Sign in to follow this  
T1no

Weekend Fun

@Tino - I have no idea about the internet situation up there. Last time I checked there wasn't any, so if you want to bring up media you may need a local copy unless you plan on tethering with your phone, which I have no idea what the signal will be like in Running Springs.

@Kuhla - There's a small part of me that understand why Sports Challet doesn't want to keep some huge database of customer information, but there's another part of me that thinks about the huge inefficiency of a paper rental system.

I didn't make it to Sports Challet this weekend, I'll probably look to go sometime this coming weekend and get fitted for gear.

altho the selections are more than dicks or sport authority but still pretty bleh. you prob better off looking online. or im planing to visit rei or some snowboard outlet. kat bought her stuff online yesterday.

but yeah come in and get fitted.

Food:

Breakfast materials, Snack bars, alcohol, Preferably 1 dinner, Cash for other food

I also don't know what you guys want to do for entertainment up there. I think there's an old tv up there with some basic cable (maybe) but I have no idea if you guys want to consider bringing board games or cards to pass some time after the slopes.

At some point we'll have to discuss the food situation. I have no issues eating out, but we could probably cook at least one meal up there, but I know we all have varying tastes so we'll have to work that out.

I have some ideas about food bouncing around in my head but I'm not ready to write them out yet. The good thing about food is you bring it up, eat it, you don't have to bring it back down.

@Tino - I have no idea about the internet situation up there. Last time I checked there wasn't any, so if you want to bring up media you may need a local copy unless you plan on tethering with your phone, which I have no idea what the signal will be like in Running Springs.

On the one hand, I have just about all of my media on an external drive so that's easy to bring along but there have been times I've brought "entertainment" along and it ended up going unused the entire time and ended up being a waste to pack. I'd rather bring less than more and just make do.

altho the selections are more than dicks or sport authority but still pretty bleh. you prob better off looking online. or im planing to visit rei or some snowboard outlet. kat bought her stuff online yesterday.

but yeah come in and get fitted.

This brings up something from yesterday that we discussed: I'd like to get a firm count on how many people are going to ski/snowboard so we can plan out buying lift tickets at Costco ahead of time.

Also: I'm under the impression that it is pretty much agreed that we are going to the cabin in Running Springs. If anyone is NOT under that impression, please say so.

As far as the actual food yes, you eat it and generate minimal trash. As far as utensils... I believe we have flatware and plates up at the cabin, but we may want to bring some or some disposable plates/cutlery.

The last time I was up at the cabin the tv was an old tube based tv that was under 30" (don't worry kids it had a built in VCR). If you guys want to bring media, you may also want to consider bringing up a monitor/tv to play it on. I have a spare monitor that I might be able to volunteer but it's only 24" I'm content with board games and my e-reader, if I don't use the internet the entire weekend I'll survive just fine.

Who wants to play Monopoly? Risk? I'm okay with no media as well, and being content with whats on my phone. So thats a no on the Dog's to Tino and I? I'll have to leave mine with the parents then or roommates.

So one thing I've been following so far is, trying to figure out who's renting what at where. I have never done any snow activity where I was required to buy or rent snow gear. I'm still trying to minimize my expenditures until Rosefil starts working so I'm only going to purchase what is absolutely required.

In regards to malaphax's List, I'm only going to touch upon the snow related gear as those are the items we are most likely to not have in stock already. Questions are below.

Clothes:

• Snow Pants - Buy or Rent?
  • Snow Jacket - Buy or Rent?
  • Thick socks - Buy
  • Under layers (compression pants + compression shirt) - Is this absolutely required?
  • Gloves - Buy or Rent?
  • Sunglasses/goggles - Buy or rent?
  • Warm hat - Is this absolutely required?
  • Boots - Does combat boots (from Airsoft) work?

Equipment:

• Helmet - Buy or Rent?
  • Ski's + Ski Poles - Rent
  • Snowboard - Rent

based on my previous experience you want to get snow pants and jacket. unless you are comfortable enough not to fall your are going to have a miss-arable time because your shit is gonna be wet and cold and its not fun. weather to buy or rent thats up to you.

gloves is also a must but hit up malaphax he might have some to borrow.

boots - rent; no your combat boots dont work for snowboarding.

goggles no need(ya its bright; deal with it or go buy goggles). i wouldn't recommend sunglasses because when you fall it will fly off.

warm hat - use your beanies.

equipment you rent unless you enjoy snowboarding so much.

if you snowboard you rent board binding and boots

if you ski you rent ski, ski boots and poles.

helmet recommended but unless you can maintain speed and slowdown you should be ok on most falls.

also is Rosefill healed ? can she walk normally and no pain ? if she still have any some sort of pain i wouldn't recommend she do this. its very demanding activity and you will get sore unless you do this in daily basis.

