Jump to content
 
Sign in to follow this  
T1no

Weekend Fun

Recommended Posts

I was just wondering how many of you are interested going for a weekend 3-4 days weekend. get some kind of cabin in big bear or somewhere overthere. obviously + snowboarding, ski, hike adventures, sled or somesort. while we get this snow.

 

shooting for end of feb 26-28 or 25-28

Bigbear area

 

board/ski rent from sportchalet

maybe class for board or ski

 

me

kat

kuhla

malaphax

richard + wife

 

come ?

 

ben

 

 

Stuff to Bring

 

Food for 3 days

Clothes for 3 days

Blanket for sleeping // towel for shower

if you plan to ski or snowboard

SNOW jackets // pants

thick socks

gloves

Camera

Cash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm curious.

 

How do we know when is best time to go?

 

How does cabin work?

 

This would be a new experience for me.

 

I want to try snowboarding again. The last time I tried it I was not even remotely close to my current level of fitness so I bet it would be different. Still a wet behind ears beginner though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

umm well ok i realized that we need to submit a time off form ~ 2 weeks in advance standard practice. the sooner the better obviously.

cabins are mostly for rent. if you search on google there is a lot in bigbear lake arrowhead area.

air b and b style. etc ....

 

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Big-Bear-Lake--CA?af=8781787&c=p2_d_engus_Big%20Bear%20Lake_p2&gclid=Cj0KEQiAxMG1BRDFmu3P3qjwmeMBEiQAEzSDLmCZ4XEfT91-xTZmHT-y20RSEDuDp1eDzq78SjwCoPwaAviH8P8HAQ&dclid=CPvh3pyG2soCFWsFRQodkKYBNg#

 

best time to go prob would be soon or after the rain/snow come down. fresh powder is better than block of ice. but in terms of driving up might be a little bit of an issue if its snowing. putting on chains is kinda pain in the ass.

 

you need to have snow tire or all wheel drive/fwd with chains.

 

i will ask more details from a friends or my brother and i will put them here.

in terms of cabin and ideal locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a family friend who owns a cabin in Running Springs, which is 30-40 minutes out from big bear. If you let me know ahead of time I can see what the availability of his cabin is. It's 3 bedrooms 2 baths.

That being said, if you guys prefer to rent right next to big bear that's always an option.

 

I'm perfectly willing to go along with you guys and ski, I haven't been in several years so I'll probably be plenty rusty. If we do go I need some decent lead time for vacation requests and also because I'd probably need to buy some gear as well.

 

For Kuhla, I would strongly suggest you look into a beginner class. I've taken both a skiing and snowboarding class before. Generally the lesson is about 2-3 hours and after the first day of lessons for skis you can manage to go down a green square (medium difficulty) run from the top of the mountain. Snowboarding was harder to learn and I spent the majority of the first day on my ass, but after one lesson you can build off of it and practice some basic S turns. Just don't expect to be doing jumps or anything. As goofy as you might feel, you may even consider getting a helmet. Concussions suck.

https://www.snowsummit.com/winter/lessons-rentals/lessons

 

Costco sells Bear Mountain/Snow Summit tickets: http://www.costco.com/Big-Bear-Mountain-Resorts-4-Ski-Lift-Ticket-E-Vouchers,-California.product.100240888.html

 

We would need to rent gear (Sports Challet baby), and would need cars/trucks capable of handling some snow. I would be hesitant to tackle much more than some light snow on the roads with my Subaru, and I don't think I can fit chains on it because it's lowered. You also need a way to transport skis/snowboards which take up quite a bit of room.

Right now it looks like you don't need chains, but unless the forecast is perfectly clear this could change at any minute.

http://www.bigbearlake.net/road-conditions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

umm well ok i realized that we need to submit a time off form ~ 2 weeks in advance standard practice. the sooner the better obviously.

 

Ok. Good. I'm glad you were not thinking about this weekend. I'm willing to put in a 2 week notice for 2 days off. If this comes together quickly just go ahead and count me in. I'm just worried if we can "predict" fresh-ish snow 2 weeks out.

