Tactically Inept

Plex

Malaphax

Recently Kuhla and I started using a media application called Plex. The basic idea behind it is, you can setup a media server, and then connect to that server to stream content like video or music. The streaming can be handled on a local network or over the internet.

I've been rather impressed by the program, it's not perfect but it suits my needs rather well. I have a pc hooked up to the tv in my living room, with Plex I can stream content from my personal pc to the media center pc/tv. I can also stream to clients over the internet, I've done this rather successfully with Kuhla.

The program is pretty decent, it organizes files fairly well, and does a nice job grabbing metadata to provide the appropriate movie or tv series icons. However it's not perfect, content like anime it tends to struggle with. I don't necessarily hold that against the program because anime often has very specific content (OVAs are not popular in the rest of the world) and sometimes it requires more specific organization of the files to properly recognize them.

The only downside is that the mobile apps cost money, and some of the features like synch are behind a subscription paywall. Overall I've been rather happy with it nonetheless. I might even be willing to drop the money for the mobile app at some point.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm debating setting up either a NAS or trying to reconvert some spare parts I have into a permanent plex media server.

Ideally I want a backup of all my media/PC and then also host a plex server to allow my parents to browse that media even when my computer is off.

I've briefly looked at some of the "recommended" NAS enclosures plex has partnered with.

Those devices support 1080p and multiple streams, so the only functionality I might be missing out on would be torrenting directly from the NAS, although I see a post regarding installing the transmission client on it, so maybe not even that.

Sidenote: I'm actually unsure of plex's ability to handle x265 content, and while most of my content is still x264 I'm curious about that as well.

I do have a media center pc that was an old desktop of mine with a new case in my living room currently, my parents never really used it and I realistically need to toss it. My chromecast has completely replaced it. I suppose I could throw together a custom built NAS box or a lower powered windows pc acting as a networked drive, but I'm not sure if that would be a better option considering what my needs are.

Recommendations for a more reliable backup and plex solution?