Tactically Inept

Weekend Fun

T1no

Ok. I tried to update myself on the google chat conversation and this is the plan so far as I understand it:

Wednesday (Feb 24)

• Rent equipment after work.

Thursday (Feb 25)

• Drive up to cabin after work (weather permitting).

Friday (Feb 26) <---- This is the day you submit for time-off request.

• Snow fun

Saturday (Feb 27)

• Snow fun

Sunday (Feb 28)

• Short snow fun again??
  • Pack up and leave.
  • Return equipment.
  • Back home by evening.

Can everyone confirm that this seems accurate plan?

Remaining issues as far as I know:

1. Which cabin?
    • Running springs: Cheaper and big-ish but a bit of a drive to the slopes.
    • Something else (like airbnb tino linked): Close to slopes but more expensive, unknown size and unknown parking situation.
  2. Dog(s) situation? How many are coming? What will they do during the day and with who?
  3. Who is driving what? No matter what cabin we go to, parking will probably be an issue with more than 3 vehicles. Some carpooling needs to be done and we need to keep in mind the gear we are bringing and that it will get wet.
  4. Checklist of items to bring? There are definitely some clothes I will need to buy on short notice. I have nothing that works in snow right now.
  5. Where are we renting gear? Sports Chalet?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem with that is that you are being charge one extra rent day because we are not using it on Thursday.

i would recommend picking up stuff after work on thursday before we leave.

im bringing walker because nobody can baby sit on that weekend. unless something come up and i think kat want to let him play in the snow.

she said he'll be fine being left alone for long period of time. and we have a pen that we can bring to contain his roaming.

we will prob be in one car cause i gotta haul the dog.

the problem with that is that you are being charge one extra rent day because we are not using it on Thursday.

i would recommend picking up stuff after work on thursday before we leave.

Regarding the equipment rentals, yes, that's true, on that page I linked that looks like $20 for additional night, but since everyone has to rent their own stuff as long as everyone in your carpool is renting on Wednesday or Thursday, everyone can probably do whichever they prefer. I'm personally more worried about driving time and driving conditions so I want all the extra time I can get on Thursday to drive up to wherever we are staying.

Tino, are you willing to carpool with us? If I can borrow my sister's Highlander (AWD), I think there should be enough space for our gear and two dogs (held by the ladies). I've never had chains nor do I know how to put on chains though.

Alternately, it would be

Tino + Kat

Me + wife

kuhla + Ben + malaphax?

The cabin in running springs should fit 7 people, we can discuss rooming arrangements, I expect the single guys to be sharing a room, worst case one person get's the couch.
The parking situation at running springs should fit 3-4 cars. It might be a bit tight, but as long as we're not sticking way out into the road, I don't think anyone in the neighborhood will complain. We can't really park on the street because it's a residential and mostly 2 lane road.

If you guys want to Airbnb this, that's still fine, but I would request a firm answer by the end of next week. I would also like a breakdown of cost if we airbnb it.

Wednesday/Thursday rentals. I personally get off of work at 5:30pm. I assuming I go straight home to change and then to sports challet the earliest I could see myself getting to the rental counter is 6:30. Normally it takes around 30+ min to go through the rental process of getting fitted and signing out the gear. So we're looking at leaving Brea around 7:30-8:00pm. It's probably 1.5-2 hours drive up there and this will be in the dark. I would also like to eat dinner at some point...
It's a little bit close to do all this on Thursday, I would be willing to do it but considering it's like $22/day for rentals I'm at least considering doing the rental portion on Wednesday.

@Kuhla
I will also need to buy some gear as well. I might have an old snow jacket that will fit, but I will absolutely need ski pants.
I will go over a checklist as we get closer to the day. Right now off the top of my head I do have some ideas/suggestions to think about.
• Food: We'll probably be eating an expensive lunch on the slopes, but breakfast and dinners are open. If we're staying there 3 nights, we might want to consider cooking one or more of those nights. I know the running springs cabin has a grill, other airbnb places might have something similar.
• Carpooling: As Right now I can think of a couple of carpool solutions. If Ben is willing to offer up an SUV that might be a great way of handling 4-5 people. Worst case scenario might be: Richard/Rose in one car, Tino/Kat in a second car, and Kuha/Ben/myself in the SUV or another car.
• Itinerary: I know we're pretty set on skiing/snowboarding Friday and Saturday, but what's the plan for Sunday? We could just play it lazy and get a late breakfast and then come home early afternoon, or if you guys wanted to go sledding or something we could do that. I don't recommend skiing/snowboarding on Sunday as well, but if everyone pushes for it I'll come along as well. I would ideally like to be back home mid-late afternoon.
• Dog(s): I've said previously I don't think the dog is an issue at running springs and I'm sure some Airbnb places would be ok with pets. But you can't leave him outside, even in a pen regardless of if we choose running springs or Big Bear. The coyotes up there are no joke. If you guys want to leave him in the cabin I guess that might work.
• Bedding: I can get details on the bedding at running springs, but it might be easier to just bring your own sheets or a sleeping bag.

