Tactically Inept

The Division

Malaphax

Alright. So now that most of us have played the weekend beta and experienced some of the game I wanted to gauge interest and dump a bit of info in a centralized thread.

My thoughts:

There are a grand total of 2 multiplayer focused games that are coming out in the "near" future that I have an interest in. This happens to be one of them, the other is Overwatch. While I'm not personally looking for another mmo replacement, I do think this game looks like it has enough content to justify the purchase and find some enjoyment with the group playing co-op.

I think the gunplay is decent, the cover system is pretty fluid and the enemies only get bullet sponge-y when you play on hard mode. Otherwise in the open world and side missions enemies that were around my level dropped pretty quickly. The pvp aspect of the game is interesting, there's a bit of jackass stuff that goes on which I find mildly funny but overall I was more impressed with the pve content. I'm interested in see what the entire skill tree looks like, and what content there will be at max level. The convenience this game offers is fantastic. Fast traveling to squadmates, seperate stats and wardrobe, etc.

There's a voucher on green man gaming for 30% off on the divison: 30PERC-JANUAR-SAVING

I'll most likely buy it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Two free updates shortly after launch in April and May will provide some higher level content and loot trading as well as another PvP area.

There is also a season pass available (I will wait on this) which includes all this year's paid content. The first paid expansion is slated for June so it looks like they'll hammer out bugs and the free content first, which is quite reasonable.

http://blog.ubi.com/the-division-post-launch-plans-and-dlc-revealed/

9pm PST.

Most games nowadays release 9pm PST on Mondays because of how games are released to retailers on Tuesdays and since they often go by the earliest timezone (midnight EST). I also bet there's some way of using a VPN/proxy to unlock it earlier if you look hard enough, but I don't care quite that much. I have no idea if I'll play tonight but I've already pre-loaded the game so if I want to I should be good to go.

I'm going to flat out say that I'm not planning to play tonight. Probably tomorrow. I have multiple games and media that I'm playing/watching right now and I don't feel like dealing with day 1 servers in Division which I bet will be unstable, laggy, <pick something bad>.

Super in depth guide from Nvidia released for the divison. This is similar to the witcher 3 guide they released which goes over just about every graphical option and gives rough estimates on performance impacts.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/tom-clancys-the-division-graphics-and-performance-guide

Also there were some funny elements that happened on launch night, the tutorial area safehouse is not instanced and only 1 person can use the console at a time (I didn't have this issue) so people started forming a queue:

2sctYzQ.jpg

Also a cool little video that shows the dynamic lighting in action.

http://zippy.gfycat.com/SimpleWebbedCooter.webm

got to lvl 6.

i thought the launch were ok.

had a 45-1 hr downtime. uplay server took a big shit.

few bugs but i think related to the downtime.

latest nvidia bricks my system. had to system restore cause i couldn't get back to windows.

something with multiple monitor.

I played with Ben last night and got to around level 6 as well. I did 2 missions, the hospital mission from the beta and the first security mission. The first few missions you get seem to be in a very specific level order.

So far it looks like they've toned down the early weapons/equipment, I was getting only gray trash gear in the tutorial and first mission and now I'm starting to see greens. I saw a few people posting about being level 30 (took one guy roughly 15 hours) and he was decked out in purple and only had one orange drop.

Some tips I've heard is that you should disassemble your old gear rather than sell it, the money you get from selling is minimal but the parts you get from disassembly can be upgraded at 5:1 - so 5 tier 1 parts turn into 1 tier 2 part.

I'm not going to worry too much about gear early on because I have a feeling it will be nearly pointless. I'm more concerned with having fun with some coop play and the general feeling of the game.

I'll probably spend some time tonight tweaking settings and going over some things mentioned in the Nvidia article.

I hit 30 this weekend. I need to finish the final mission(s) and clear out some of my map, but then I'll be on the lookout for better equipment.

I have no idea what I want to build towards or play. I feel like there are some really boring abilities in this game (smart cover) but I'm not sure if I want to do something silly like the riot shield or play more basic.

I've heard that stacking crowd control is the best way to accomplish higher level pve content, but I'm not sure if that's something you would do with shock/flame turrets or something else.

I haven't even been in the dark zone yet, but I might now that I'm at least 30.

I feel like this game is super satisfying when you have level appropriate equipment and feels like complete garbage when you don't. I've had to dump full 100 round boxes into enemies, and that feels like crap. On the flipside when you just waste enemies with a quick burst it feels really good. Also sticky-bombing an entire pack of mobs is so awesome.

