Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Imgur Auto-embeds Discussion

Since imgur is one of the more popular, temporary, anonymous image hosting options out there, one that I use myself with some frequency, I've added an auto-embed for images from imgur. However, because there are a few different imgur link formats, I've had to put some restrictions on it. Quick example of imgur URLs...

(1) http://i.imgur.com/N416LY3.jpg

(2) 
(3)

1) A direct link to a single image.

2) This is a link to a gallery but that doesn't mean there are multiple images. Sometimes there are galleries of one. Galleries often include text/captions. There is no real nice way to embed these. They should stay as links.

3) This seems to always be a link to an imgur page with a single image of the same name but file extension is not given in the URL (although that doesn't matter too much to your browser).

At this time I only have #1 working. If you post the direct link to a single image, the forum will take care of the rest to embed it.

I'll have to do a little thinking about #2 and #3. I don't want, in the case of #2, to have only a single image from a gallery embed. I would like to get #3 working for single images but for right now it would have a hard time distinguishing between "gallery" and "imageID".

For a trial period I'll leave this on. Please test it if you have a chance. Feedback is always appreciated.

It looks like gifv isn't working as I have it implemented right now but it should be possible with a little work. I'll update on this when I have more.

It looks like gifv isn't working as I have it implemented right now but it should be possible with a little work. I'll update on this when I have more.

Works now.

HTML5 browser support now mandatory.....

Works now.

HTML5 browser support now mandatory.....

I've made some changes to the auto-embed in terms of how it affects imgur gifv and I would like to explain why. My options were to have a play button, progress bar, and full screen button ... or ... put them on autoplay with a loop and remove the player controls that were slightly impeding on the image. For now I've settled on autoplay with a loop sans-controls and this is more inline with imgur's plan for gifv.

1) http://imgur.com/blog/2014/10/09/introducing-gifv/comment-page-1/

2) https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/203578215-What-is-GIFV-

3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video

gifv is not a file format. When you upload a gif over a certain size, to my understanding, imgur will automatically make an mp4 and a webm video out of it since it will dramatically cut down on file size (save bandwidth). Since it's coming from a gif in the first place it won't have audio. mp4 and webm are both capable of audio but an imgur gifv should never have it. When you point someone to a gifv on imgur, it will pick one of the two videos based on browser support.

This is quickly going to turn into rambling so the point is that the source material is a gif and I'm essentially treating it like a gif (no controls, autoplay, loop) even though it is full fledged video embed.

For future html5 video embeds, they will probably have to be handled differently.