I'll post more about this later. But the short answer is that we're all confirmed for Friday. So you guys better go and put in your time off requests.

At this point is it possible that we all make time to hop on mumble and hash out some of these details? I feel like I'm doing this shit by mail right now.

i'll be home after work soo i can talk about this after 7 ish prob.

im down for the running spring cabin. saved us some money i figure. i talked to my friend they dont recommend finding cabin nearby either because

1. assuming its walking distant its going to be hella expensive.

2. your ass is tired after you do that kind of shit and hauling a board and equipment by walking sucks

3. soo you end up driving anyway.

but im still ok with the idea. just keep those points above in mind.

im going to look for some jackets this weekend.

also do you guys have recomended optometrist around north oc

I'll reply to more of this later but honestly so far everything seems pretty good to me. Only smaller details left. Everyone better start praying/good vibrations/animal sacrifice for good conditions though....

also do you guys have recomended optometrist around north oc

Last two times have been at Costco in Fullerton and it worked out fine.

As for picking up equipment, maybe my wife might be able to do it for us if she is available since she isn't working. The only real issue is that she is still afraid of driving alone. We'll see about this.

I've been going to the same Optometrist since 2003 near Troy on Chapman and near Acacia (by your old house Tino). The Dr. is good but I'm getting tired of the poor quality secretarys and desktop reps. Not the best but i can recommend the service I get from the Doctor himself.

FYI, I already submitted my time off request as i left work today, we'll see whether or not it gets approved.

you need to be sized up to pick up your stuff. unless you know your sizing.

what sport chalet can do is that you come between now and then and input your info and sizing on to the system and when the day comes you just come in and pick up your shit. but they cant hold stuff for you. the longest part is usually imputing your info into the computer + sizing and mounting all the crap into the thing.

anyway can we finalized this weekend and have a group talk 15-30 min. all input and ideas are considered.

I am leaning to heading up Friday afternoon. But if you would need a larger SUV (like a Tahoe), then I would consider taking all of Friday off. I'll let you guys spend day one learning on the bunny slopes then we can all hit the black diamonds on day two :)

As for sleeping arrangements, I would be just fine on the floor. I will bring a sleeping pad and sleeping bag.

@Tino

I would double check those, the first two links are 2 bedroom houses. I think kuhla, ben and I would be willing to bunk up, but I sincerely doubt you, kat, richard and rose are planning on sharing a bed (even if it is king sized). We're also looking more like 3 cars going up rather than 2.

My bet is that I'll be the only one hitting the black diamonds with you ben. I'll need a warmup first. Last I checked my form was pretty shit.

Better idea is to try for intro stuff day one and then head to the park section on day 2, none of those runs are more than a blue square, but there's jumps and rails if you're feeling super adventurous.

We better catch some jackass stuff on film or I will be supremely disappointed.

I'm going through a mental checklist for snow gear: Pants, Jacket, Goggles/sunglasses, gloves, under-layer legs and torso. I think that's mostly it. I need to do an inventory of what I have on hand and then I'll start placing amazon orders and some shopping as well. If I'm feeling fancy I might head to sports challet to get sized myself, that might make things faster Thursday night.

hbghbg so much to reply to...

FYI, I already submitted my time off request as i left work today, we'll see whether or not it gets approved.

I just submitted my time off request for Friday the 26th too. Note: The date numbers I put in the earlier post were wrong. I went back and fixed them.

you need to be sized up to pick up your stuff. unless you know your sizing.

Even with the idea of going ahead of time and getting sizes in the computer system, etc. I still would just be too worried that it would end up wrong. If you are up there and have the wrong gear then it's useless and you will have to "re-rent" stuff up there. Too much risk.

I'm pretty much assuming we are going to the cabin in running springs. The extra drive time isn't all that great but it has enough size inside for everyone and we should be able to swing parking for 3 cars so it checks off two big items right there.

I might get an idea of numbers ahead of time though like malaphax is doing.

Yeah we probably need to have some kind of chat chat about this....

I am leaning to heading up Friday afternoon. But if you would need a larger SUV (like a Tahoe), then I would consider taking all of Friday off. I'll let you guys spend day one learning on the bunny slopes then we can all hit the black diamonds on day two :)

As for sleeping arrangements, I would be just fine on the floor. I will bring a sleeping pad and sleeping bag.

If you come later, that means another, separate vehicle, making it more than 3. I don't think that would work.

My bet is that I'll be the only one hitting the black diamonds with you ben. I'll need a warmup first. Last I checked my form was pretty shit.

Better idea is to try for intro stuff day one and then head to the park section on day 2, none of those runs are more than a blue square, but there's jumps and rails if you're feeling super adventurous.

We better catch some jackass stuff on film or I will be supremely disappointed.

You are talking specific runs but do we even know which park we are going to?.... If yes, that has not been made clear to me.

I'm not sure if I want to bring my gopro or not.... it's going to be so much beginner stuff.... and I imagine we will all spend a lot of time split up so I dunno.... I can bring it for someone else though I guess.....

