Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Tobacco in terms of how it relates to other drug policies

source - https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/11/20861018/trump-vape-juul-ban-flavored-fda-e-cigarette

In a surprise meeting on Wednesday, President Donald Trump pushed to ban all non-tobacco-flavored e-cigarettes from the market. Trump discussed the proposal during a meeting at the White House after discussing the move with advisers like Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and acting Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Norman Sharpless, Bloomberg reported.

“Not only is it a problem overall, but really specifically with respect for children,” Trump told reporters. He continued, “We may very well have to do something very, very strong about it.”

Secretary Azar said the FDA would soon issue regulatory guidance to remove flavored vaping products from the market. The secretary cited statistics showing five million children using e-cigarettes of some kind, a number he found “alarming.” In December, the US Surgeon General declared underage vaping “an epidemic,” laying the groundwork for future regulatory action.

I have to say I'm a little surprised. That sounds like a pretty major move that will cut down on young people vaping.

I'm not a fan of vaping/smoking but I feel as though this ban is misguided.  Are we going to ban flavored liquor as well?  The issue of teen/youth vaping isn't purely because of the flavors, it's attacking a symptom instead of the root problem. 

I think a better question would be why in the fuck was Juul invited to school campuses to discuss vaping, and then why were they allowed to flat out lie about the health affects?   
Source1: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/juul-came-to-a-9th-grade-classroom-and-told-teens-their-products-were-totally-safe-according-to-teens-testimonies/
Source2: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/emerging-tobacco-products/5-takeaways-congressional-hearings-juul-and-youth-e

I think the obvious restriction would be hitting e-cigarette brands with the same restrictions as normal smoking brands - limiting their ability to advertise.  My limited understanding is that Juul (owned 35% by philip morris/altria) is going to start moving forward by opening retail locations - which I think should be strictly controlled.  

As much as I hate to suggest some sort of public information campaign, I do think proper education for children in school about the negative impacts of vaping would be another step in the right direction. 

10 hours ago, Malaphax said:

Are we going to ban flavored liquor as well?

I do not like this analogy at all.

Alcohol can be consumed regularly (in moderation) for an entire lifetime with zero long term health affects.

Smoking cannot be done safely in any quantity. Period. Full stop.

While I agree smoking and vaping are not safe in any quantity - I disagree with the idea of banning it completely and I especially disagree with this weird half-step of banning specific flavors as an attempt to reduce teen use. 

I think we should strongly discourage the use of tobacco and any nicotine products, including heavy taxation and possibly other means - but I don't think it should be banned.  I totally understand the argument of "it provides no benefit to society" but I draw the line at curtailing people's freedom.  Someone can choose to drink alcohol to excess every day of their life, and suffer health consequences and that's perfectly legal.  Same could be said for over-eating, or lack or lack of exercise or a myriad of other personal choices that remain legal.  The few times I can support bans/restrictions would be when it affects the public at large, such as banning smoking in most buildings, and this already has strong support.

I think we need to treat vaping exactly the same as smoking (which is basically what we're doing now), but banning specific products due to their flavor is misguided.