Tactically Inept

TWC

T1no

• 1 year later...

So Time Warner is upping their prices for 2016. One part of that price hike is a bump in the cost of modem rental. This served as a reminder that I am still renting a modem from them and that I shouldn't be.

At the time they rolled out their maxx upgrade the only modems that handled more than 4 bonded channels weren't readily available, so I just stuck with their rental. Now I have some options.

Option 1: Motorola Surfboard 6183

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6183-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00MA5U1FW/

This modem has support for 16x4 channels which should allow me to grab my current speeds of 200/20. It's not stupidly expensive and I would have it "payed off" in roughly 10 months.

Option 2: Motorola Surfboard 6190

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6190-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B016PE1X5K/

This modem offers support for 32x8 channels which should absolutely cover any channels available in my area and certainly get me my full 200/20 connection. It's also probably the upper limit of channels available before something like DOCSIS 3.1 releases, which I expect won't be for a several years. It's an additional $50 and would take closer to 1.25 years to pay off but it shouldn't ever need replacing if for some reason I wanted to upgrade to a new plan or if another infrastructure upgrade happens in my area (almost zero chance).

I haven't actively looked to see how many channels are even available in my area, let alone the exact specs on my current modem, but I believe it's 16x4 and I haven't ever had issues reaching my 200/20 speeds.

Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations?

I would also lean towards the 6183 in your situation. By the time you "need" to upgrade, maybe because of DOCSIS 3.1, because you somehow have outgrown your bandwidth needs constant usage, they will probably be new models available to support the new standard. No point in spending any extra now imho.

In general, I always try to get the latest tech model if you're buying a device that is going to last aw long time i.e. modems. But I can say that the 16 channels in the 6183 is plenty, but there may always be additional benefits from a 32 channel setup. There were certainly unexpected benefits from using the 8 to 16 channel (more peak burst speeds). That being said I don't know how long TWC is going to take to make it compatible.

I got the arris 6183. Try and find out from people in your area if TWC will utilize the extra channels in the 6190. If you think the extra $50 is worth the futureproofing (I think it is) then go for the 6190.

If you don't think you'll get a proper roi or want to save some money, then the 6183 will still definitely be 99% of the 6190 for your uses.

There will (eventually) be benefits but whether those benefits are worth an extra $50 is up to you.

I don't know what is involved in utilizing more channels on a cable line, but I suspect the technology used in Fullerton will at least be on part with Diamond Bar as we've had DOCSIS 3.0 for much longer than that. I do not suspect that TWC would use downgraded technology when providing updates to an entire service area though as it would not make sense from a business perspective. Majority of costs involved usually is in labor rather than hardware.

I have 16 channel support in my neighborhood. To even be offered 200 mbps service, TWC requires a 16 channel modem to ensure they can load balance the adjacent channels. If you recall the old saying though, cable technology is a shared bus topology meaning you're all on the same MOCA network so you're sharing all those channels with your neighbors. Having more channel capability means you're able to utilize partly loaded channels versus not having access to a channel at all.

• 3 months later...

source - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-timewarnercable-m-a-charter-communi-idUSKCN0XM22H

The U.S. Justice Department on Monday gave antitrust approval to Charter Communications Inc's (CHTR.O) proposed purchase of Time Warner Cable Inc (TWC.N) and Bright House networks, which would create the second-largest U.S. broadband provider and third-largest video provider.

[....]

The Federal Communications Commission must also approve the deal, and the agency's chairman on Monday said he, too, was prepared to put conditions on the merger aimed at promoting broadband competition.

[....]

Additionally, Charter would not be permitted to charge usage-based prices or impose data caps and would be prohibited from charging interconnection fees, including to online video providers, which deliver large volumes of internet traffic to broadband customers. He said the agreement would "demonstrate the viability of one broadband provider overbuilding another."

It was not immediately clear when the FCC would decide.

Both sets of conditions would be in place for seven years; Charter had sought three.

[....]

Shareholders of both companies have approved the deal. The only other outstanding approval needed is from one last state, California. An administrative judge has recommended the state's public utilities commission approve the deal, which could come as early as May 12

[....]

Charter, backed by billionaire John Malone's Liberty Media Corp (LMCA.O), had pursued TWC as far back as 2013. The two companies had acrimonious exchanges in 2013 and early 2014 that ended with Time Warner Cable rejecting unsolicited approaches by Charter and instead finding a white knight in Comcast Corp (CMCSA.O), the No. 1 U.S. cable services provider.

Comcast's $45 billion bid, however, fell through a year ago, after U.S. regulators raised concerns.

Following that, Charter and TWC resumed deal talks. In May last year, Charter said it would buy TWC in a cash-and-stock deal in order to compete with Comcast.

Charter gained about 5 percent to close at $207.01 On Monday and Time Warner rose 4.1 percent to close at $209.63.

Ready for the gangbang?

So it needs to get passed the FCC which isn't as much of a joke as it once was. Also the fact that they're expressly limited from imposing data caps and interconnect fees is a step in the right direction.

Of course the cynic in me wonders how long that would actually last before they find a way around it.

If charter does buyout time warner I have a feeling our customer service (which hasn't been as awful lately) will take a huge dive almost immediately. I also wonder if the prices would jump (most likely) considering charter does not have a high speed MAXX equivalent. From a quick google their highest tiers of internet are around 60mb/s which is a huge joke compared to time warner's offerings.

im on brighthouse, their customer service is great. The customer service reps know what they're talking about and what plans are available/pricing without transferring me to 50 different departments.

I downgraded my internet access plan in under 15 minutes. I never want to be part of TWC or comcast or any large conglomerate bullshit ever again.

I don't know though, how much are you paying for what speed? TWC now offers $15/month for basic cable and $65/month for 200/20.

I appreciate that you put the after-12-month-promotion price as opposed to first-12-month $55 (for 200/20). I'm assuming that is the package you have.

Actually I'm paying out the wing-wang ATM due to me having cable TV that I don't use for various reasons....but yes....I do have the 200/20 package ATM. I also was not aware of the promotion price either so I was just recalling whatever I saw a while ago....

my rates (no promo):

300/20 - $200

200/15 - $105

100/10 - $90

50/10 - $75 (my plan now. im on promo for $65/mo)

also noting that a TWC merger will 99% not change my rates for the better. I had comcast in this area before and they were nearly identical.

~$75/month or less for internet is the cost I think most of us are willing to pay on the upper end. I don't think any of us are willing to pay more than that for internet alone so its just whatever speeds that can be offered for that.

I agree with this statement. I currently have 50/5 and there is occasionally times when I wish it was faster but if I look at my overall utilization and average it out, this is plenty and I really could not justify paying more.

I agree. I had 200/15 for a bit (1 month) and downgraded to save a couple of bucks. as other than streaming movies on 2 devices (we never do this) I don't have a need for that much bandwidth.

My 200/20 gets overloaded mainly because one of my roommates needs to download something on steam while I'm playing games but other than that, its typical utilization even with 20+ network devices (according to my router) is minimal.

I have 200/20, while my mom doesn't utilize much of it, my step-father will often have netflix, multiple youtube videos randomly playing and some other applications. I would feel bad, but considering my house has at least 2 heavy users, I'd rather pay the extra and make sure we're not running into bandwidth issues.

Besides, it's nice when I can fully max it out on a steam download or grabbing something from xdcc. I've grabbed episodes of shows in 1080p in less than 30 seconds and whole movies in less than 3 minutes. I know it seems childish but the instant gratification can feel incredibly satisfying.