Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

kuhla

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

And the shitshow begins...

So I can generally live with lootbox systems in Overwatch because they're cosmetics only (they're also increasing credits and decreasing duplicates in a future patch).  Unfortunately EA is going full retard with their loot box system and tying it to gameplay stats.  I'm sure plenty of people will bitch and moan about this, but in the end I fully expect this to make it into the game.  I already have had severe issues with the progression systems in battlefield/battlefront and this is looking even more ugly and obnoxious. 

I expect this form of "soft gambling" to become more and more egregious until the fans get super pissed (which has happened before) or some legislation gets passed to stop the more predatory practices aimed at minors. 

1 hour ago, Malaphax said:

Plenty of details being leaked from the ongoing alpha test.

http://wccftech.com/star-wars-battlefront-ii-alpha-live-leak/

Looking at the maps....

1. Fonder
  2. Hoth
  3. Naboo
  4. Yavin4
  5. Endor
  6. Sullust
  7. Tatooine
  8. Takodana

.....4 of those are recycled from the last game.... so they just added 4 more?...... most of the same weapons.... same pickups ..... this is basically looking like a fancy DLC for the last Battlefront game we got.

Fuck that. Screw this game.

On the one hand I want to agree with you about the DLC comment, on the other hand I want to point out the massive similarities between other battlefield games.  Battlefield 4 released full priced DLC with 4 maps from battlefield 3.  I've also heard that they've "reworked" several maps like Hoth and that it "looks nothing like battlefront 1's hoth map."  I'm not sure how much I believe that, I'd need to see the maps in action before I throw them completely under the bus for recycling content. 

I think battlefront 1 was totally rushed and had no business releasing in the state that it did.  I think that battlefront 2 looks much more like a full game's worth of content, but I also expect the PC population to go through the same rapid decline that battlefront 1 experienced.

I'm still more concerned with their disgusting lootbox system than recycled content.  Either way this is looking more and more like I might just play the beta to get it out of my system and pass on the full game. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I enjoyed the concept of battlefront1.  The execution was terrible, they've since added a ton of content to it, but the segmented the player base so badly that the PC servers are tough to find games on. 

Battlefront 2 looks like they're fixing almost every issue that I had with battlefront 1.  But then they go and fuck it all up with a super disgusting lootbox system that gives players gameplay advantages over one another.  On the one hand I don't want to support that garbage on principal, on the other hand, the game looks amazing.  I also wonder if battlefront's just a less serious game and so these paid advantages aren't as big of a deal... That sounds like some weak excuse though. 

I don't think they'll make a 2142 sequel for quite a while.  Their current plan is to alternate battlefield and battlefront every year.  I think they'll stick to either historical or modern on the battlefield series and push battlefront as the sci-fi one. 
I also could be totally full of shit considering they hinted at 2142 so hard in the last battlefield 4 DLC, maybe they're serious about making it. 

My understanding is that the guns themselves are same stats for everyone.  But the abilities and heroes get upgrades.  These only come from cards.  So if you get a "legendary" card you just got a huge buff over other people.  Also the cards can be destroyed for materials that are used in crafting (hello hearthstone).  This video shows a bit of the card system in action, it was from the closed beta a while back, some things may have slightly changed.  I think the obvious one was a shield increasing in duration, and the legendary also applied like a 2% damage reduction to the class.  I know 2% is probably a joke, but it rubs me the wrong way that someone might survive an extra shot or grenade because of it. 

Again, purely on principle I find that completely disgusting.  From a gameplay standpoint, I'm not sure if I would ever take battlefront seriously enough for it to impact my enjoyment playing the game.  This game doesn't really have a competitive mode and I don't know how bad it will be if everyone is running around in full legendary cards stomping people or if it's just going to be unnoticeable advantages. 

I played a little bit of the beta this weekend and streamed some of it. 

Overall the graphics are fantastic and the gameplay is fairly good, I personally really enjoyed the starfighter map. 

Unfortunately every other component around the game is complete garbage. 

• The squad system doesn't allow any respawn on allies, it's basically just a voice lobby that tries to keep your friends on the same server. 
  • The progression system is flat out broken, even if you complete a challenge for the heavy class there's a strong likelihood you'll receive semi-random content from those lootboxes. 
  • The lootboxes are the most egregious and disgusting implementation I've seen.  The crafting/credit side of loot boxes looks even more uneven than hearthstone/overwatch, someone estimated it would take 17 hours of gameplay to craft a weapon.
  • This game is designed and balanced like a Free to Play korean shooter.  They throw +4 damage and -20% weapon heat in random cards which give you a distinct advantage over other players. 
  • Even if they somehow managed to fix the progression and lootbox system, I feel like this game will struggle to maintain a playerbase - especially on PC

I'm curious about the single player storyline and where they go with it, but I have no intentions of buying or playing the game in it's current state. 

• 2 weeks later...