Tactically Inept

Mass immigration into EU from the Middle East.

kuhla

The meeting in Geldermalsen was to discuss establishing a centre for 1,500 asylum seekers.

About 2,000 people joined the protests from the municipality of 27,000, 27 km (17 miles) from Utrecht, Dutch national broadcaster NOS reports.

Local police say they made several arrests.

Along with Germany and Sweden, the Netherlands is one of the most popular destinations for migrants in the wealthier north of the EU.

Including this year's arrivals, the government said last month it expected to receive 58,000 asylum seekers by the end of 2016.

Former prisons, empty government offices and sports halls are being hastily modified to accommodate the surge in numbers

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35118496

Unlike other previous anti-migrant actions, these protesters do not appear to be linked to any white-supremacy or racist groups. These appear to just be people from that area which were very upset by the idea of opening additional migrant centers in their town.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debated whether to post this or not. Some people are running an agenda with this news but I don't think it is fabricated.

source - http://www.dw.com/en/string-of-new-years-eve-sexual-assaults-outrages-cologne/a-18958334

Police in the western German city of Cologne responded on Monday to outrage over a string of sexual crimes over New Year's Eve. According to police, the series of assaults in one of the city's busiest thoroughfares represented a "completely new dimension of crime."

Some 90 criminal complaints, including one allegation of rape, have been brought to the Cologne police department after women said they were molested by a crowd of men who had gathered in the city's famous square between its central train station and towering Gothic cathedral. Authorities expect more victims to come forward in the next few days.

City police chief Wolfgang Albers said the crowd was composed of up to 1,000 heavily intoxicated men who gave the appearance of being "Arab or North African" in background.

Speaking with local newspaper "Express," Ralf Jäger, the state interior minister for North Rhine-Westphalia, promised swift action.

"We will not accept that groups of North African men gather expressly for the purpose of debasing women by sexually assaulting them," the paper quoted Jäger as saying.

'Politically uncomfortable' consequences

The leader of the North Rhine-Westphalia branch of Germany's main police union, Arnold Plickert, called the crimes "a massive attack on basic rights" and said justice must be seen through even if it has "politically uncomfortable" consequences.

Plickert warned, however, against exploiting the incident to stir up anti-refugee sentiment.

"Any refugees who have a problem integrating into our open society and respecting the rights of other people" must be dealt with using the "full force of the law," he said, though adding that the public should not forget that "the great majority of the people who have come to us have done so because their lives are no longer safe in their homelands."

The government officials are terrified to point fingers.

Along those same lines:

According to Peter Ågren, who was heading the police operation this summer, one explanation as to why they did not talk more openly about this may be because the young men who were accused of harassing the girls, were mainly said to have foreign backgrounds. "Some times we do not really say how things are because we believe it may play into the hands of the Sweden Democrats," Ågren told Dagens Nyheter, referring to the anti-immigration party in Parliament.

https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=6342236

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/world/europe/swedish-police-coverup-sexual-assault.html

No police officer should be deciding how the reporting of crimes might affect political debate/elections. That's not the place of the police and it shouldn't be even remotely considered when handling their duties.

Debated whether to post this or not. Some people are running an agenda with this news but I don't think it is fabricated.

source - http://www.dw.com/en/string-of-new-years-eve-sexual-assaults-outrages-cologne/a-18958334

link - source - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35280386

A follow up to this, the numbers have grown and some official statements have come out. I won't quote it here because it would be too much.

There is a part of my brain, the conspiracy part, that wonders if Merkel can allow this to go on just a little bit longer so that she can play both sides. When she wanted to seem merciful she welcomed them all. When she wanted to seem tough she pushed for limits. There are no term limits for chancellor so re-election must always be on her mind.

source - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35286640

Germany has been sending an increasing number of migrants back to Austria every day since the beginning of the month, Austrian police say.

Many had no valid documents, whilst others did not want to apply for asylum in Germany but in other countries, notably in Scandinavia, police said.

Most of those sent back to Austria are not Syrians, who usually get asylum.

Instead, they are migrants mostly from Afghanistan as well as Morocco and Algeria, Austrian police said.

"The daily number of migrants being turned back has risen from 60 in December to 200 since the start of the year," David Furtner, police spokesman in Upper Austria state, told AFP news agency.

Last week, Sweden, a favoured destination for many of the migrants, sought to stem the flow by imposing controls on travellers from Denmark.

I have some personal investment in this situation so I'm trying to follow it somewhat closely but if I start posting too much stuff and it gets spammy, go ahead and call me on it.

source - http://www.thelocal.de/20160117/germany-plans-repatriation-centres-for-algerians-moroccans

Welt am Sonntag newspaper reported that Chancellor Angela Merkel and Bavarian state leader Horst Seehofer had agreed that Algerian and Moroccan asylum seekers should no longer be put in shelters throughout the country.

Instead, they would be housed in existing expulsion facilities in Bavaria until their claims have been heard, similar to the practice currently used for applicants from Balkan countries who are unlikely to be granted asylum.

Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel noted Sunday that this option could be applied more widely.

Germany has said it wants free up resources to help people fleeing war-ravaged countries such as Syria, who made up about 40 percent of the nearly 1.1 [million] people who arrived last year.

Albania, Bosnia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia have all been declared safe countries of origin by Germany, meaning their citizens have very little chance of gaining refugee status.

Berlin plans to add Algeria and Morocco to the list.

The numbers of Algerian asylum seekers arriving in Germany rose to 2,296 in December from 847 in June, while those from Morocco jumped to 2,896 from 368, the interior ministry said.

"A good case can be made for placing migrants from the North African region without a chance of staying (in Germany) in repatriation centres," an official from Seehofer's Christian Social Union, Thomas Kreuzer, told Welt am Sonntag.

Seehofer is the most vocal critic of Merkel's liberal refugee policy within her conservative bloc and has pressed for her to set an upper limit on the number of asylum seekers entering Germany.

Merkel has rebuffed these calls, dismissing them as impractical and unconstitutional.

About 50 kilometres (30 miles) from Cologne in Düsseldorf, police said they had detained 40 men from North Africa, nearly all on suspicion of being in Germany illegally, following raids Saturday in the so-called Maghreb Quarter notorious for pickpocket and drug gangs.

So that's the new number being thrown around I guess: 40% of the 1.1 million are from "war-ravaged" countries. I guess that would make the estimate 660k of them economic migrants?

Chancellor Angela Merkel’s transport minister has urged her to prepare to close Germany’s borders to keep out refugees, arguing that Berlin must act alone if it cannot reach a Europe-wide deal.

Alexander Dobrindt said Germany could no longer show the world a “friendly face” – a phrase used by Merkel as refugees began arriving in Germany six months ago – and that if the number of new arrivals did not drop soon, Germany should act alone.

Merkel has vowed to “measurably reduce” arrivals in 2016, but has refused to introduce a cap, saying it would be impossible to enforce without closing German borders.

Instead, she has tried to convince other European countries to take in quotas of refugees, pushed for reception centres to be built on Europe’s external borders, and led an EU campaign to convince Turkey to keep refugees from entering the bloc. But progress has been slow.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/19/germany-must-soon-close-borders-to-refugees-transport-minister-tells-merkel

The Austrian government temporarily suspended the Schengen agreement, imposing full border control measures on everyone entering the country, Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann told the newspaper Oesterreich in an interview.

Austria plans to use its army to stop refugees from entering the country. Most refugees are trying to reach Germany and apply for asylum there, but to get to Germany they need to hike across Austria.

Earlier this week, other Schengen countries, including Norway, Sweden and Denmark, also temporarily suspended the Schengen agreement and restored border control measures at their national borders.

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/28704/53/

The Schengen agreement is just about dead in all but name. It seems like a decent number of EU countries are no longer following it, and instead imposing their own border controls to try and stem the flow of migrants.

On a personal level, I'm sad to see this happen, I always appreciated that the EU was very open and easy to travel in. Unfortunately this crisis is going to change Europe substantially and the Schengen agreement is just the beginning.

• 3 months later...

source - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36124256

Not the most influential position but I think it's pretty telling if this is the first time in 50+ years that Austria has seen a shift away from it's two main parties and specifically towards the "far right". The immigration situation is cited as a reason. How many other EU governments will start to swing "far right" in the coming years?

The shift is happening very quickly in Scandinavian countries. I've heard the push towards the far right is getting pretty serious, and the polling results are starting to bear that out.

The real issue will be in Germany, which seems to be dead set on keeping open borders and allowing more immigrants in. I know Merkel seems to have unassailable popularity, but between the migrant population rising quickly, and the crimes associated with that we might see some of her party's strength eroded.

I wonder what will eventually bring this situation to a breaking point; if it will be sudden and brought on by terrorist attacks/riots or if it will be slow and creeping with steadily rising crime rates and the government losing control.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Merkel is probably going to get the boot unless she can pull out several miracles between now and the elections in a year.

The poll conducted by INSA for Cicero magazine asked people if they thought Merkel should run for a fourth term and 64 percent responded that she should not.

http://www.thelocal.de/20160510/major-political-parties-have-never-been-so-unpopular-poll

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36650014

It's great to hear all the grumbling and boos from the crowd when Nígel Farage speaks to the EU now. He used to just be a slightly annoying jackass, braying about independence and sovereignty but now they look at him and can't stand his condescending tone.

I'm enjoying the absolute madness going on for both sides. The UK is bewildered they actually voted to leave, and can't figure out where to go and what to do. Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are all considering some means of backing out of the referendum results, or somehow leaving the UK and joining the EU. The English parliament looks like it's going to get completely replaced, across multiple parties, entire sections have already resigned or are campaigning for the resignation of crucial members. And the EU itself is going to be torn between booting England out and making an example of them or actually trying to salvage this particular mess and trying to avoid another economic recession.

It's going to be a wild ride for everyone over the next few months.

