Sign in to follow this  
Malaphax

Overwatch

Basic Info about the game:

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/?-&promo=false

Some news came out of Blizzcon. Currently you can pre-purchase the game for either $40 (basic) or $60 which includes 5 character skins in Overwatch and several small bonuses in other Blizzard games. Neither of these currently provide beta access. The launch date is on or before 6/31/16.

Some people are freaking out because the Blizzard devs very carefully worded that both of these packages will come with all maps and 21 heroes released so far. People are concerned that Blizzard is going to also charge for additional heroes/maps either with in game or cash shop purchases, possibly even a DLC setup.

I personally understand this concern and while I might have been tempted to put up the cash if this included beta access, I'm not buying this until I hear more details on the pricing model and what they plan on doing for future content/monetization.

Some new hero videos were posted, these heroes are not currently in the beta, but should be released soon.

I wanted to update this thread with some specific news regarding the monetization system for Overwatch.

Blizzard Devs have stated they have no current plans for additional heroes (especially not at launch). They believe that people should have access to all heroes because hero switching is a crucial aspect of the game. While they haven't mentioned much about cash shop items, I fully expect skins to be their primary concern, they've already announced a few which come with the $60 origins edition and if you pre-purchase the game.

They also mentioned maps and modes, they don't seem to have any plans for charging for additional maps or modes either. It appears like Blizzard is planning on launching the game with a $40 price point and seeing what the community wants and adding it later. They have no firm plans on how they will monetize this (cash shop or DLC/Expansions).

They updated the beta Yesterday with the 3 new heroes and added a new map as well.

Here's an interview with the developers where they clearly state they have no plans on adding a hero shop at launch:

I played the game a decent amount this weekend with some friends, we often had 4-6 people in the group. Some of my initial thoughts.

This obviously plays and feels like a better version of TF2, but it's the little things that make the difference. One example would be how some characters have different mixes of health armor and shields. All of those take damage slightly differently and react to healing differently as well. You also have characters with unique passive abilities like Zarya's "power" mechanic where the more damage her shields absorb the more damage she puts out. Personally I thought the base TF2 release was pretty solid and some of their alternative weapons were good but others felt out of place especially some of the later releases (melee weapons for demoman etc) it felt shoehorned in and completely disjointed. Overwatch manages to avoid all this by having unique heroes and all the heroes currently feel drastically different from one another.

I tried almost every hero and had some decent luck with a few and completely sucked with several. I have a feeling this game will be very similar to league of legends, where I won't have much inclination to play it solo, but with friends it can be a blast. Blizzard is also looking to fix/rework at least 2 heroes (Bastion and Torbjorn) so I have a feeling some things will change between now and then.

I've seen a few people posting that they believe the tickrate of this game is around 20, which I can believe. There are also small issues with fast movement abilities and being shot after taking cover. Currently dashes from Tracer or Genji only register your change in position once your character has completed the entire dash. That may not seem like much but it does mean you get weird deaths after dashing through/past someone where the killcam clearly shows you standing there like an idiot when you were dashing on your screen.

The UI isn't that great, and the white cursor bothers me to no end, I sincerely hope they allow you to color shift the cursor and fix up the UI, because I had several instances of running around at nearly zero health without realizing it, or losing track of my cursor.

The play of the game mechanic is pretty neat, and the voting after the game is sort of interesting, it's cool to see people feeling rewarded for their contributions and I think it's a subtle incentive to keep people feeling positive. I have a feeling this game will be fairly successful for Blizzard, and it should pull in a decent number of people at the $40 price point. I also expect that 3-4 months after release they'll start announcing/releasing a few new heroes. I have no idea how they'll monetize that, but I do expect it, especially since it feels like they could bump the hero count to around 30 without it getting out of hand.

I plan on prepurchasing this game at a later date, possibly once the release date is firmly set.

Overwatch launches May 24

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/20055970/

There will be an open beta from May 5-9. If you pre-purchase you can get in a few days early from May 3rd.

Having played the game I probably will pre-purchase, but it's nice to see Blizzard is giving people who may not be sold on it a chance to try it out before launch.

Blizzard is going to be hitting their marketing with some animated shorts as well as some comics.

I would comment about how they're continuing to rip off TF2 at this point, but frankly they're doing such a marvelous job of it that I'm hoping they keep it up.

Open beta this evening through this weekend (starting this Wednesday for people who did no pre-purchase).

I'll be playing this a little bit this week/weekend. Let me know if you guys want to group up for some matches, when I played with some friends last beta it was super fun.

