Tactically Inept

Truck's days are numbered. Got to keep my eyes open.

kuhla

thts good. what was wrong with it?

Mainly coolant system but other stuff to. I asked him to do the extras. Laundry list of stuff in the end.

DId some quick searching on ranger spark plug replacement. Apparently it's a bit more difficult on my truck than some vehicles because of the manifold. See 2:40 timestamp in the video below.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, I heard you can got a Fiesta ST for $19k new due to poor sales. Grab one while its hot. With a good 5 year a car loan, I think the monthly payments could be low enough to be affordable (~2% interest at Credit Unions).

http://www.motortrend.com/features/mt_hot_list/1507_top_11_vehicles_we_dont_praise_enough/viewall.html

Quote from your link:

There’s not enough praise for me to throw at Ford’s feisty little B-segment bastard above and beyond this: I bought one. People, this car is so good. It placed sixth at last year’s Best Driver’s Car. The BMW M4 was fifth. Developed in Germany by Ford of Europe, an actual world-class hot hatch has snuck into the USA, and no one’s buying them. Why not? Aside from us Motor Trend types not giving the car enough praise, the Fiesta ST only comes with a manual. That, sadly, makes it salesproof. Meaning they’re piling up on dealer lots, and the deals are scorching. The fully loaded sticker price is about $26K. But a buddy of mine in Tennessee got his for $19K. Brand-spankin’ new. And green. Very, very green. Note: Word is that in an attempt to boost sales, Ford softened up the 2015 version of the Fiesta ST, taking the handling down a notch while improving the ride. Mine’s a 2014, and Ford hasn’t given us a 2015 to goof around with (yet), so I couldn’t tell you. But caveat emptor. Odds are you can find a brand-new 2014 for very little cash. That’s a small price to pay for one of the world’s best-handling cars.

0% dudeee

It's nice and all but I still have other financial priorities that I would rather address as much as I'm real tired of my truck and just about any other type of vehicle would be more practical for me.

no one’s buying them. Why not?

FYI, I heard you can got a Fiesta ST for $19k new due to poor sales. Grab one while its hot. With a good 5 year a car loan, I think the monthly payments could be low enough to be affordable (~2% interest at Credit Unions).

http://www.motortrend.com/features/mt_hot_list/1507_top_11_vehicles_we_dont_praise_enough/viewall.html

Curiosity is getting the better of me on this. When you say "...monthly payments could be low enough to be affordable..." what kind of numbers do you throw around in your head?

Offtopic: This isn't 4chan. Knock it off.

Ontopic: It's a good question worth asking since reviews have been almost universally positive. I guess manual-only really is a sales killer....

Manual only is a pretty big sales killer. Having spent more than half of this week driving an automatic I can attest to the fact that it's very nice to be able to drive brainlessly and not worry about traffic.

That being said, my current commute is not an issue, but if I had a significantly worse commute I would begin to seriously consider looking for a DSG or automatic transmission.

Curiosity is getting the better of me on this. When you say "...monthly payments could be low enough to be affordable..." what kind of numbers do you throw around in your head?

Ontopic: It's a good question worth asking since reviews have been almost universally positive. I guess manual-only really is a sales killer....

im assuming around 200 dollar monthly payment depends on your downpayment really.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/financing/calc/loanCalc.jsp?mode=full

and speaking of manual. i drove to work with the hyundai 57/5/55 to newport. all of those are fucked during my commute. yeap. its usa rowing team.

I apologize, but seeing that we were a 4chan like group (I learned of it from this group afterall) in the early days and this thread is not under serious discussion, I felt it was appropriate. I will avoid it in the future.

On topic: My Spark EV was a $22k loan with $385/monthly payment. You can do your own auto loan calculations based on your own conditions. My loan was quite high because my effective car price is based on rebates. Out the door it was ~22-23k. I canceled about 2.5k worth of options after purchase so my current loan is closer to 19k.

I apologize, but seeing that we were a 4chan like group (I learned of it from this group afterall) in the early days and this thread is not under serious discussion, I felt it was appropriate. I will avoid it in the future.

On topic: My Spark EV was a $22k loan with $385/monthly payment. You can do your own auto loan calculations based on your own conditions. My loan was quite high because my effective car price is based on rebates. Out the door it was ~22-23k. I canceled about 2.5k worth of options after purchase so my current loan is closer to 19k.

Any specific reason you decided to go with 5 year loan instead of 6, 7 years? Not planning to have it that long?

Generally speaking, the longer the loan (after 3 years), the higher the interest rate. I was aiming for a specific monthly payment (my old Volt), and 5 years was a decent number. I'm actually aiming to pay it off next year to avoid paying all the interest on it but we'll see.

That is probably quite true. You will need to do two calculations though to determine the actual cost.

1. Amortization of the loan over the term period

2. Net Present Value of the interest rate over that time (Based on inflation)

3. Use that number compare it against the price over sticker

Lastly (personal), determine the benefit of a reduced monthly payment versus higher interest cost. Those are my decision making questions whenever I look at loan prices.

money now is almost always worth more than money later, but yes- you can do math to show that this is true

In the context of this conversation what you're saying is that its always a good idea to take a loan if the loan is < inflation? That's a very general statement and belies opportunity costs. So I disagree with your post.

I wanted to circle back and address this properly. It's not about being "random".

Want to suddenly start a gif war that goes for 3 pages in any thread outside serious discussion? Be my guest. I might even encourage it.

Want to take a thread on a tangent? Sure. Just don't expect others to follow.

Multi-multi-multi-multi-quoting someone and providing no content of your own is what I consider shitposting. It literally is nothing. I spend 20 seconds trying to understand what it is that has been posted and what is trying to be conveyed just to find..... nothing.... a complete lack of any message. I mentioned 4chan because they sometimes really seem to love doing that.

The original point of my "repost" was that I was trying to ask why aren't you considering a new vehicle more. You placed a perfectly good vehicle that matches what you'd like in a new vehicle and it was close to affordable. The repost was suppose to be my clever way of reusing what you said to bring attention to that logic. I'll be more clear next time.

Additionally, my old Volt is on sale for $14,900. I can tell you exactly its problems and conditions since it appears it has garnered zero additional miles since it was returned.

http://www.singhchevy.com/VehicleDetails/used-2012-Chevrolet-Volt-5dr_HB-Riverside-CA/2533748403

The original point of my "repost" was that I was trying to ask why aren't you considering a new vehicle more. You placed a perfectly good vehicle that matches what you'd like in a new vehicle and it was close to affordable.

It's funny because even my mom is putting some pressure on me at this point to get a new vehicle.

you should take your truck to carmax and see how much they give

KBB says maybe $2k but I had someone recently tell me he thinks I could get $3k for it because some people are specifically shopping for that make and model which I could leverage.

Let's say it all goes to shit and I get $1.5k for it. Take $4k of my own money. Take a $15k loan. That's $20k strict total to spend rounding down for something fun. Assuming 5 year loan at 3% that would probably put me in the upper $200s for monthly payments. I could afford it but I don't want to. That doesn't even factor in the much higher insurance cost that I would have for sure. All in all it would make my finances tighter than I want them to be.

If I drop it down to a $15k strict total with only a $10k loan on some eco-box of a vehicle my monthly payments would probably be upper $100s. Insurance would still be more than now but it would be lower than something fun.

This is a classic example of something my brother Zach and I would disagree on. He would strongly argue in favor of buy the nicer, better thing now because who knows what life brings. I would strongly argue that the stressor of payments, financial stability, future outlook and planning, etc..