitor makes the most sense out of that list but I can think of a few other options as well like a new webcam, new chair or fixing any lighting issues you have when doing video calls.

Since this is going to be for work, if it were me......

• I think I would make an effort to stay as close to the given budget as possible so >$350 I would not even look at which would still mean $100 of my own money.
  • High refresh rate is always nice.
  • 1440p bare minimum makes sense 100%.
  • It is just office work so colors don't really matter? TN ok? Obviously IPS or VA is nicer.

I think that Lenovo you listed sounds pretty nice but the stand has no height adjustment. Spend the remaining money on a replacement stand?

EDIT: Of course there is always reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search/?q=title%3Amonitor&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&t=week

6 hours ago, kuhla said:

Since this is going to be for work, if it were me......

• I think I would make an effort to stay as close to the given budget as possible so >$350 I would not even look at which would still mean $100 of my own money.
  • High refresh rate is always nice.
  • 1440p bare minimum makes sense 100%.
  • It is just office work so colors don't really matter? TN ok? Obviously IPS or VA is nicer.

I think that Lenovo you listed sounds pretty nice but the stand has no height adjustment. Spend the remaining money on a replacement stand?

EDIT: Of course there is always reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search/?q=title%3Amonitor&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&t=week

I debated the concept of trying to stick as close to the budget as well but by doing that I'm losing out on an opportunity to play with new technology (high refresh rate) I wouldn't normally ever pay for myself (high refresh rate in particularly). While I see this primarily as a work device, since its going in my battle-station it might stay there a while. Also investing more in capabilities add significantly to the RESALE value down the road if I ever decide to get rid of it. Since the net cost increase is not significant.

• IPS is a requirement. I have 2 VA monitors already and the one I'm replacing is an IPS. I definitely see improve colors on the IPS compared to my VA displays and I still use it as my favorite display when i need high color rendition.
  • The 1440P @ 27" also aligns perfectly as an extension of my current 49" primarily display. Any change in size or resolution would no longer make it align.

The USB-C with 65w PD on the DELL is extremely tempting if not for the lack of high refresh rate. It would mean I would be able to save on buying a second power adapter or having to take it out of my bag regularly if I connected my laptop to the display. Presently though, I'm just using remote desktop on my 27" and its working okay. But ultimately from your recommendation I would say the following options still make

LG Ultragear 27GL850-B (1 ms, 144 Hz, G-Sync, 350 cd/m) - $500 for 850 or 83A $373 
Acer Nitro XV2 (1 ms, 144 Hz, 400 cd/m)  - $369
Dell U2719DC (5ms, 60 Hz, 350 cd/m, USB-C+PD) - $435 - This one is REALLY tempting because of the USB-C connection could charge the work laptop simultaneously providing a USB hub as well but really sucks that it lacks higher than 60 Hz.

Regarding the LG 850 vs 83A

That nano-coating may be important for some. A spec comparison shows that while they both support 10bit color, the 83A covers 99% of the sRGB spectrum vs the 850 covering 98% of DCI-P3, a larger color spectrum. The 83A does not advertise (firmware-backed?) HDR support while the 850 does. The 83A does not advertise "SuperResolution+" (an upscaling image processor) while the 850 does (if you're not watching upscaled content, probably just leave this off).

Removed the following options from consideration:
Pixio P275h (4ms, 95 Hz, 350 cd/m) - $260 (No height adjustment)
Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD (1ms, 144 Hz, 350 cd/m) - $300 - No Height Adjustment on stand (one thing I hate about my current Yamkasi)
Pixio PX7 Prime (4ms, 165 Hz, 400 cd/m) - $380-$400 - Too Pricey

I agree that a monitor makes the most sense out of that list but I can think of a few other options as well like a new webcam, new chair or fixing any lighting issues you have when doing video calls.

I debated these two but I already own a Logitech C920 HD camera from my LDR period with Rosefil in the Philippines. I also bought this Ikea Markus Chair back in 2015 and it has shown no sign of wearing out which is amazing IMO (my staples/costco chairs would normally wear out after 2 years). The only upgrade I'd consider is this newer JÄRVFJÄLLET design but again, its upgrade value smaller than my Yamakasi -> new 27". I have a 2nd Markus chair for my wife, and I don't really have another place to put my spare office chair negating that value.

On a side note looking into super resolution, this is a machine learning model based upscaling versus mathematical filters like bicubic. The difference can be startling

Is this something available on your LG TVs????