WJ3IGVWLQ7FU1462132729473.png

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/20100169/#schedule

Also random video showing off some of the more fun and interesting ability combos you can pull off like hook sniping:

Open beta this evening through this weekend (starting this Wednesday for people who did no pre-purchase).

How does this apply for people who only have a beta code?

I pre-purchased and your beta key is tied to mine, so you will have access this evening.

As a newly added bonus, if you pre-purchase or preorder Overwatch for any platform at www.buyoverwatch.com, you'll also get early access to the Open Beta for you and a friend from May 3–4. After that, everyone will have a chance to play free during an all-access Open Beta period from May 5–9.

Additionally Blizzard posted this video "teaser" today:

I pre-purchased and your beta key is tied to mine, so you will have access this evening.

As a newly added bonus, if you pre-purchase or preorder Overwatch for any platform at www.buyoverwatch.com, you'll also get early access to the Open Beta for you and a friend from May 3–4. After that, everyone will have a chance to play free during an all-access Open Beta period from May 5–9.

Alright. I'll check it out tonight then.

This guys does great videos analyzing netcode of games.

The takeaway is that they have a 60hz send rate, and a 20hz receive rate. The receive rate is a bit low and he comments that it needs to be increased to create a better experience.

Also the voip in this game does actually hide your IP address (unlike most games) it also has a very low latency of 300ms compared to the division with 1500ms.

Unfortunately none of this is going to help me being aimless and bad at this game.

I'm not sure how much you guys got to play this weekend, but the beta ends tomorrow morning at 10am, so it's still up tonight.

I really enjoyed playing, and the game is super fun when you have a group. I'm guessing most of us are going to end up getting this?

I would play medic Mercy more, but only 1 game did I have a team that backed me up and killed everything. I also like the concept of zarya, but I'm complete shit with her. Honestly I've seen some really good players doing stuff I never even thought of, I think there are quite a few heroes that have some decent depth in their gameplay.

http://giant.gfycat.com/VengefulOddballBird.webm

champs I feel somewhat comfortable playing:

• bastion
  • roadhoag
  • dva
  • reinhardt
  • lucio
  • pharah
  • troll torbjorn

champs I don't feel comfortable playing (but tried):

• mercy
  • reaper
  • eastwood mccree
  • ninja dickface genji

champs I need to try, play more, not sure:

• robin hood hanzo
  • widomaker
  • winston
  • zenyatta
  • zarya
  • tracer
  • symettra
  • soldier 76
  • mei
  • demoman junkrat

champs I enjoyed playing:

• tracer
  • roadhoag
  • widomaker
  • hanzo
  • dva
  • junkrat
  • genji
  • pharah
  • mccree
  • mercy

champs I didn't enjoy playing:

• bastion
  • reaper
  • winston
  • symettra
  • zenyatta
  • torbjorn

champs that I completely suck at:

• zarya
  • lucio
  • mei
  • soldier 76
  • reinhardt

I do find it funny that in the early parts of beta I was seeing bastion everywhere, and towards the end, I was seeing less and less bastion.

I think heroes like Genji and Mei have some of the highest skill ceilings with what they can do. Genji is so satisfying to play when you play him well, but he's absolutely unforgiving if you screw up. Mei is the single most obnoxious hero in the game if played correctly, but I always managed to play like garbage when I was using her. Same thing with Zarya, I like her design and kit, but I just couldn't do shit with her. I guess I should just suck it up and play a bunch of rounds straight with some heroes to get better with them, but I always feel awful when I'm not contributing to the team.

Played it a bit with my EvE group Saturday night/Sunday morning and did very well (hit 15 kill streak and never died =D). Only played about 8-12 matches (hit level 7)

Champs I am best at (I get MVP with both of these):

• Soldier 76 (15 kill streak =D)
  • Pharah (good kill streaks with this too)

Champs I am okay with and enjoyed:

• McCree
  • Dva
  • Bastion
  • Reinhardt (friends were really good with him, but only tried him once)

Champs I don't feel comfortable playing (only tried 1-2 deaths with these):

• Mercy
  • Reaper
  • Winston
  • Lucio
  • Zenyatta

Champs that I completely suck at

• Genji
  • Hanzo (only tried once)
  • Torbjorn (tried like 5 times+ but I still suck but I want to get good with him)
  • Zarya
  • Symettra

Have not tried:

• Tracer
  • Junkrat
  • Mei
  • Widomaker
  • Roadhoag

Bastion. I really find that champ in an interesting position.

If you allow him to deploy in a good spot and your team does not prioritize taking him down, he will have an easy time destroying your entire team. Hence so many play-of-the-game moments. Even if he is solo and has no healer. If there are any gaps in the action he can self-heal (and it works whether deployed or not).

