Tactically Inept

Official Do You Want To Get Food Thread

Jedi2155

yelp - http://www.yelp.com/biz/fresh-griller-fullerton

I tried Fresh Griller today and it pleasantly surpassed my expectations. Price was ok. They have lots of leafy and vegetable options on their menu. I had a bowl which was actually a pretty good portion of food with "summer mix salad" (which includes black beans and corn), rice, bell pepper, double portion of beef, topped off with this cilantro sauce, hot sauce and crushed peanuts.

One warning I will give is their "soda" is all "in-house brand" so, for me, I wasted my money buying a drink because they didn't have a diet option.

I will be going back.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went here today. Not sure I would go back on my own but the place was almost entirely full even when I went which was little past lunch primetime for a sunday so it must be popular with many people. Buffet has various sushi, various seafood, mongolian-style-bbq area, some "american chinese" food and some "chinese chinese" food, small "american food" section and dessert area. Price is pretty comparable to other buffets I know except during the week it seems to be a bit cheaper than most.

• 2 months later...

source - http://www.ocregister.com/articles/yelp-703619-location-tustin.html

Five Orange County restaurants made Yelp’s “Top 100 Places to Eat in the U.S.” for 2016, according to rankings released Wednesday.

Mama D's Italian Kitchen, an Italian coastal favorite in Newport Beach, ranked the highest at No. 8. It was followed by Cream Pan of Tustin (No. 11), Mr BBQ of Fullerton, CA (No. 27), Istanbul Grill California of Fountain Valley (No. 43) and Rockfire Grill of Mission Viejo (No. 60).

Unlike last year, the rankings are based on performance since the founding of Yelp in 2004.

I'm down if you guys want to get Korean BBQ, it looks like they request everyone at the table order the same level (either $22.99 or $29.99 per person) and it's all you can eat. There are also some specials that seem to feed multiple people but have limitations, I have no idea how they work.

The last time I had korean bbq was in LA and it was alright, just don't expect me to eat intestines... once was enough.

Ate at two new places this weekend.

1) Charlies Best - http://www.yelp.com/biz/charlies-best-fullerton-2

Went there for a basic american breakfast (eggs, pancakes, steak, etc.). Price was what I expected and portion size was about right. Place was clean, not too loud, not too crowded and I didn't wait too long. Not special but I was satisfied.

2) Stadium Tavern - http://www.yelp.com/biz/stadium-tavern-fullerton

Went there for lunch. Decent portion sizes. Medium price. Was a little loud initially but they turned the music down a bit which was better. Menu is decent sized but nothing all that special; most of your usual american style food. I had a steak with tortillas, beans and rice. Not sure I have that much reason to go back but nothing to complain about either.

• 1 month later...

Based on both the yelp and OCregister list, went to Salt&Ash on Saturday. It's a bit pricey. Portion sizes are a little smaller than what I consider average but I would not call them "small". They had some interesting menu options that sets them a little apart. I kind of think of them in the same way as tempo kitchen in brea. I don't know if it will be part of my regular rotation but I think most people could find something to like on their menu.

• 3 weeks later...

Where is Ben going?

Enough time has passed so I'll fill in the story: Ben is moving up in the IT world and an offer was made through a connection he had that would be both an upgrade in both income and title. However it is in Texas. So he is moving. Chasing the dream.

Count me and the wifey.

Ok. Getting a handle on total group size early would be good.

Here is the details:

6:30pm, tomorrow, Saturday, at Lucilles Smokehouse BBQ in Brea on Imperial. I made a reservation already for a party of 6 because they said they were booked for parties larger than 6 but if we show up with 7, I'm sure we can get a chair and be a little more crowded.

Alright, I should have posted much earlier than this, but its true that I have accepted a new IT position out of state. I'll be embarking on Thursday of this coming week.

So, I hope to grab a last meal with you all. Thanks to kuhla, I believe everyone has the details. Hope to see you all there!

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2017 at 0:18 PM, kuhla said:

I was talking with malaphax about this and I want to start semi-regularly hitting up random stuff from Yelp possibly on Saturday nights. I feel like I would benefit from taking more risks with trying out new food options.

The link: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=restaurant&start=0&attrs=RestaurantsPriceRange2.1,RestaurantsPriceRange2.2,RestaurantsPriceRange2.3&open_time=7035&l=g:-117.79403686523438,33.954940325558134,-118.00003051757812,33.78390189043864

Filter:

• Best Match (special note below)
  • All price categories included except for the highest ("$$$$")
  • Open at 9:15pm on a Friday
  • Tagged "restaurant"

The map/range restriction is a little bigger than the one I did previously.

Special note: "Highest Rated" and "Most Reviewed" sorting limits results to 4 pages. "Best Match" results appear to be unlimited but honestly I do not trust this sorting option.

malaphax and I have tried to revive the "it's Saturday night think about risking going somewhere new from yelp list" thing. Recent places we have gone that have been new to me and a quick one-liner:

1. Public House - Trendy casual indoor place. Some interesting burger and beer options. Downtown Fullerton.
  2. Hopscotch - A bit expensive. Mainly burgers and beer. Downtown Fullerton. Outdoor patio is nice. Probably don't want to be here late though because it's next to Slidebar.
  3. Habit Grill - Basic burgers and fries kind of place.
  4. Fuoco - Fancy pizzas and some Italian food. Tasted good but European style so small number of toppings. Some unique stuff on menu. Downtown Fullerton.

Habit is a chain, I'd never been to it before but it's good for the price, similar to innout but with more variety available. 
Public House / Hopscotch are our replacements for Pint House.  They're simple burger & beer places, nothing fancy but solid enough. 
Fuoco is European style pizza.  I'm of the opinion that the various US styles are better.  I would rather eat at pieology/blaze than this place. 

Kuhla and I are still trying to broaden our horizons, or at least try new places, but I'd still like to see a bit more variety.  If you guys are interested in trying someplace new, just text us - we're fairly open as long as we have a plan nailed down a few hours before dinner time. 

37 minutes ago, Malaphax said:

If you guys are interested in trying someplace new, just text us - we're fairly open as long as we have a plan nailed down a few hours before dinner time. 

Don't bother inviting me though if it is korean bbq style.... I'm not a fan....

• 1 year later...