I'm very satisfied with the game so far, even if I stopped playing tomorrow, it's been a pretty fun experience. The main missions are fun and have decent maps and the overall open world feels really solid. The open world side missions on the other hand are pretty blatant mmo style copy paste quests, I've only done them to clear my map and unlock stuff. I need to do like 2 more side missions for the last medical wing unlock and then I don't really give a shit anymore.

So The Division has sold very well clearing $330M in the first week. This is exceptionally good for a new IP.

http://blog.ubi.com/the-division-has-biggest-first-week-ever-for-new-game-franchise/

I've seen multiple postings on reddit as far as what to do when you reach 30, how to get better gear and general steps on suggested weapons and builds.

From what I've gathered most people suggest doing the last mission on hard mode 2-3 times because it has a guaranteed 8 purple drops, which should provide you full purple gear.

Doing dailies at 30 also provide phoenix credits used for high end recipes. I've been doing my dailies (normally 2 hard mode missions and 1 challenging) and saving up for arguably the best gun in the game: Vector-45. Some alternatives would be the black market AK, the Caudecus (random drop) and the Liberator. The LMG's currently look very sub par and most people don't seem to be using them.

They also recommend getting the gold extended magazine blueprint which can have up to +102% magazine capacity as well as other stats.

There was a random level 30 purple M1A sniper rifle on sale yesterday/today which actually out damages the gold sniper rifle available, I did pick that up and I will probably use it.

Keep in mind this game uses substantially random rolls on almost every piece of gear. Some people have mentioned crafting the same weapon 5-10times just to get the stat combination they're looking for. You can also recalibrate (re-roll) individual stats on a gold weapon for phoenix credits and on any purple or below for cash. Each successive stat re-roll seems to cost more money, so this is best only if an item is "nearly perfect."

The general recommendation is that you have at least 60k DPS before you consider doing challenge mode. When you complete a challenge mode mission you are guaranteed a gold drop.

Some notable talents people seem to be using are: One is none (headshots have 50% chance to not consume ammo), Combat Medic (40% increased self heal), and Battle Buddy (50% damage reduction for both you and the person you revive for 10 seconds).

Almost all skills have something worthwhile, the medic box with revive or ammo is great. Stickybomb with flashbang attachment is very good for pve, and smartcover or pulse is great all around. The few skills I don't see much of are ballistic shield and mobile cover. Most players seem to suggest carrying at least 1 utility skill when running pve, and that crowd control can help immensely in challenge mode.

Here are a couple of the guides I've looked at to get a general sense of what to do:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4alr36/lithiyums_ultimate_gearing_and_build_guide/

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4akmyi/the_best_talents_for_your_builds_healer_solo/

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4ah946/i_keep_seeing_the_same_questions_over_and_over/

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4ac64i/guide_how_to_obtain_high_end_gear_quickly_and/

got all my wings @ 100% last night.

i enjoyed the grinding for items and core gameplay are good but i thought the encounters and mini missions are wayyyyyyy to repetitive.

its pretty bad, i had to do literally the same shit 3x. go underground turn off valve and blast some enemy. same layout same enemy... i mean cmon.

• 2 weeks later...

1. I'm level 30.
  2. I have full wings, 100%.
  3. I have some "x% health on kill" purple gear that I have been using because that stat sounds nice but I cannot say I have look carefully to see it in-action. Any ideas on this? If it's any good?
  4. So SMG master race with the crit chance? I need 100 something phoenix creds to craft the uber vektor?
  5. How much build flexibility is there or is the min max linked above pretty much what everyone is running? Anything particular the team really needs?
  6. What are you guys using for secondary weapons?

As far as gear is concerned the short term solution is to find an activity (running hard mode dailies and/or general assembly) that will outfit you with 100% purple gear, I'm still running almost all purple gear and I have 3 gold weapons (damascus pistol, black market ak74, vector smg)

As far as flexibility and the almighty vector it's really a preference thing. Most people run a vector because it's easy and good, SMGs are basically busted because of the additional crit chance (unique property to all SMGs), but that being said I've seen plenty of people running the black market ak74 and other equipment. Marksman rifles are good, but you should probably look for an M1A with very high stability. I've heard the best "combo" is to run a vector an an M1A. I strongly suggest you don't let that dictate your entire playstyle. I also strongly suggest you don't get caught up too much in creating the absolute best variant of a weapon because it's quickly becomes cost prohibitive and they will invariably patch things in and change things around. For example, I'm currently waiting to see if they patch LMGs because I prefer their playstyle, I don't really want to buy the Pakhan, but I'd be interested in crafting a high end m249 or m60.