 

If we look at some historical data from 2015 and 2014 here...

 

http://www.onthesnow.com/california/snow-summit/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2015

 

....there is usually a small amount of snow that falls late February. Same with the el nino years 2009 and 2010.

 

Dunno if that info helps at all.

 

 

......

 

I was thinking about the Running Springs connection but I'm also very willing to contribute to renting something closer.

 

If we go, the Costco tickets may be a good idea.

 

I'm totally willing to use my truck for hauling stuff. The tires have plenty of tread but it is only 2WD.

 

I glanced at this yesterday: http://www.onthesnow.com/california/skireport.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the offer of your truck Kuhla, but no offense I would be worried about the power needed to get up some of the steep inclines into the mountains. I've seen cars with more horsepower than your truck struggle up some of the slopes, let alone if there is some snow/ice on the ground and a bed full of gear.

 

I've looked at most of the road reports and the general consensus is that no chains are needed unless it's snowed in the last 2 days.

I've driven in the snow a total of 1 time, and while that particular drive was in some really nasty conditions (and short lived) I fully admit I would have some serious trepidation about doing it again on some of the mountain roads. I'm more than willing to drive if it looks relatively clear, but if there's a serious chance of snow I'd have to consider my options.

 

While I'm fairly certain none of us is quite prepared to go on 2/13-2/15 those dates are blacked out on the costco tickets for presidents day. I also imagine it would be pretty packed that weekend. We could try for 2/20-2/21 or 2/27-2/28. Both of which give decent lead time. You guys mentioned taking a long weekend, did you want to make it 3 or 4 days? Keep in mind it takes roughly 2-2.5 hours to get from OC to running springs and another 30 minutes to big bear.

I'm fine with either a 3-4 day weekend, something like: Friday morning rent gear, grab early lunch head up to the mountain get settled in and chill, Saturday/Sunday full day of skiing/snowboarding, Monday pack up and head back, return rental gear.

 

Keep in mind a full day of skiing/snowboarding is tiring. I know personally what I mean by full day is from 9am to around 3-4pm with a lunch in between. While it's rough, we could theoretically go straight from the slopes on Sunday afternoon back home to return gear and go to work on Monday. We would just need to plan ahead for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok soo far sounded like both of you are down.

 

i have to ask ben.

sooo yeah lets shoot for end of feb.

lets wrap this up and make it happen.

 

i do have 10% cash back offers from boa if i use https://www.airbnb.com

 

 

either way is fine for me friday - monday

or friday - sunday.

 

but i figure kat would prefer thursday - sunday. shes off friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also willing to do Thursday-Sunday.

For Tino's suggestion about AirBnB, looks like it would run between $125 and $200 a night. 3 nights split 5 ways would be $75-120 per person for the lodging. Then tickets and food.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Big-Bear--CA--United-States?guests=5&checkin=02%2F25%2F2016&checkout=&ss_id=agd77i20&source=bb

 

Also we need to dust off the gopro's and get some decent use out of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally, was going to talk about combining events, but based on the proposed location the 1st invitee to Lake Tahoe (near Sacramento). I'm definitely a no go on that location. So to continue discussing Arrowhead as a location below:

 

LOCATION / TRANSPORTATION:

For a first time, I would much prefer a closer location like Big Bear rather than Mammoth. Maybe after our ears get a bit more wet would I consider Mammoth. I'm also really interested in bring my Telescope along so I'm up for either. I can also see if I can bring my sister's Toyota Highlander which has AWD. Would be much better for snow.

 

EXPERIENCE:

I have zero experience with snowboarding or sking but I"m interested in both and would need instructions on what I need to prepare before and during the trip.

 

TIMING:

2/19-2/22 (Fri-Mon.) - I can do this as an alternate

2/26 to 2/28 - (Preferable to give Rosefil max heal time)

 

Once we've decided on a date ASAP, I'll make the request to my management for time off. Let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright let's focus this down to the date itself, since that seems to be the crux of the issue.

