Sign in to follow this  
Malaphax

Titanfall 1 and 2

source - http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/07/titanfall-2-single-player-plans/

Respawn hasn't said much about its Titanfall sequel beyond plans for multi-platform support, but some details are starting to trickle out... and they'll be good news for fans of the robot-slash-infantry shooter. In a chat with Forbes, head writer Jesse Stern notes that Titanfall 2 will have a real, honest-to-goodness single-player campaign when it arrives either late this year or early next. That's not completely shocking given that the team didn't have the resources to flesh out its solo game the first time around. Still, it's reassuring if you were frustrated by the original's barely-there offline experience, which really just amounted to AI matches with a sliver of story in between.

Even though we did not play it for long, I do consider it one of the better games that came out recently so I look forward to the sequel.

I still don't entirely understand why companies feel to the need to focus resources on a single player campaign. I've heard the single player campaign can often cost nearly 3/4ths of an FPS game's budget, and I just don't understand why that would be a substantial driver of game sales.

I'm looking forward to Titanfall 2 because the first one was fun, I think if it had a better server setup and more people playing I would have stuck with it. I also think that Respawn is going to clean up many of the issues with Titanfall in the sequel, they've already said they'll no longer release DLC map packs for purchase because it segments the community too much. I expect we'll see more pilot and titan customization, which might be cool. I'm just excited to get another really fast paced multiplayer game sometime this year.

Bad news about the "tech test" it's limited to console only. They reneged on the PC version because "we didn't want people datamining it and we haven't optimized it yet"

Most of the subreddit is somewhat understandably pissed. I'm sincerely hoping there's a beta or trial before this thing launches and it better come to PC.

I'm still slightly worried about some of the feedback I saw regarding the "technical test."

It sounded like they may not even do an open beta for the game like they did with titanfall 1. If I can't try this one before I buy I will wait to make my purchase. I have concerns regarding the map design (less wall running focused so far) as well as the general pace of the game. Titanfall 1 is bonkers fast and really fun to play and if they can recapture that feeling I'll most likely end up buying it, but since they're heavily tweaking the time to kill (it's dramatically lower) and swapping out some of the map/game modes to cater more towards the CoD crowd I'm concerned it may end up being just a cod game with mechs.

Here's the german youtube video for the Legion titan class. They mentioned that there's two modes for the minigun - long range and close range, I don't know how that works or what that entails it sounds weird. The ultimate ability is Soldier 76's Tactical Visor titan core is an auto-lock on for ability. It looks like the titans are going to follow the "press Q to kill shit" mentality which is fine by me. The previous titan cores were lackluster.

So there was a Titanfall 2 pre-release event and a number of people are now dumping videos to youtube. Here's a reddit thread with a large number of the videos out today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/58o14c/collection_of_newly_released_multiplayer_content/

I strongly suggest looking through frothy omen's videos because he's a very good titanfall player and really shows how the game is meant to be played with crazy speed and tons of wall running. He's also relatively unbiased calling certain kits and loadouts strong or weak as he sees them.

The game looks pretty damn solid at this point and I'll be buying it.

Bought it. GMG has 18% off right now. That being said I think this has the possibility of fizzling out fast. This won't have nearly the longevity or popularity of overwatch.

Some updates.

GMG was taking way too long to email out keys (people were already playing) so I cancelled my order and grabbed it from cdkeys.com, which annoys me because cdkeys looks pretty shady.

I also played through (and beat) the campaign last night. It's short but fun, I used it as a sort of warm up. It helped me get acquainted with the controls and remember how I'm supposed to wall run and play like a complete psycho. I recommend playing through it on Hard difficulty, because it didn't seem like that much of a challenge.

Some of the maps in the single player are super impressive, I sincerely hope they adapt some new multiplayer maps from the campaign because they're just that good. I recommend playing through the campaign purely for some of the interesting maps and mechanics that they throw at you, because the storyline is mediocre and the voice acting is mostly phoned in.

