Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Raspberry Pi

I know many engineers/hobbyist who do that.....its a fairly common field for them to enjoy. I'm not that type of person who would enjoy it though.

They'd be great for home automation, or anything you want to automate that they haven't made a product for already. My old coworker used it to turn his house lights on and off through an app he made.

He used the the board to control a set of relays to superswitches he got at Costco. The raspberry pi acted as an email server so his android app just sent an email to the raspberry pi and monitored his gmail for the right commands. It was crude but it worked haha. He was able to control his window AC, and lamps and lights with it.

You can do anything an embedded controller would be able to do, but you can program it in python instead of c. And it costs under $50, which is pretty cheap for the io it offers.

Really debating getting a RasperryPi for my car for automatic dashcam cloud uploads 

*edit*
nevermind only for Pi Zeros (W)

8 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

Really debating getting a RasperryPi for my car for automatic dashcam cloud uploads 

*edit*
nevermind only for Pi Zeros (W)

Well those are really cheap sooo.....

Shipping is insane at $16.....but i can get the similar kit on Amazon pretty cheap...