 

We currently have 2 proposed weekends 2/20-2/21 and 2/27-2/28.

 

On either of those we have 2-3 options:

4 day weekend starting on Thursday ending Sunday

4 day weekend starting on Friday ending Monday

3 day weekend starting on Friday ending Sunday

 

It sounds right now like we should be pushing for the weekend of 2/27-2/28.

 

If anyone here would substantially prefer the 2/20-2/21 weekend post by the end of today and we'll figure it out.

Once we have a weekend selected we'll figure out the exact days off we'll be taking, and we can all submit for time off requests. We should try not to book any lodging/tickets before we can confirm who can make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the offer of your truck Kuhla, but no offense I would be worried about the power needed to get up some of the steep inclines into the mountains. I've seen cars with more horsepower than your truck struggle up some of the slopes, let alone if there is some snow/ice on the ground and a bed full of gear.

 

Understandable concern but I'm not sure what other options we have. I was not really thinking a bed full of stuff, more like a couple of skis and snowboards (possibly wet and dirty too) and a bag or two.

 

I'm also willing to do Thursday-Sunday.

For Tino's suggestion about AirBnB, looks like it would run between $125 and $200 a night. 3 nights split 5 ways would be $75-120 per person for the lodging. Then tickets and food.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Big-Bear--CA--United-States?guests=5&checkin=02%2F25%2F2016&checkout=&ss_id=agd77i20&source=bb

 

Also we need to dust off the gopro's and get some decent use out of them.

 

$75-120 is entirely within my willingness to pay.

 

As for Friday-Monday or Thursday-Sunday, either one is fine for me.

 

Man... my gopro is old...

 

Originally, was going to talk about combining events, but based on the proposed location the 1st invitee to Lake Tahoe (near Sacramento). I'm definitely a no go on that location. So to continue discussing Arrowhead as a location below:

 

LOCATION / TRANSPORTATION:

For a first time, I would much prefer a closer location like Big Bear rather than Mammoth. Maybe after our ears get a bit more wet would I consider Mammoth. I'm also really interested in bring my Telescope along so I'm up for either. I can also see if I can bring my sister's Toyota Highlander which has AWD. Would be much better for snow.

 

EXPERIENCE:

I have zero experience with snowboarding or sking but I"m interested in both and would need instructions on what I need to prepare before and during the trip.

 

TIMING:

2/19-2/22 (Fri-Mon.) - I can do this as an alternate

2/26 to 2/28 - (Preferable to give Rosefil max heal time)

 

Once we've decided on a date ASAP, I'll make the request to my management for time off. Let me know.

 

I'm confused about this statement: "...So to continue discussing Arrowhead as a location below..... I would much prefer a closer location like Big Bear rather than Mammoth...." so we are talking about Big Bear, yes? Not Arrowhead.

 

I have a little preference for 2/27-2/28 weekend but it's small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

malaphax how far is the travel from your relative cabin to the the nearest ski resorts ?

also are they high enough on the elevations? do they have snow? i want the whole snowy cabin experience LOL

 

just fyi

 

mountain high > lake arrowhead > big bear

 

they all about 1 hr drive between them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tino

https://goo.gl/maps/JggiLohM7Mw

 

Google says 40 minutes, it's only 19 miles but obviously the average speed is probably 25-35mph. It really depends on road conditions and traffic. Keep in mind if you get stuck behind some slowass truck that adds time. I've never had it take longer than an hour and I think that was on a Sunday afternoon with very heavy traffic.

I know I keep harping on this point, but you can't really blast on these roads even if they're perfectly dry, too many corners and various hazards.

 

Yes Running Springs gets snow, it's right between Arrowhead and Big Bear and is roughly the same elevation: 6,000'.

I'm currently in the process of asking about the Running Springs cabin availability. If it is available, there won't be a per night cost, but we will need to thoroughly clean the cabin when we leave.

Doing some roughly napkin math, we would also need people to bunk up and someone might even get stuck on the couch. The cabin is 3 bedrooms, and you can easily fit 2-3 people per bedroom, but our headcount right now is looking like 6-7people.