If your team prioritizes taking him down there are plenty of ways to do so.

• Ninja dickface genji is a hard counter solo.
  • Any defender champ that can temporarily stop projectiles + ranged burst damage champ will take him down too such as reinhardt+widomaker or dva+76, both of which I have personally witnessed.
  • I still stand by the statement that pharah can act as a soft counter since you only need to do a little peeking/jumping and firing and four(?) direct hits is a dead bastion.
  • I don't consider him a soft counter but I'm not sure everyone realizes that if he gets hooked by roadhoag while deployed, this kicks him out of deployed mode (in my mind I think "it forces standup"). Even if roadhog doesn't get the kill this forces a full "reset" mid-combat.

If a defensive team does a bastion+reinhardt combo I think that is more difficult to deal with except for the fact that it mostly makes 2 champs stationary, not moving around on the map which is kind of a big deal on its own. Same story with a bastion+mercy combo.

The saltiness of some players is delicious and I think in lower levels he will continue to dominate and have people whine about him being OP. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets nerfed a bit but I think that would be a mistake. I feel he should stay as-is.

1. He has no movement abilities.
  2. His attacks have no splash damage.
  3. His non-deployed damage is average at best.
  4. His hit-box when non-deployed is on the larger side.
  5. I don't find his ultimate that great (it's not bad just a lot of other ultimate are more useful).

I'm going to keep playing him on defense. Until he gets nerfed I shall drink the tears of the losers.

Bastion has 200hp and 100armor, which means it actually takes 3 direct hits from pharah to kill him, however most of the time it's hard to get direct hits on bastion without getting shot out of the sky. Junkrat has the ability to lob grenades at him, but there are very few positions where he can do that completely unhindered. Reaper/tracer can sometimes setup nasty flanks which can take him out relatively easily. I think snipers can outplay him, but it's a bit tough to do, it's arguably easier to out snipe a bastion with hanzo than windowmaker, because hanzo can peak corners more effectively and even pull off a decent scattershot for higher damage.

As far as his ult, I've started seeing more people use it effectively, you can (and should) rocket jump with it. Because it 1 hit kills most people with direct shots, and the splash does good damage as well, it's best to try and get some height when you enter tank mode. If you can rocket jump over an obstacle (he can clear the payload with his rocket jump for example) you can setup some vertical advantage and kill off a few people before moving and setting up again.

I firmly believe he's actually better on offense riding the cart with a reinhart than he is on defense, if you provide him some slow mobility on the cart, which makes him much more dangerous because he's not as easily flanked/sniped and the passive heal can save him from having to repair.

I think the hardest counter to him is D.Va, because the projectile absorption can be comboed with her boost, so she can close distance while taking no damage and even knock him around.

The game seems decently balanced, there are only a few heroes I feel need changing, like Zenyatta and Zarya. Zenyatta needs buffs, and Zarya needs a small change by increasing her base damage slightly and giving the particle beam some width.

Overall I'm looking forward to the launch. It was super fun to get in a big group and play with you guys, we haven't done that in a while.

......however most of the time it's hard to get direct hits on bastion without getting shot out of the sky.

Absolutely do not jump into the sky. That's a death sentence. As my play of the game from last night highlighted, pharah in the sky + me as deployed bastion = pharah dies. You want to peek corners on the ground. One of the pharahs last night was doing that for a while (before jumping into the air to ultimate) and it caused me a lot of headache. She exposes herself for a fraction of a second and fires a rocket that I can't stop that is guaranteed to hit (provided they aimed) and if I decide to repair, I'm going to miss the next rocket and then I'm at a point where 1-2 more rockets will kill me.

If we are having trouble with a bastion, lately, I have been switching to pharah and employing this strategy and it's mostly worked for me.

I think the hardest counter to him is D.Va, because the projectile absorption can be comboed with her boost, so she can close distance while taking no damage and even knock him around.

You sure that combos and doesn't cancel?

Yes I am sure it combos. The only thing you cannot combo with D.Va is auto-attacking, such as: shooting while boosting, shooting while absorbing. She can also trigger boosters and then ultimate and it will continue to boost forwards. Here is an example.

Yes I am sure it combos. The only thing you cannot combo with D.Va is auto-attacking, such as: shooting while boosting, shooting while absorbing. She can also trigger boosters and then ultimate and it will continue to boost forwards.

Oh yeah I've done that ultimate combo many times. I'm sure that's intended usage too.

One thing I didn't understand was how quickly she seems to get another mech after ulting. For me it's usually been almost instantly. Is the re-charge kill or damage based?