Tactically Inept

[Netflix] House of Cards

kuhla

Netflix show so I couldn't put TV in the category....

Good show. A little simple and heavy handed at times which sometimes bugs me but I liked more than I disliked so I would recommend it. Straight drama. No spoiler, first episode should make this clear, but the whole pure-power-couple is kinda sexy. There is some 4th wall stuff too which is kind of cool.

They stagger their releases across multiple months so there is always something new.

You can see that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix

Notice when they really started in 2013 they managed to keep several months of new content staggered. That was their first real foray into producing their own content.

Also keep in mind, with a subscription fee that small, some people will often make very limited use of netflix for certain periods of time. I have personally had months of almost no use, and also had months where I watched something nearly every day.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Took my time with it but finished season 2 over the weekend. It's starting to get a bit more chaotic, pieces flying loose compared to the more finely tuned season 1 but still very good show. Looks like 10 more months to see what happens next.... feels like GoT ....

• 11 months later...

I remember watching the first episode of House of Cards season 1 almost by accident (a little over a year ago now). I didn't know anything about the show up to that point. But I think I ended up watching all of season 1 non-stop. Season 2 was amazing as well. I watched season 3 in two days last weekend.

House of Cards and Dexter are my two favorite shows and may be the only two shows of which I have actually seen every episode. I guess I am intrigued by sociopaths?

I guess I am intrigued by sociopaths?

This thought has crossed my mind too but I think the answer is simple: sociopaths, the ones in entertainment, are usually very complicated which allows for a large story to be built around them. You get to see the conflict of "good" and "bad" play out in just one individual. Makes a better story. Lots of opportunities for conflict and drama.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

So I'm 1/2 way into season 6 and it's just feels like it's getting a little crazy but then I have to step back and think that with a show that leans so heavily on taking queues from the current political scene that maybe this is just art imitating life. You have gender politics warfare, "tea party" style factions, individuals ranting on and on about deregulation, russian troll factories, people being assassinated, "analytics" companies abusing social media, etc. So far I think I would say I'm a little more engaged this season compared to last season.

Finished season 6.

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler

I have no idea what they were going for in the end. I'm not even sure if that is considered open ended or not. Setting up a season 7? But the show is over. It was also getting weird when they had a few choice opportunities to have Frank's voice cut in like a knife but then avoided it abruptly. I don't got it. Disappointing I guess especially after I started getting into it about half way through.

• 1 month later...

1d2zug9o4w721.png

I never got around to posting about the ending but short spoiler free version is that as much as I admire Robin Wright she couldn't carry the entire series.  It felt rushed and unstructured, I understand they specifically went out of their way to avoid even having voiceover from Spacey but that also felt incredibly forced, especially since it's not like Netflix removed the first 6 seasons he produced.  Honestly, I think a better choice would have been to let the series end "unfinished" with season 5.