I'm going to start the grind this evening and a bit this weekend, I expect to get completely demolished by people for the first few hours until I remember how to play and unlock most of the guns/equipment.

finished single player and yeah its worth playing just for some interesting level design. and the fact that its source engine i think its prob one of the best ive seen.

jumped to mp and get rekt

Blisk is the best announcer/faction because of stuff like "I lost count.." when you just wrecked the enemy team. That's the message I got last night when we were playing.

Scanned over some stats. Not too many surprises.

source - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nxDADMLQfHCO6Z-hO0Dv5FJ1HSv7JsPEdcfQpoELRkg

• CAR smg just seems at least a slightly improved R-201 rifle in every way except for "very far" distance damage. Considering that they are only small improvements, unless there is some other compelling reason, I'm not entirely sure why I would use a CAR instead of the R-201 right now and take advantage of some of that long range damage and drop off.

• Hemlok on paper is very good but you will have to get comfortable with the burst fire.

• Devotion LMG seems OK at best and the other LMGs just look bad.

• Longbow DMR is hitscan while the Kraber and Double Take are projectile. Seems like that would make it possibly the best sniper.

• Charge rifle seems pretty much the best AT weapon without much debate.

• Flatline rifle is very similar to the Alternator smg in almost all stats.

• G2A5 semi-auto rifle seems like it might be OK, it's high damage, but with the semi-auto only firing, low rate of fire and low magazine capacity it seems like it would have a hard time making up the difference.
  • Quick math I think the R-97 has a pretty quick TTK but you better land most of those shots (per shot damage is low) and do it close to them (damage drops off hard and fast over range).

From my personal experience using mostly SMGs, Shotguns and the occasional rifle I would break it down like this:

Alternator - Very fast ttk, low magazine size and quick reload make it great for close range, but don't bother even trying to engage at longer ranges. Stick with stim and close the distance on people.

Volt - Best all round SMG, does good damage has a large magazine and handles well at longer ranges, only downside is tracer rounds. This has been my go to weapon.

EVA8 - Standard shotgun, get up in their face and watch them die, has surprising range (almost medium range) it's map situational but good. Take the fast reload perk.

Mastiff - Weird laser shotgun, it has better range than the EVA8 but it's spread is completely flat. I'm not a huge fan but it has less damage dropoff than the EVA8.

Devotion - The only LMG worth using. Once it spools up to max speed I think it has the lowest TTK in the game (barring 1 shot snipers). You can hip fire it reasonably well. I've been pairing it with phase shift to help cover the slow reloads and general weirdness.

Tried the Hemlock and G2A5 for a while and couldn't really make much of them. I think I might go back and play around with the R201C just to get some unlocks on it. The flatline on paper looks decent until you realize the spread/recoil is entirely horizontal making it a close range weapon at best, but realistically too unpredictable to use properly.

The grenadier weapons are strange. The cold war is super awkward because of the wind up time it has, but you can pretty easily 1shot pilots and clear whole groups of npcs. I have a loadout with the softball, but I haven't had a chance to really use it, it's very map situational.

The archer rocket on paper does a ton of damage, but I've seen several of my rockets hit terrain that Titans duck behind. The MGL is good but it's very short range, and the reload time makes you a sitting duck. Charge Rifle is by far the best/easiest to use especially with the charge hack.

Smart pistol is super fun, but I've actually noticed it's more effective to fire mid-lock with it. Example: on pilots it takes 3 locks to kill, but you can fire after 2 and then follow up after 1. If they're shooting back, I've found it's better to hit pilots twice, rather than try and wait for the full 3-lock. I don't recall this being very effective in titanfall 1.

The dice roll boost is random every time you receive a boost, you can get 2 or 3 totally different boosts in a single map, I might stick on this for a while just because it's spices things up.

Gotta go fast:

https://giant.gfycat.com/QualifiedBountifulBeetle.webm