Tactically Inept

New Laptop

Jedi2155

Since I lost my backpack last week.....along with my laptop. I'm in the market for a new one sooner or later. Really thinking about the Yoga 2 as my new laptop of choice.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/yoga/yoga-2-pro/

So far my following criteria is as follows:

- Laptop required

- Tablet desired

- High resolution

My other choice was the Y510p

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/ with optional SLI capability.

and the Asus Zenbook but I haven't really researched too much....

Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum but still in very early stages of a laptop choice.

Since you have previously not prioritized portability I guess you can throw out any premium related to that.

What do you use your laptop for? If you say "everything", you know as well as I do, that isn't very helpful

The reason for the portability in this laptop is so I can use it like a tablet. I do a lot of skyping around the house, that I currently use my Note 2 for. This could replace my Note 2 use case and I can return to a smaller more normal size phone on my next upgrade.

My primary use cases for a laptop is doing school work/business work which involves lots of excel sheets (thus high resolution is a requirement in any laptop for me) and documents. Of course 3200x1800 in 13.3" is even beyond my capabilities for excel despite having worked with spreadsheets size 5 font in a 1280x800 12.1" laptop at 80% scale. I think this would be even beyond that.

Besides those two categories, I see the need for a laptop tremendously decreasing as I finish my masters hopefully by the end of the school year and it would thus be relegated for more entertainment purposes such as couch surfing whereupon a large laptop like my old 17" would never be used (I never use my laptop when I'm at home because its too much of a pain to take out). A tablet form factor laptop/ultrabook would find many more uses. I commonly use my Note II to watch instructional you tube videos which I could definitely use a bigger screen sometimes thus again this hybrid laptop/tablet could fill.

My gf had also been complaining a lot regarding the size of my laptop when I traveled with her, as it was so heavy it would suffocate her if she was using it lying down. She really wants me to get a smaller laptop in my next choice. As a result ~15" is my size limit, and ~6 lbs or less.

I've used plenty of thinkpads and ideapads to know that Lenovo can design a good pc. I trust a Lenovo over a Dell

Hybrid Tablet/Ultrabook (Yoga)

+ Resolution

+ Portability

+ Tablet capability

+ New use cases allows greater utilization factor and provides more "bang for buck"

- Small screen size

- No ethernet port (Would have to buy a USB 3.0 gigabit adapter for hotel network access)

- Performance

- Prohibitive cost (can buy almost buy an ultrabook and a tablet for the same price)

Price Range: $800-$1200

Hi-Perf. Laptop

+ High performance/fast speed

+ Gaming capability (limited use)

+ Screen size

+ Upgradability

- Weight

- Cost

- Lack of use at home

Price Range: $800-1200

Ultrabook

+ Portability

+ Lowest cost

- Smaller screen

- Limited use once I finish school. My old laptop was almost never used when I was not going to school.

Price Range: $400-800

I would not get a Mac mainly because of the cost and limited use cases. It would be more fun than actually useful and its far too expensive for a fun object.

• 1 month later...

richard the new thinkpad t540p display is a 2880 X 1620 ("3k") IPS display. i was looking at it and they removed the speakers on the sides and added a full keyboard with numpad (big+). also customizable with all the other standard laptop options. a model i specced out with the ips display, GT 730M, and a 3.6ghz i7 quad ran $1465 before tax. if you're still in market for "work" or "all arounder" laptop this would be my choice.

• 1 month later...

So since I'm in a bit of a money crunch scenario (too many future expenses), I decided to to take my brother's monstrously old laptop as my main replacement.

It's pretty beastly from the Fall of 2002 making this thing nearly 12 years old.

- 15" 1600x1200 (25 ms) IPS displa

- Pentium 4M - 2 GHz

- Mobility Radeon 9000 (DirectX 8.1b baby!)

- 768 MB of DDR (1x512, 1x256)

- IBM TravelStar 40 GB Drive

- 2x USB 1.1, and it has 802.11b WiFi (one of the first 802.11b chips).

Gotta do some upgrades....

• 4 weeks later...

So...Surface Pro replacing my awesome dell. This thing is pretty amazing....totally worth the cash. Although the Ivy Bridge CPU is really straining the battery. At one point it was 40% left and ~32 minutes remaining I think.

Also I have a Samsung PM830 mSATA SSD in there MZMPC128HBFU. Benches pretty good. Instead of swapping the SSD I'm just going to buy a 64 GB microSD and use that as my media storage.