Sign in to follow this  
kuhla

Battletech game by Harebrained Schemes

9 minutes ago, Malaphax said:

I guess there's a new Nvidia driver released today which mentions Battletech, so I'll give that a shot this evening and see if that helps a bit. 

True enough: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/133648/en-us

Release notes direct: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/397.31/397.31-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf

EDIT: Word "battletech" cannot be found in release notes but it is on the download page <_<

I've made some decent progress on the game but I've started to run into some issues. 

• Difficulty is all over the place.  Sometimes the 3.5 star mission is a joke and other times you're up against: Awesome, Stalker, Wolverine, Quickdraw and +4 light/mediums that were supposed to be reinforcements that spawned at the start of the mission.  Also if you restart the mission completely it rolls enemies on a random basis, so sometimes instead of all that you're up against 4 tanks and a jenner instead. 
  • Story missions are solid, but you do need to do some grinding in between them. 
  • The game flat out tells you to field the biggest/heaviest lance you can, and you pretty much shouldn't ever have something less than a medium on the field unless you want to try something weird like a dedicated backstabber/melee build. 
  • Some mechs are just garbage, regardless of how much you customize them.  This is fairly accurate in the lore, but it sucks getting a mech that's just flat out worse than other comparible mechs. 
  • The argo and merc management portion feesl pretty basic.  Comparing this to something like xcom, I'd say the argo elements are much simpler, but considering the detailed levels of customization for pilots/mechs being more complex I guess it's just a different focus. 

Overall I'm having a very fun time with the game, but there are certainly some frustrating elements to it.  I've also heard that an issue with Unity games is that as your save files grow in number the games slow down, it's recommended you clear out older saves or move them into a different directory to fix the game bogging down. 

I think the scariest thing in the game so far has been the SRM carriers - here's a nice example of why. 

I used this file to speed up the game.  It doubles all move speed of mechs and cuts all the delays in weapon firing/knockdown etc. 

I'd argue this is a little bit on the fast side, but it's better than the original game speed.  I'll stream a session sometime this week to show give a decent comparison to kuhla's recent gameplay. 

Flashpoint released yesterday.  It added 3 new mechs (Crab, Hatchetman, Cyclops) and new mission types.  There are now missions that reward lostech gear.  They also did a full rebalance on pilot abilities. 
I'm not particularly interested in getting the DLC, seems a bit light on content to me.  I'm still happy I played through the base game, but they'd need to make some bigger changes to get me to come back.