 

EDIT:
For Reference this is the distance from Fullerton to Running Springs:

https://goo.gl/maps/jRaj7bWtdfB2

I know Google is suggesting 1hr20m but that's a very aggressive estimate. I think my mom's all time record is 57m door to door, and that was in the summer with no snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problems. i might have to take my dog.

1. thus means you guys have to be ok with

2. find a cabin that allows dog

3. find some one to baby sit for the weekend.

 

hes a male corgi. medium dog, derp machine. not to crazy.

 

926989_418279808316751_1858360339_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a google street view of the cabin I'm talking about. It's a 2 story A frame house, it has room for 2-4 cars in the driveway.

I have no idea on the dog policy, but I will ask the owner when I give him a call this afternoon.

https://goo.gl/maps/nqZABU97eZF2

 

I don't care too much about the dog, but I would be slightly concerned with what you plan on doing with him when we ski/snowboard. Are you planning on putting him in a backpack and taking him down the slopes? (joking)

I would be a bit concerned just leaving him at a house/cabin for the entire day, but you would know more about this than I would. Last time I went to snow summit they were mostly ok with dogs in/around the lodge at the bottom, but that means someone would need to stay with the dog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, the Cabin in running springs is available. I spoke to the owner, and asked about dogs as well. He mentioned that because there are coyotes you have to keep the dog on a leash and you can't really let him roam outside unsupervised. Other than that, if you pick up after him it's not a huge issue.

 

On a side note, there is no garbage collection in running springs, so you can either take a trip to the city dump or carry your trash out with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wait soo i cant bring my dog inside ?

 

walker is in house dog. and i always make sure his paws is clean. is it carpeted inside ?

because im more hesitant bringing him if its carpet.

 

he knows not to poop or pee inside and well trained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ Tino. He would be allowed inside, the first floor is tile/laminate and the upstairs is carpet.

I was more concerned with what your plan is for the dog during the day. We can discuss the details for that later.

 

The consensus I'm getting from everyone is that we're aiming for the weekend of the 2/27-2/28. Let's narrow down if we're doing Friday-Monday or Thursday - Sunday. So far the only person with a preference is Tino for Thursday - Sunday.

I would like some firm dates on this by tomorrow at the latest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and we want to board and ski on both days ? i would prob get rekt the day after.

i'll ask kat what she wants to do when we are away from the cabin; with the dog situation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if you bring the Walker, we might bring Rushka as well and I'm sure Rosefil would love to watch over them. Alternate solution is to leave both at my parents house or my house.

 

 

I'm confused about this statement: "...So to continue discussing Arrowhead as a location below..... I would much prefer a closer location like Big Bear rather than Mammoth...." so we are talking about Big Bear, yes? Not Arrowhead.

 

Apologies, confused arrowhead with big bear as well. Meant Big Bear in both statements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am interested. My dad's Chevy Tahoe is available (2WD). We have chains. The Tahoe fits 6 comfortably but can squeeze 8. I can probably borrow a snowboard rack which fits 4 snowboards, although the price to rent in Fullerton would be roughly the same as the price to rent in Big Bear. I'm flexible with regards to the dates, although I would prefer to be back by Sunday evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

malaphax are we staying @ your relatives cabin or im looking for one ?

 

i prob gotta look for it like right now, if we want to proceed with this. and also can you ask them how much is the fees for us to stay at their cabin.

 

cal invite sent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called and confirmed we can stay there, that option is open.

I do not have a firm price for the cabin. I will offer him $50 per person for the weekend, that looks to be $350 total for lodging. If you want to look for a few places on airbnb right in big bear I'm still totally fine with that. Just keep in mind we're looking at 7 people in this party, so we need a place which has a minimum of 3 bedrooms and probably parking to fit at least 3 vehicles.

 

Are we just doing Friday-Sunday? If so are we planning on only staying Friday and Saturday night? It seems like that's what your invite was. I guess that means we'll only be skiing 1day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that invite is still not a firm commit but i want others to vote if you guys wants to go longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...