Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR)

Lenovo Explorer @ $190 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826509124

The general consensus is that this is #4 or #5 best VR headset available out there right now. The entry point for experiencing VR has come way down and hovered around this price for a while now.

Acer announced a new headset, Acer OJO 500 ( https://www.slashgear.com/acer-ojo-500-windows-mixed-reality-headset-specifications-price-ifa-2018-29543289/ ) a couple of weeks ago which will be more in line with the price of the Samsung Odyssey @ $400. Like the Odyssey it will have manual IPD adjustment which I think is possibly a big deal.

12 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

I've seen it for as low as $160 and been really tempted to get into it as a low cost VR until they advanced some more.

Me too. The ONLY reason I have not bought it is IPD issue scares me. If it doesn't line up perfectly for me (or guests who try it) the experience will be mostly ruined and I won't use it and it will be a waste of money.

6 hours ago, kuhla said:

Me too. The ONLY reason I have not bought it is IPD issue scares me. If it doesn't line up perfectly for me (or guests who try it) the experience will be mostly ruined and I won't use it and it will be a waste of money.

I'm sad that the Microsoft stores have mostly pulled them off demo's otherwise I would've gone and tried it out. I'm also really tempted to try it just because I'm more towards the center of a normal distribution curve when it comes to ergonomics. Its just you are ze big german that messes with your situations.

21 hours ago, Jedi2155 said:

I'm sad that the Microsoft stores have mostly pulled them off demo's otherwise I would've gone and tried it out. I'm also really tempted to try it just because I'm more towards the center of a normal distribution curve when it comes to ergonomics. Its just you are ze big german that messes with your situations.

IPD wise, I think I'm technically in the bell curve too but more towards the large end of it. Headstrap size could be an issue too (I have 7¾ hat size) but I'll worry about that when I get there.

This is pretty neat.  The idea behind it is you can use the VR component to simulate training scenarios like different malfunctions or poor weather/visibility.  Glad to see technology like this is being used in more mainstream applications. 

I'm not even sure if that qualifies as VR or AR at that point. I guess technically it is VR since it is not overlaying?

Yes, this would be VR.  You could do with with AR and have it show the same landing windows which would be another great training tool to help train pilots.  AR systems have the option of being a pilot aide that could be rolled out to commercial pilots as well, it might be useful in low visibility conditions and prevent potential crash landings like what happened in San Francisco a few years back. 

Considering the military was deploying AR flight systems (F-35 comes to mind) relatively recently, it's impressive to see this tech being pushed out into the commercial space so quickly. 

16 minutes ago, Malaphax said:

Yes, this would be VR.  You could do with with AR and have it show the same landing windows which would be another great training tool to help train pilots.  AR systems have the option of being a pilot aide that could be rolled out to commercial pilots as well, it might be useful in low visibility conditions and prevent potential crash landings like what happened in San Francisco a few years back. 

Considering the military was deploying AR flight systems (F-35 comes to mind) relatively recently, it's impressive to see this tech being pushed out into the commercial space so quickly. 

inb4 commercial airline pilots look like this?

image.png

I actually wouldn't have a problem with this lol

Oooooooook. It's launching at the same price as the previous model, has the same field of view as the previous model, same size screens and technically the resolution is listed as the same too but they are advertising that the "user percieved resolution" has doubled?

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2019/02/24/microsoft-at-mwc-barcelona-introducing-microsoft-hololens-2/

Tech specs are a bit murky, instead of ppi they're using "pixels per degree of sight."  Also this still looks like a very expensive dev kit ($3,500) that they're mostly marketing to businesses, I expect we won't see a proper user focused release for quite some time. 

I don't think this is april fools. A lot of people have been speculating this for a long time.

"Valve Index, a new VR headset from Valve, could launch on June 15"

https://www.techradar.com/news/valve-unveils-its-own-virtual-reality-headset-the-valve-index

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/valve_index/

I'm guessing that slider is IPD adjustment.

Could be good. May-June. Not long to wait.

The ammo counter sorta exists already.
I think a reload warning would be nearly useless, you can tell when you're empty either because the bolt/slide locks back or you pull the trigger and get an empty click.  You don't want a warning like that to be audible because then an adversary could hear it (see garand).  So at best you'd get a visual warning that would probably tell you something you already know.  At worst you might get some false reporting where it's telling you the mag is empty when it isn't. 

The RELOAD part was more of a joke, from early FPS type movies and game trailers alerting the user to "RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD" when they're about to be killed by some monster, or demon etc.

ahahaha reloo lo lo loo

my fav was after burner ,outrun virtua racing, and outrunners

https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index

https://store.steampowered.com/valveindex

Total cost for headset, controllers and 2 base stations: $999

• Dual 1440 x 1600 LCDs, full RGB per pixel, ultra-low persistence global backlight illumination (0.330ms at 144Hz)
  • 80/90/120/144Hz
  • Optimized eye relief adjustment allows a typical user experience 20º more than the HTC Vive
  • Inter-pupillary Distance (IPD) - 58mm - 70mm range physical adjustment
  • SteamVR 2.0 sensors, compatible with SteamVR 1.0 and 2.0 base stations
  • Cameras - Stereo 960 x 960 pixel, global shutter, RGB (Bayer)

That is nice but ooof at that price. Those periodic $299 Samsung Odyssey+ deals looks like they are going to remain the best value option. Hopefully they keep running them....

HTC Vive Cosmos

product page - https://www.vive.com/us/product/cosmos/

• 1440 x 1700 pixels per eye (2880 x 1700 pixels combined)
  • 110-degree field-of-view
  • 90Hz refresh rate
  • $699

New consumer best specced model?

I wonder if this will push down the price of the Valve unit.

Best value is still the Samsung that goes on sale constantly.

It seems the trend is going towards LCDs to remove Screen Door Effect (SDE) at the cost of more muted colors, backlight bleed (black contrast), and possibly other things. Inside out tracking is pretty good but its terrible when you need to do physical movements like crouch, and shift, and use your body generally.

I definitely do get issues a lot with positional height (during the calibration step), and moving my arms from my side during rest periods (additional side cameras  tackle this compared to the 2 on the Odyssey+). The big plus is portabilty and setup ease compared to lightroom cube setups.