Tactically Inept

gfycat auto-embeds

kuhla

If you use http://gfycat.com , that now auto-embeds. All you need is this:

The forum will do the rest.

Doing a little testing with different widths right now but it is here to stay.

EDIT: Current limitation is this, if it is 16:9 aspect ratio then any size is ok. It will resize itself to 800x450. If the image is bigger than 450 in height but not 16:9 ratio then some cropping will occur. That's all I can do for now and I'm not feeling terribly inclined to spend a lot of time and effort on this.

I was getting multiple crashes on chrome as well. The short answer we have is that firefox seems to load all of this fine with no issues. Chrome will load it pretty well but occassionally crash a tab/window.

What browser are you on and which version? Also does the latest page of "Official Post Anything" crash for you as well? There is only 1 gfycat embed on that page and it is not using kuhla's automatic iframe code.

Two of the images on this page are resizing, and one of them is cropped. I have no idea if that might affect how certain browsers handle the page.

kuhla has done all of the work on this so far, and while it's not perfect it's pretty decent. There may be changes that involve some additional code that handles automatic scaling of iframes but that would be later when kuhla or I have time to test it. kuhla has also mentioned that he would prefer not to troubleshoot specific browser issues, but if this is causing enough of a problem we can temporarily remove it and default back to gfycats own iframe embed code.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Auto-embeds for gfycat temporarily removed until more testing can be done to determine what exactly is going on with that. I want to believe this is a Chrome only problem but I don't have any evidence at the moment. Also since this hasn't been used much, I don't feel bad about delaying it but it would be nice it working in the not distant future.