• 3 weeks later...

source - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36827725

A teenage Afghan refugee armed with an axe and knife injured four people on a train in southern Germany before being shot dead by police, officials say.

Three people were seriously hurt and one suffered minor injuries in the attack in Wurzburg, police said. Another 14 were treated for shock.

Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann said the attacker was killed as he tried to flee the scene.

The motive for the attack is not yet clear.

The injured include members of a family from Hong Kong, authorities there said, although their exact condition was not revealed.

Mr Herrmann said the attacker was a 17-year-old Afghan refugee who had been living in the nearby town of Ochsenfurt.

He told public broadcaster ARD that the teenager appeared to have travelled to Germany as an unaccompanied minor.

Mr Herrmann said authorities were looking into reports that the attacker had yelled out "an exclamation". Some witnesses quoted by German media said they had heard him shout "Allahu akbar" ("God is great") during the attack.

I have relatives in that city :unsure:

I'm not trying to make baseless inflammatory remarks, but I always have certain questions regarding these attacks.

From what I've read the machete attack was motivated by a workplace dispute (rejected by a girl) and has no terrorist implications. The individual was known to police and had been violent previously, which makes me question why he was still allowed to stay in the country.

The suicide bomber is much closer to what I would consider terrorist act since he was attempting to enter an area with large crowds (sports arena) and presumably do damage to as many people as possible. The suicide bomber had his asylum request rejected, which of course makes me question why he wasn't immediately deported.

The other questions I always have is when I hear that the people who committed the attack are from Syria, I always wonder if there was any paperwork to back that up or if they just claimed that was their country of origin in an attempt to receive asylum.

I'm not sure if any policies will change in the near term, but I do expect even more support for right wing anti-immigrant politicians and policies. I also expect that Merkel is going to have a rough time in the next election. It's very hard not to draw direct lines between the current refugee policies and multiple violent attacks being perpetrated by refugees.

I also do wonder just how much the media coverage of these acts is prompting other people to commit violent acts.

Merkel is not going to back down on the current refugee policy:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36912141

I understand that politically it would look like cowardice/failure if she backed down now. On the other hand it sounds like even if the refugees are peaceful and thankful for the assistance, they are not integrating into the German culture. While that is somewhat expected, what's really worrisome is that it sounds like Germans are being pressured into changing their habits to accommodate the refugees. I find that not only disgusting but also incredibly scary, it starts the German citizens down a slippery slope which I'm not sure they're prepared to deal with.

• 5 months later...

Remembering what happened last year....

source - http://www.dw.com/en/cologne-police-defend-use-of-racial-profiling-on-new-years-eve/a-36969904

Police in the German city of Cologne defended the use of racial profiling during New Year's Eve celebrations on Sunday. Speaking to the press, Police Chief Jürgen Mathies admitted that yes, officers had specifically targeted men who appeared to be of North African extraction to undergo police checks, but said that "for the vast majority, there was a clear threat of criminal activity present."

It doesn't look good from the outside but I think a lot of people understand because of what happened last year.

• 5 months later...

source - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40437917

Italy has threatened to stop vessels of other countries from bringing migrants to its ports.

The warning came as Italy's EU representative, Maurizio Massari, warned in a letter to the bloc the situation had become "unsustainable".

Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni has accused other European nations of "looking the other way".

An estimated 10,000 people are believed to have attempted the journey from North Africa in the past four days.

More than 73,000 migrants have landed in Italy this year, an increase of 14% on the same period last year.

The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea dictates that any ship learning of distress at sea must assist regardless of circumstances, and that the country responsible for operations in that area has primary responsibility for taking them from the ship.

73,000 in 6 months in Italy. Yeah, "unsustainable" sounds like the right word.

source - http://www.france24.com/en/20170703-austria-ready-deploy-army-italy-border

VIENNA (AFP) - Austria will "very soon" impose border checks and deploy soldiers on its frontier with Italy if the influx of migrants across the Mediterranean does not slow, Vienna's defence minister was quoted as saying Monday.

The comments from the centre-left Doskozil come ahead of early elections in Austria in October when the anti-immigration far-right is forecast to do well and potentially emerge as the biggest party.

article - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sweden-immigration-crackdown-idUSKBN19Y0G8?il=0

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden has intensified its crackdown on illegal immigrants after a failed asylum-seeker killed five people in Stockholm, but the move has raised concerns that more migrants will be driven underground to join a shadowy underclass.

In the past months, police have staged wider sweeps on workplaces to check papers, netting undocumented workers, sending a warning to employers and sparking heated debate in a nation that has been traditionally tolerant to migrants.

In May, police carried out their biggest raid so far when dozens of officers swooped on a constructions site in Stockholm. Nine were caught and sent to detention centers, while another 40 escaped by scrambling onto scaffolding and across roof tops.

While cheap migrant labor is welcomed by some small businesses, government officials and economists worry that the shadow economy undercuts Sweden's economic model, whose generous welfare provisions and high wages are built on high rates of productivity and one of the world's heaviest tax regimes.

[quite a bit more at source]

Welcome to the fucking show.