Sign in to follow this  
Malaphax

Titanfall 1 and 2

I didn't want to be on board the hype train, especially since I considered the launch of bf4 to be pretty terrible (although it's fine now). But goddamn this game is fun. I mean you can have matches where you only kill 6 people, but you slaughter another 38 AI and it just feels fantastic. It feels hectic and chaotic without you having to ruin an entire enemy team's day. The gameplay modes are pretty basic, either Hardpoint (Conquest), Atrition(TDM) or Last Titan Standing. The last titan standing is similar to CS where you play out a series of rounds with only 1 life, but you spawn in a titan at the start. I consider this mode to be the most underwhelming because it detracts from the overall speed. Attrition on the other hand is wonderful, it's seriously bringing back memories of original modern warfare with the fast tight gameplay, running around spraying bullets and throwing grenades all over the place.

The controls are pretty decent, but the wall running can occasionally get wonky, especially when trying to wall run and then jump into a window. The mantling is pretty decent, it hasn't caused me to get stuck and the animation is pretty quick. You actually move faster when wall running, which makes it that much more satisfying when you're doing some parkour nonsense and then you take out a few enemies.

I'll see about streaming and uploading some clips from the game, if you guys get into the beta let me know.

hmm soo i get a to play a few full rounds.

my first impression is that this shit feels like call of booty.

then i was like ok. lets play with the titan. hmmmm ok little bit interesting.

it doesnt grab me and i prob get it aniway. im not sure if i like the 6v6 + bots thing.

They sent me a second code today before I could contact their tech support with a PC code. Downloading now.

Anyone want an XBONE code? If not I'll give it away online.

You could check, it's source based so the graphical requirements aren't astronomical (at least to my knowledge). I want to see about getting a few of us into a lobby and see how the teamwork feels.

apparently cod is not fast enough and respawn wanted faster gameplay LOL

while im gettin old and my reaction time is slower.

oh well there is new babies every year

apparently cod is not fast enough and respawn wanted faster gameplay LOL

while im gettin old and my reaction time is slower.

oh well there is new babies every year

thats why i switched to turn based games. can't react fast enough to play dems shooters anymore.

No, you're just out of practice. I think we're still pretty good regardless [reaction times]. Its just you haven't done it for too long.

Here's a link to a bunch of datamined information that came out of the beta. Some highlights include:

Level cap appears to be 50, with 10 levels of prestige available.

15 maps (they have pictures for some of them).

At least 5 gameplay modes.

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=769961

Sidenote: I'm still not sure how I want to handle this game. I really enjoyed playing it during beta, and part of me wants to buy it, even at full price. The other part of me, wants to wait and see how smooth the launch is, and possibly wait a month and see if any coupons/discounts come out for it.

Very well put together gameplay/commentary. I would like to emulate some aspects of his videos and some of his transitions between clips. Also the balance of information and humor is pretty solid.

Yea mostly fast fades, I've been pretty lax with properly handling transitions in my videos. I've either had a fade to black with some text for the guild wars 2 videos, or recently tried some screen dissolve fades for the strike vector one. I might look into trying to add commentary on a video in the future, and I'm always looking to improve the graphical fidelity of my videos.

I might look into what you mentioned previously regarding upscaling to 4k and then letting youtube scale it back down to 1080p. I also will look into CBR vs VBR 2 pass at various bitrates, the short titanfall video I posted, I actually tweaked the bitrate rather seriously. I believe the bitrate on my longer titanfall video was only 8mb/s, in the future I might decide to push the bitrate higher in the hopes that youtube manages to give me more graphical fidelity.

So I played a bit yesterday. The hectic pace is wonderful, I'm always surprised at how few people I actually kill in a round. The maps have ranged in size from small to pretty damn huge. The additional pilot and titan weapons feel pretty cool as well. The zip lines are incredibly fast and seem to carry momentum when you jump off of them, adding one more movement option for traversing maps.

I'm going to look into playing the "multiplayer campaigns" because they unlock customization on the stryder and ogre titans. The stryder is immensely fun, especially when you get the dash core online and you start mashing your spacebar furiously. I've always liked the concept of light/fast mechs but this is the first time I'm finding myself actually using them the majority of the time.

I'll see about running shadowplay and capturing some new footage to upload.

Some notes, last night there were some issue logging into the server to play, this was a pretty universal issue for about 1-2 hours last night. We'll see if this continues to happen at prime time during the evenings or if Microsoft steps it up and brings up more azure servers.

I've also noticed that I need to really spam burn cards each round. I've found myself sitting on a nearly full deck, even after discarding the ones I don't want. My new goal is to use one at the initial spawn, and the other cards when I can.

Considering I spent a full hour just trying to join a match, I'm still feeling a little burned by that. I hope that isn't the same tonight.

I don't understand how people are still complaining about the smart pistol. Enemy pilots with even a little skill will wreck you (provided they are not also using the smart pistol).

I don't think I have ever used a burn card. I really should.

I actually need to turn down graphical settings a little bit (AA) because there are a few maps with specific spots which are actually kind of intensive.

I saw someone making a bunch of analogies of mechanics/strategy in this game in comparison to MOBAs. I kind of see where he was coming from.

I really should try shadowplay someday.

I'm assuming we're looking at the equivalent of an MMO launch. MIcrosoft is struggling with a huge influx of people in numbers beyond what the beta was, and they're going to go into crisis management and bring up more servers. I know their Azure system is supposed to scale dynamically, but Titanfall probably is pushing their limits.

I saw some people complaining about the smart pistol as well. Personally I used it a bit, it's great for farming minions, but unless you have the amped version or the upgraded targeting it's pretty crap against people. It loses close range to shotguns/smgs and loses long range to carbines/rifles. It does very well as a stealth sort of weapon, because if you manage to sneak up on people and get a lock there is no counterplay, but the same could be said of other weapons as well.

Start using them, there's no reason not to, you earn them constantly.

I'm personally running it maxed out everything and wasn't noticing any slowdowns, but considering how hectic some of the gameplay was I might not have noticed small dips in performance. I'll see how much of a performance hit shadowplay causes.

The comparisons to mobas are certainly warranted. In attrition, you can win by just farming minions effectively, in other game modes I'm not so sure. I consider them a resource that helps you get your titan faster, but not much else. They're just points piñatas.

You really should try shadowplay.

I don't have many criticisms for this game, I like it quite a bit, but one thing that is starting to stick out to me more and more is team balance. There really needs to be an auto-team balance. I can understand not wanting to break up parties of friends but something has to be done. I don't mind losing but I don't like being in a game where my team gets demolished (like CTF score of 1-to-6 or hard point 300-to-90) round after round because the other team has 4-5 people in a party.

Along the same lines, some of the CTF maps need tweaking on flag placement. One side will have a pretty open flag while the other will be tucked far inside a building. By the time there is the half-way-switch-sides, one side will often be far ahead in flag captures and require only 1-2 more to win (provided the team are evenly matched).