Jedi2155

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not that I'm implying you need my approval but good lookin list

Actually, I need your approval. I have difficult making decisions without other peoples approvals. Thanks.

Final cost breakdown to come later because I"m doing some massive discounts.

*edit*

Screenshot of spreadsheet

Current Breakdown.JPG

Still waiting on MicroCenter to get the Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 7 back in stock....$420 Combo with 4790K.

Newegg had the 4790K with a Gigabyte Gaming 5 board for $400 earlier this week but I decided against due to the following differences (Gaming 7 Improvements are below):

+Debug LED

+Voltage Monitor Pads

+Dual BIOS Switch

+Clear CMOS Switches

+Power On/Off Switches

+Gold Plated Video Connectors

+ 8x SATA vs. 6x SATA

+ More FAN Connectors

+ OC-PEG

*EDIT*

MICROCENTER BACK IN STOCK WOOT ORDERED

Wholly crap Antec 1250 for only $40.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031501&sku=88289&vpn=KUHLER+H20+1250&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1009

I was afraid of that happening but it happened anyways (due to my limited time frame for the build I didn't have time to wait it out for deals). Overpaid of my liquid cooler ($100 for H105). At least the fit and finish is better...although its not $60/better.

After thinking it through more, and seeing a sale on the Corsair H110, I'm regretting my Corsair H105 purchase. Rereading the AnandTech article malaphax posted (I read it/skimmed it maybe 3-4x before), I realized the H110 is significantly superior and all my cases would have no problems supporting it. At time I ordered the H105, the H110 was $130 and the H105 was $100. Now they are both $100.

H105

+ H105 CPU block is more nicely redesigned.
+ Comes with more powerful nicer looking 120mm fans

+ Newer Model (April 2014)

- Louder (41 to 50 dBA)

- Thicker increasing flow resistance (for weak pump)

- Lower performance compared to H110

Corsair H110

+ Better cooling performance (2-4C depending on load). The best according the Anandtech article.

+ Quiet (37-42 dBA)

- Simple/ugly 140mm fans

In retrospect, I think I should've stayed with the stock Intel cooler until I had time to design and build a proper custom water cooling loop. I haven't even received the H105 yet....hah...

+Debug LED

This alone is worth the $20. It has the potential to save so much time....

Wholly crap Antec 1250 for only $40.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031501&sku=88289&vpn=KUHLER+H20+1250&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1009

I was afraid of that happening but it happened anyways (due to my limited time frame for the build I didn't have time to wait it out for deals). Overpaid of my liquid cooler ($100 for H105). At least the fit and finish is better...although its not $60/better.

That Antec looks all kinda gimmicky. Two pumps? The fans are pumps? I don't even.....

That Antec looks all kinda gimmicky. Two pumps? The fans are pumps? I don't even.....

Its discounted to $40 for a reason....from a regular price of $119.99....

I've ordered everything except for an SSD....debating buying the Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB @ Amazon for $260 (or price match at Frys/another store). Any suggestions?

Option 1: Buy Samsung now, and deal with everything later

Option 2: Keep my Crucial C300, and tell my PC buyer to buy my 1 TB WD Black for $50 (I amselling my 256 GB C300 for $80)

Option 3: Wait for a 850 Evo / SATAe drive and/or a better sale on the Samsung 840 Evo (seen them as low as $220).

One advantage the H105 (and any 120 or 240 rad) has is that it uses a more industry standard size. 140mm fans are certainly nice, but you there are countless numbers of 120mm's out there. You could look into higher hydrostatic pressure or higher cfm or low noise. Personally if you're just going to stick with the stock fans, the H110 is probably a bit better because the slower speed and slightly quieter running, but if you wanted to go and pick your own fans (like some nice gentle typhoons) you could probably get the 105 as quiet or quieter than the 110. The extra cooling is negligible between the two coolers.

Its kind of true that between all the high end coolers the differences are negligible to unnoteworthy, I just kept looking at those charts and kept seeing ZOMG 2C difference (7-15%) and thought damn should've gotten the H110!! The interesting thing is that the H105 with a 38mm radiator performs worse than the H100i with a 27mm radiator in some scenarios. I'd attribute this to the poor pump performance.

Flowrate of the stock pump is only 0.11 GPM / 6.6 GPH

Here's an example of a small pump from Swiftech (4.75 GPM / 285 GPH)

I knew these pumps were bad....I just had no idea how bad until now....

One advantage the H105 (and any 120 or 240 rad) has is that it uses a more industry standard size. 140mm fans are certainly nice, but you there are countless numbers of 120mm's out there. You could look into higher hydrostatic pressure or higher cfm or low noise. Personally if you're just going to stick with the stock fans, the H110 is probably a bit better because the slower speed and slightly quieter running, but if you wanted to go and pick your own fans (like some nice gentle typhoons) you could probably get the 105 as quiet or quieter than the 110. The extra cooling is negligible between the two coolers.

There is no rule that says you can't use 120mm fans on a 140mm rads so if you got the room and it doesn't hurt in some other way (like a lower quality OEM for the pump) then no reason to ever go for the smaller rad.

