Tactically Inept

Truck's days are numbered. Got to keep my eyes open.

kuhla

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it will most likely be a pain in the ass but you may want to consider browsing some private car listings casually. Most of the time you'll get a better deal on the car itself, the only downside would be that dealers sometimes offer certified pre-owned vehicles with some form of included service or warranty. That being said, I'm not sure how much service a car under 3 years would need aside from an oil change and possibly tires.

Unless something terrible happens to your truck, I wouldn't settle for an econo-box. Anytime you make a large purchase like that you want to try and avoid settling if at all possible.

Tino, I know you're probably given a good driver discount, you might want to consider looking into Wawanesa. I've had my insurance through them and it's been very reasonable.

Would you buy your old volt for $14,900?

I was debating this point in my head as I drove to work and I'd say....it depends on your condition. If you have the funding to get a new Volt and the full federal tax credit, then no because you can argue the price down of a new Volt down to around $29k + tax ($32k) - $10k = $22k for a new Volt with full warranties, complimentary features, dealer add-ons, new features/abilities, and a new car with no known problems. BUT that involves being able to obtain the $7500 tax credit (which many people cannot), and being able to afford $32k upfront in loans/down payment. That's the kicker than many people cannot handle.

Since that is the case and your limiting yourself to a upfront payment of under $20k, then my Volt is an amazing deal compared to competing offerings in the same price range. It a consistent 36-39 MPG gas engine, 40 miles of EV range (+/-5), for a price better than a competing used Prius (mines was fully equipped with every optional feature). I'm actually trying to see if there is a good reason to buy the car myself for my family (my Dad and sister is somewhat on the market for car).

And its about $16k out the door. The buy out on my lease when I returned it was $28,800. It's now $14,900 5 months later.

Here's the full inspection report when they got my lease back too. The condition was rated a 4 out of 5.

blackdot.jpg Int Odor: Foul

Gross richard

Yeah get on. LoL, actually I noticed that too when I first saw this report 2 months back and I was kind of upset that they said my car smelled foul. I asked my coworkers if they thought it smelled foul and non of them said they had a problem with it (I took them out to lunch regularly). Maybe the inspector has thing against Asian smell (if there is such a thing).

• 6 months later...

Truck needs a new clutch (it's a bit overdue for one) and I've got the quotes for the parts+service so this topic is relevant again as different ideas roll around in my head.

So what does craigslist show.... https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/cta?is_paid=all&hasPic=1&insideRange=1&search_distance_type=mi&search_distance=15&postal=92870&min_price=1500&min_auto_year=2013&auto_title_status=1

dayumm. you have like 150 k + miles ?

clutch + labor prob 700 ish ?

Not 150k, no, but 120k+. I don't drive that many miles.

If I get it done at a small shop, yes, you are really close with your numbers but I asked the dealership just to ask and they want double that lol

• 2 months later...

Dear diary,

Using some napkin math, at a guesstimated 10920 miles/year. Generally I would say over 90% of my miles are city miles.

5 years @ $5/gallon @ 20 mpg average = $13,650
5 years @ $5/gallon @ 30 mpg average = $9,100

Difference = $4550 after 5 years

I just assume gas prices are going to shoot up up up up up so I wanted to do math around those numbers.

Although California has it's own gasoline economy, yes Gasoline prices will be going up. I don't think they'll be hitting $5/gal in the next year or so, but eventually it will.

WTI is going up because of news about Kuwait striking and effectively cutting production by 50% I doubt we'll be getting $50/barrel but we're up in the low $40 range now and it might stay there for most of of this year.

As far as car costs, as long as the MPG isn't garbage I wouldn't worry too much about it, most modern cars are going to be getting substantially higher MPG than your truck.

• 3 months later...

I have talked to multiple banks, have info on what loans i would qualify for, rates, length, did math on them, got monthly payment numbers, called banks back and had them verify my numbers, crunched them in my monthly budget, insurance estimates, etc.

​It's basically going to come down to fun or utility. I cannot have both. Not inside the budget I have set for myself.

​Any advice about anything related to buying a used car, insurance, loans, whatever if you want to throw it in.... now is the time...

After all my research on finding new car insurance, Geico was pretty cheep. What auto loan rate are you qualifying for? Credit unions are usually pretty cheap but they're not all the same. Might be worth it to compare between some banks.

Here's my credit union who nearly provided me my home loan due to their usually low rates (mortgage broker upstate got me a better one).