As far as the actual park we're going to. I personally have experience with Snow Summit, the costco tickets work there and bear mountain (owned by the same company). Bear mountain used to be more focused on snowboarding, but I honestly have no idea if that's the case anymore. I'd strongly suggest we hit up snow summit, and if you guys really prefer bear mountain we can swap over to that either mid day Friday or for Saturday.

I also strongly recommend lessons for anyone that needs them. The group classes are generally pretty decent, they last about a half day.

https://www.snowsummit.com/winter/lessons-rentals/lessons

The way the mountain works is like this: Running Springs > Snow Valley (complete shit) > Big Bear Lake > Snow Summit > Bear Mountain. For reference, you park about a mile away from the base of the ski resort and get bused in. If I remember correctly you can also switch between Snow Summit and Bear Mountain, they might also have buses running between the two. Also the "buses" are like flatbed military trucks with no roof.

As far as the Snow Summit layout itself:

snow-summit-trailmap-11-15-2015.jpg

The bunny slopes are in the bottom left, lift 4. The main 2 runs are "Summit Run" and "Miracle Mile" straight from the top using lift 1. The "Family Park" is on the far right, it's almost all medium difficulty, but like I mentioned they do have some jumps and rails. I've taken the jumps before but I'm not quite badass enough for the rails.

I'll also link the bear mountain trail map. I've never been there, but it looks like most of the runs are a bit higher difficulty. If you guys are up to that, I'm fine. But I'm not going to push anyone, this everyone's vacation, so your personal enjoyment is what matters.

bear-mountain-trailmap-11-15-2015.jpg

I just submitted my time off request for Friday the 26th too. Note: The date numbers I put in the earlier post were wrong. I went back and fixed them.

Mine got approved.

Car situation for me. me and kat and the dog walker will take one car.

What does that mean? Another person?

Mine got approved.

Car situation for me. me and kat and the dog walker will take one car.

What does that mean? Another person?

and walker the DOG. his name is walker

Capitalization and punctuation save lives.

On a more serious note. The situation with the dogs. I would prefer there were no dogs, if you can find someone to watch Walker that would be best. If there's no one available we can accommodate ONE dog. I cannot allow multiple dogs, it's not a kennel it's a cabin. I expect he'll be behaved, and that anything related to the dog you will take responsibility for. If Tino, Richard and myself need to work out the details on the pet policy I will gladly talk this out with you guys on mumble or an email.

We also need to lock down the situation with the cars. I would prefer to aim for 3 cars, right now that looks like Tino/Cat - Richard/Rose - Kuhla/Ben/malaphax. There are some laws regarding vehicles up there that I'm not super familiar with, my suggestion is to try and carpool as much as possible and cut down on any potential headache.

@Ben - I know I'm imposing upon your offer, but I would personally appreciate using your SUV, especially considering we might be able to transport everyone or nearly everyone to the Ski Resort in it. This also means we're forcing you to take Friday off. Please let me know if that's an issue and we'll address it as best as possible.

I'm looking forward to this, and while I'm not trying to sound/act like a tyrant I'd rather we have the plans for this locked down than scramble at the last minute and fuck it up.

@Ben - I know I'm imposing upon your offer, but I would personally appreciate using your SUV, especially considering we might be able to transport everyone or nearly everyone to the Ski Resort in it. This also means we're forcing you to take Friday off. Please let me know if that's an issue and we'll address it as best as possible.

Hey I offered, so now I'll stick to my word and request the Friday off. I'll test out the snowboard rack tomorrow.

Thanks Ben, I appreciate it. I was thinking if we can all fit in the Tahoe going to Snow Summit / Bear Mountain that might make things easier, but if we need to take 2 cars it's not a big deal.

@Kuhla as far as checklists, things I'm thinking of. Bolded items are items I'm unsure of and might consider purchasing.

Clothes:
Snow Pants, Snow jacket (+mid layer), thick socks, under layers (compression pants + compression shirt), gloves, sunglasses/goggles, warm hat, sleeping clothes, jeans, shirts, underwear, regular socks, boots
Toiletries:
Bodywash, Toothbrush/toothpaste, chapstick, toilet paper, towel(s), moisturizer, sunscreen
Utility Items:
Sleeping Bag, Pillow, E-Reader, Cell Phone, Action Camera, Charger(s), Leatherman, Entertainment?, hydration pack?, Spare Blankets, Basic Cleaning Supplies
Food:
Breakfast materials, Snack bars, alcohol, Preferably 1 dinner, Cash for other food

I'll probably make a few purchases this week for some stuff I might need, but I'm not entirely sure if I want to get a hydration pack. I also don't know what you guys want to do for entertainment up there. I think there's an old tv up there with some basic cable (maybe) but I have no idea if you guys want to consider bringing board games or cards to pass some time after the slopes.

At some point we'll have to discuss the food situation. I have no issues eating out, but we could probably cook at least one meal up there, but I know we all have varying tastes so we'll have to work that out.

Have not fully read last 2 posts but I just remembered and wanted to add, when I was at Sport Chalet I asked about "putting my numbers into the system" and they said they moved away from computers and the rental system is now all paper-based so you can get your numbers but then you have to remember them when you come back.