Its kind of true that between all the high end coolers the differences are negligible to unnoteworthy, I just kept looking at those charts and kept seeing ZOMG 2C difference (7-15%) and thought damn should've gotten the H110!! The interesting thing is that the H105 with a 38mm radiator performs worse than the H100i with a 27mm radiator in some scenarios. I'd attribute this to the poor pump performance.

lowrate of the stock pump is only 0.11 GPM / 6.6 GPH

Here's an example of a small pump from Swiftech (4.75 GPM / 285 GPH)

I knew these pumps were bad....I just had no idea how bad until now....

I think bad is the wrong word. All the AIOs that I have seen disseccted have had blocks with super high restriction. Their whole design is not just about pure GPM. Take a look at Martin's Liquid Lab review of the H100i: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/03/13/corsair-hydro-series-h100i-aio-cpu-cooler/ By contrast, I've seen a lot of DIY water cooling setups that were about low restriction and high GPM but those loops often were multi-block (GPU, CPU maybe VRMs too).

Thank you for that article. It was exactly the type of detail and determinations I was looking for during my research. I had an opinion that the people who designed this must have optimized it but I wasn't seen how they were doing it until now. It makes me much more comfortable with the current designs.

I'm still really interested on how the H105 is better/worse than the H100 since they used a new pump block compared to the older H100's. Anandtech's review is good but there are some points recently that makes me think "huh" (especially the RAM timings review). Regardless the performance should be good enough and its $100 for the kit vs. $300+ & time sink for a custom loop.

Thank you for that article. It was exactly the type of detail and determinations I was looking for .....

Offtopic: Martin's Liquid Lab has some of my favorite reviews of all time. He is still active on xtremesystems forums. The methodology, the comprehensiveness, etc. but unfortunately it's just one guy and his own little personal interests so it moves very slowly.

Thank you for that article. It was exactly the type of detail and determinations I was looking for .....

Offtopic: Martin's Liquid Lab has some of my favorite reviews of all time. He is still active on xtremesystems forums. The methodology, the comprehensiveness, etc. but unfortunately it's just one guy and his own little personal interests so it moves very slowly.

I've seen his site a few times from previous links you've provided but yes, I recall he was extremely detailed and comprehensive on his testing.

SSD ideas still...500 GB for $260 or 250 Gb for $120.....the benefit of the 500 is that it won't become obsolete as quickly which makes a huge difference in the resale market / lifetime department. But it costs more..

I was about to buy the 500 GB 840 Evo but then it really doesn't feel good to buy a 1 year old piece of technology for $260+tax when they've dropped as low as $220 in the past.

The 250 GB version is only $120 at Newegg right now (versus $260 for the 500 GB)

Then I saw this review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8066/crucial-mx100-256gb-512gb-review/9

Only $212 or less...for the MX100....

*edit*

Nevermind for the MX100. I actually was surprised at AnandTech's review showing the strength of the MX100. My personal experience with Crucial's C300 shows its firmware/controller to be rather lackluster (while good for the time I purchased it) compared to a SandForce or my roommates 840 Evo 250 GB.

Real world user data shows the 840 Evo blowing the MX100 out of the water.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/10775/Crucial-CT512MX100SSD1

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Samsung-840-Evo-250GB/Rating/1594#Benchmarks

http://ssdboss.com/ssds/Samsung-840-EVO-vs-Crucial-MX100

fuggit.

250 GB Evo is only $120 right now. When a better SSD comes out, I'll get a bigger one (this can be a OS drive/sister's drive). Price difference in the future will offset the cost of a 2nd SSD.

I really wanted to buy the 500 GB, but I feel its kind of a waste right now with all the upcoming technology changes. I could easily relegate the 250 GB 840 Evo to a OS/Application Drive, while a future faster/larger SSD as a games drive. I looked at my current SSD usage, and realized 80 GB of the 190 GB currently used was for BF3/BF4 alone. Removing BF3 and replacing that with Titanfall would put it back in the same ratio. I think 40 GB is used for System Restore + other random windows crap.

As I mentioned earlier, a 250 GB 840 Evo wouldn't be a bad OS drive because the Evo can already max out the 6 Gbps SATA interface and it has a great 4K random read/write ability. The MX100 pales in comparison. The main reason I would want faster sequential read in a new drive is for game loading (50 GB of uncompressed audio Titanfall!), while the Windows 7/8 OS already loads really quickly at 7-8 seconds on current SSDs. It won't help much with a faster SSD. If I can remove games from the equation, I'll only be using ~ 40-80 GB of space on an SSD.

ORDERED 250GB EVO

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i switch the fan few days ago. still run hot.

went to frys got h75

runs good @ 4.5 ~ 55 C on load

conclusion i think the water pump is dead because when i touch the radiator it wasn't even hot. and only one of the hose is hot. the other one going into the cpu is cool.

i think they have 5 years warranty want to see if they can send me a new one. thx gaiz

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...