As far as utility skills I've seen just about everything besides mobile cover and the riot shield. I do see a tendency for people to run the security wing signature skill (50% damage resist and movement speed) because I guess it provides more effective health than the medical one.

I'm currently running the following: Vector with high end extended mag (I recommend purchasing this second it's roughly 85 phoenix credits). Black market ak74 (almost same damage as vector but better range) and the damascus pistol (free recipe for completing the last mission, totally unnecessary to craft, I might actually recommend skipping it and hoarding the crafting materials).

The community is starting to quickly exploit various missions, I have a feeling this will get patched soon, but considering the very large range of RNG found on gear/weapons I'm not sure how the devs want to address this issue. Loot right now feels crappy, and they need to fix it.

Lincoln tunnel loot cave: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4c9b6y/lincoln_tunnel_the_second_loot_cave_better_than_rc/

Russian Consulate loot cave: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4c5v3z/new_loot_cave_found_russian_consulate/

I'm totally down to run either of these, I have no qualms with abusing stupid shit and various exploits, but I understand if you guys don't find this fun or aren't interested.

Side note: I still like this game but my opinions have cooled off a bit due to certain issues with the heavy RNG and completely ridiculous bullet sponge enemies in challenge mode. I have 110k DPS & 50k HP, shotgun rushers will 2 shot me in challenge mode I can't do more than 1-1.5 bars of armor in damage to them by dumping a full magazine from my vector. This means I either have to chain cc them (not always easy to do) or try and play way back. I'd actually prefer if the enemies had slightly less hp and they just threw more enemies at you. I don't mind things like snipers because it forces you to play cautiously, but shotgun rushers don't force you to do much of anything besides pray that you team can focus fire them down faster than they can kill everyone. This is only compounded by the fact that gear at level 30 can vary so wildly.

The community is starting to quickly exploit various missions, I have a feeling this will get patched soon, but considering the very large range of RNG found on gear/weapons I'm not sure how the devs want to address this issue. Loot right now feels crappy, and they need to fix it.

Lincoln tunnel loot cave: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4c9b6y/lincoln_tunnel_the_second_loot_cave_better_than_rc/

Russian Consulate loot cave: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4c5v3z/new_loot_cave_found_russian_consulate/

I'm totally down to run either of these, I have no qualms with abusing stupid shit and various exploits, but I understand if you guys don't find this fun or aren't interested.

I would be interested in doing some runs of both.

Side note: I still like this game but my opinions have cooled off a bit due to certain issues with the heavy RNG and completely ridiculous bullet sponge enemies in challenge mode. I have 110k DPS & 50k HP, shotgun rushers will 2 shot me in challenge mode I can't do more than 1-1.5 bars of armor in damage to them by dumping a full magazine from my vector. This means I either have to chain cc them (not always easy to do) or try and play way back. I'd actually prefer if the enemies had slightly less hp and they just threw more enemies at you. I don't mind things like snipers because it forces you to play cautiously, but shotgun rushers don't force you to do much of anything besides pray that you team can focus fire them down faster than they can kill everyone. This is only compounded by the fact that gear at level 30 can vary so wildly.

The way I see it is I'll spend more dedicated time on this game until I...

1) ...."get to" level 31 (saw people talking about this, it matters for some blueprint stuff apparently).....

2) .... get some better weapons (read: vektor)...

....but it's likely that I will devolve to the occasional dailies after that. I still have a backlog to work through and I'm still actively playing Witcher 3. Just not enough time. Other games coming down the pipe.....

There are 3 major breakpoints in the game once you hit level 30. DZ ranks 30 and 50 come with certain weapon diagrams which are some of the best, but they're locked behind a huge grind and a huge material sink.

The other major break point would be "proper" gear. I know that I would increase my stats dramatically if I outfitted myself in all HE (gold) gear. Right now I feel like my survivability is really poor and my damage is barely enough to do challenge mode missions. I know that better gear makes all of these things easier, but there's no real clear path to better gear without smashing your face against a wall of numbers in the vain hopes that you complete a mission and get blessed by RNGesus and make progress.

I'm hoping their new content that comes out in April fixes some of the issues and helps cut down a bit on the grind, but until then I imagine that they'll be playing wack-a-mole with the various exploits people find to farm gear.

my primary weapon depending on the gloves.

i have 2 one extra damage for rifle or smg.

vector and liberator.

vector do 110k

liberator do 134k

but close combat i like the vector better cause they do more dmg.