Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Truck's days are numbered. Got to keep my eyes open.

Just a word of caution with mortgage brokers, they generally charge a fee, and I would be careful as to what that fee is.

I've been using Wawanesa as my insurance since I started driving. They are very selective with the drivers they are willing to insure and I've been happy with them. Just a warning they charge for the entire year up front rather than some insurers that offer monthly or 6 months of coverage.

I've heard that private sales tend to be the best deals for used cars but of course you have to do the legwork yourself. You also need to be able to do a cursory inspection yourself and determine that it's not busted.

If you get something from a dealer it might come with some limited warranty, but you'll probably pay for that in the higher price and you have to deal with the bullshit sales guys. If you go with the dealer try and go towards the end of the month and find the most desperate looking guy who needs to hit his sales numbers and fuck him over.

I would need to know what models you're looking at to offer any opinions on the cars themselves.

Just a word of caution with mortgage brokers, they generally charge a fee, and I would be careful as to what that fee is.

I've been using Wawanesa as my insurance since I started driving. They are very selective with the drivers they are willing to insure and I've been happy with them. Just a warning they charge for the entire year up front rather than some insurers that offer monthly or 6 months of coverage.

If you get something from a dealer it might come with some limited warranty, but you'll probably pay for that in the higher price and you have to deal with the bullshit sales guys. If you go with the dealer try and go towards the end of the month and find the most desperate looking guy who needs to hit his sales numbers and fuck him over.

In my case with my home mortgage broker, I was able to get a better loan through them, and based on the rate I chose I got a cash credit (3.375% 30 year + $3600 credit). I could have gone with a lower rate like 3.2% and gotten a smaller credit like $1000 (or pay more up front and got an even lower interest rate but at that point it didn't make much sense). Anyways, my point is that my mortgage broker found me a better rate than I could have found myself (and I looked at dozens of banks) and ripped my hair apart trying to get a good mortgage loan.

Looking back at my escrow documents, their fees were probably a bit high (I think) but at the end I still got more credit than their competitors.

hear good things with wawanesa.

AAA is premium but i still prefer them cause of they way how they handle accidents repairs / easy streamlined process.

they give discounts if you have other insurances. and the longer you are with them the more discount you get across the board.

home/auto/any type of insurance. including their roadside assistance.

buying a car or buying a used car.

if you are buying from dealer:

look for cars thats been sitting for a while.

on the day you want to BUY the car come in a quiet day. RAINY / SUPER HOT

also like malaphax said end of month.

DONT EVER buy on first visit. use this for negotiation game.

dont give your info for them to run credit checks until you are ready to buy the car.

i doubt dealers can beat your credit unions but ask aniway. maybe they have some sPEcial rates for preowned / first time buyer ?

i actually have different opinion with malaphax i thought you can do better with dealers vs private party. but i might be wrong.

I understand, and I'm not suggesting using a mortgage broker is a bad thing, I just want to point out that you should always be aware of fees.

I've seen flat fees, and points fees (percentage of the loan). From personal experience I've seen people paying 3% of their loan in fees to the mortgage originator and broker, which on a large loan can be... substantial, and that's not counting all the other fees associated with the mortgage.

Back to the point of the car purchase. I could ask my neighbor where he finds his car deals, he's always buying cars (at one point he owned 8 I believe). But right now I think he's happy with his new Tesla.