Tactically Inept

Keyboards & Mice

kuhla

i see what you mean. i also lift my mouse from time to time. i use pretty low sensitivity and 400 dpi. 

some of my fav logitech mouse past-current

Logitech g9/g9x = perfect shape i wish they release this wirelessly and i would instantly buy it.
g pro wired = almost like g9 but its too flat. too thin height wise.
g pro wireless = light
g pro superlight = superlight; speaking of lifting your mouse this one is exceptionally effortless lifting it because its soo light.

i don't think I've owned any other mouse brand; always Logitech. I've shopped razer stuff before but every time i tried them/demo they feel too big for my hands but i think they have smaller size now. 

the shit i have that i remember

MX300
MX518 OG
G5
G9
G700
G700S
G402
G900
G Pro
G Pro Wireless
G Pro X superlight

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok, ive used the superlight for a few days now. i don't think its worth the 150 dollar upgrade if you already using the original ones. but if i have to pick i would still pick the superlight.

from just moving around on the pads they feel lighter but its not night and day. but the moment you lift the mouse, you feel it

i do a lot of mouse lifting to reposition or quick movement since im on a low sensitivity.

battery last longer too; which is nice, because no led. although you can always turn the led on and off the original pro wireless.

buttons on the right side and the bottom(dpi select) going away doesn't bother me; i don't use those anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

"The most used gear by CS:GO professionals (+some eDPI and resolution stats) in 2021 so far"

reddit image - https://i.redd.it/tp11tvbwrwa61.png

A lot of "old" items listed there. Not really that surprising for eSports.

For mice specifically, shape/comfort has been, and continues to be, THE single most important variable. Sensors have been more than good enough for years now, even for the pros, and weight does not make as much of a difference as people claim although to be fair none of those mice are >100g.

Oh boy. In partnership with Xtrfy, RJN has released his own mouse.

product page: https://xtrfy.com/mice/mz1

The website is having issues right now so I can only pull info from what people have commented:

So I actually think the shape looks good to me. Hump towards the back. Low front. Sides scoop a bit for grip. Not true ambi with some slight differences between left and right side. The holes for weight savings are not as crazy as some designs. I think there are two big issues though. One is the fact that this is being priced at $80 for a wired mouse. That's a lot. The other issue is the size. RJN has always commented that he likes smaller mice and this thing is small.

I'm going to try to keep an open mind.

image.png

Cooler Master Quick Fire TK - https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/peripheral/keyboards/quick-fire-tk/#image-Item3

Ooooooohhhh. I have not seen this before. I do not like this keyboard but I do like this layout. The arrow keys + function buttons keep their traditional layout while saving some space by being integrated into the numpad which gives numlock a real purpose again. That must be really close to the same size as a tenkeyless keyboard without losing the tenkey.

8 hours ago, Malaphax said:

Seems like a slightly more compact version of an 1800 layout.  Here's some examples of 1800 layout keyboards:

EDIT: Looks like nobody liked this layout and these models are not even sold anywhere anymore.

Kinda? I'm just really appreciating that this is the same physical layout/shape:

image.png

I mean, most keyboards today support macros and layers and you could absolutely put your arrows and nav cluster on the numpad if you want. 

Having used a 96% layout for a while, honestly I grew to hate the small zero key, I prefer a 2u zero key.  There's a reason the only 1800 style keyboard that ever interested me was the Austin, since it keeps a 2u zero key and gives you a page down and up key as well.  Plus the keyboard you linked has a huge piece of unused space above the numpad - you can easily fit either more navigation keys up there or something else. 

I'm leaning more towards having a smaller form factor keyboard and having a separate numpad.  Seems to cover more bases than trying to cram more keys into a slightly smaller form factor. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Announced today.

Roccat Kone Pro Air

Marketing video:

Looking pretty solid. The multiple wireless radio is a nice touch. The size seems to be on the larger side but it's sort of ergonomic so that could be deceiving. Has just about every other feature. Some people already saying "75g too heavy" lolol.

I'm glad to see more of a push towards USB-C.  I've seen too many expensive mice that weren't willing to put up for USB-C and then take it even further by putting weird protrusions to try and make their charging cables proprietary.  Both Logitech and Razer come to mind for that.  I'm also curious how much faster USB-C charging is, 

So after reading some comments (look in the youtube comments of that roccat video) I have learned today that some people are adamantly opposed to optical switches and would never buy a mouse that uses them because you cannot "drag click" which is apparently intentional double bouncing used in some games.... which is like the whole problem.... that optical switches.... are supposed to solve.....

I had to look it up. Here is a video of drag clicking:

That seems like an absolutely stupid thing to do.  If you're going to go that far why not program the a macro or use the scroll wheel up/down as the intended input either directly in game or with a keymapping software and then do that instead of some weird grip and using friction to intentionally bounce the keys faster. 
Also my understanding is that most guns in fps games actually have a maximum fire rate so you can't use macros (or dumbass drag clicking) to artificially increase your fire rate.  So at best this is attempting to exploit games that don't have a maximum "fire rate" or input limit on clicks. 

Considering I've seen way more people complain about unintended double clicking issues on mice because of either poor quality switches or switch degradation over time - I have a hard time understanding people who would prefer mechanical switches with debouncing. 

Announced today.

RAZER OROCHI V2

• product page: https://www.razer.com/gaming/mice/razer-orochi-v2
  • wirelss, both RF and bluetooth
  • weight "< 60 g"
  • no holes/honeycomb
  • custom made-to-order top shells
  • mechanical switches
  • usb dongle can fit inside the mouse
  • can use different types of batteries
  • don't know what the sensor is but it's probably more than good enough
  • $70

A little cheaper than other wireless gaming mouse, seems a tiny bit more budget/travel oriented but still solid. The multiple wireless radio is again a nice touch. When I see that I imagine someone pairing multiple devices. The multiple battery compartment seems possibly a lifesaver in a pinch. I feel like the custom top shell thing has been done before and did not sell well but I don't want to poopoo customization options.

• 2 months later...

So now that I am using the USB hub+switch, things have changed a little bit.

I am now back on the extremely casual quest for my ideal keyboard again. The main features I am looking for are:

• Mechanical for the sole reason of being able to remove the keycaps and clean them and the board.
  • Full size highly preferred for the numpad. Going with anything less than full size would feel like a compromise.
  • Low profile switches and keycaps.
  • Tactile switches highly preferred for the feel. Going with linear switches would feel like a compromise although they sometimes seem quieter than tactiles which is nice.

Keychron is still offering the most compelling options but especially looking at the K1 I am not crazy about investing in the "old" style low profile Gaterons (similar to Kailh Choc) when compared to their K3.

This post is not really an update I guess.