Who wants to play Monopoly? Risk? I'm okay with no media as well, and being content with whats on my phone. So thats a no on the Dog's to Tino and I? I'll have to leave mine with the parents then or roommates.

So one thing I've been following so far is, trying to figure out who's renting what at where. I have never done any snow activity where I was required to buy or rent snow gear. I'm still trying to minimize my expenditures until Rosefil starts working so I'm only going to purchase what is absolutely required.

In regards to malaphax's List, I'm only going to touch upon the snow related gear as those are the items we are most likely to not have in stock already. Questions are below.

Clothes:

• Snow Pants - Buy or Rent?
  • Snow Jacket - Buy or Rent?
  • Thick socks - Buy
  • Under layers (compression pants + compression shirt) - Is this absolutely required?
  • Gloves - Buy or Rent?
  • Sunglasses/goggles - Buy or rent?
  • Warm hat - Is this absolutely required?
  • Boots - Does combat boots (from Airsoft) work?

Equipment:

• Helmet - Buy or Rent?
  • Ski's + Ski Poles - Rent
  • Snowboard - Rent

Gear for skiing or snowboarding is stuff you rent.

Skiing: skis, boots, poles.

Snowboard: board, boots.

Everything else you buy. I'm not aware of anyone that "rents" clothes for snow. Just think about it this way, you wear a layer(s) underneath that keeps you warm and then you wear an outer layer that is 100% waterproof to keep you dry. Pants meant for snowboard/skiing will differ from normal pants by, not only being water proof, but also having much larger, and probably adjustable, leg openings to account for the ski/snowboard boots which are often very bulky.

If buying new, the cheapest jacket+snowpants I found at Sports Chalet was $100 ($60 jacket from columbia, $40 pants from white sierra).

Compression pants/shorts is not absolutely necessary. Remember layers though. Unless it's really warm when we are up there (I hope not) you will need some things to go underneath.

Gloves, like Tino said check with malaphax.

Sunglasses vs goggles. You need something. It's very bright. I have some goggles from a previous trip but if I can get away with it I'm just going to use sunglasses (since they are prescription and I don't think they fit well underneath the goggles).

Boots as in walking around when not snowboarding/skiing? Whatever you think will keep your fit relatively dry should work.

I've never rented a helmet but that's something up to each individual. I plan to just have a beany.

based on my previous experience you want to get snow pants and jacket. unless you are comfortable enough not to fall your are going to have a miss-arable time because your shit is gonna be wet and cold and its not fun. weather to buy or rent thats up to you.

gloves is also a must but hit up malaphax he might have some to borrow.

boots - rent; no your combat boots dont work for snowboarding.

goggles no need(ya its bright; deal with it or go buy goggles). i wouldn't recommend sunglasses because when you fall it will fly off.

warm hat - use your beanies.

equipment you rent unless you enjoy snowboarding so much.

if you snowboard you rent board binding and boots

if you ski you rent ski, ski boots and poles.

helmet recommended but unless you can maintain speed and slowdown you should be ok on most falls.

also is Rosefill healed ? can she walk normally and no pain ? if she still have any some sort of pain i wouldn't recommend she do this. its very demanding activity and you will get sore unless you do this in daily basis.

Based on what I'm seeing right now, it's 7 people going up, 6 people skiing/snowboarding.

Richard, same question as Tino, is there a plan for Rose? Can she walk around? She will be alone for hours at a time. Just keep that in mind.

I shot gunned this post in-between work items. Sorry for the scatter.

im kinda worried that we wont have any more rain. do we still want to try snowboarding and skiing if conditions is not the greatest?

This week looks hot as hell but "supposedly" we'll be getting rain sometime next week up there.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/92382:4:US

I sincerely hope we get some rain and some cooler weather so they can continue to make snow. I've gone skiing before when it's warm/hot and it gets pretty ugly especially in the afternoons.

If the conditions are total shit we can scrap the plan altogether, but as long as it gets near freezing temperatures at night they will make snow. We're all sort of committed at this point, but if we have a nasty heatwave I totally understand if you guys want to bail out. Maybe you guys shouldn't take the tags off of anything you buy until we hit the mountain...

I plan on calling the cabin owner to confirm our booking and to get firm price on what it will be for the weekend. Since there are only 6 people skiing/snowboarding we can easily get costco tickets, however considering the weather and the small possibility that we either call this off or have horrible conditions, I would suggest we hold off on purchasing lift tickets until much closer to the actual date.

@ Richard

I'm fine with loaning you a couple pairs of gloves, but you may want to check the fit ahead of time. If you want you can also check the fit on my old snowboard pants, I used to wear them as a teenager so you might fit in them. The jacket you're on your own, find something waterproof, long enough to cover to midway down your butt and make sure you have a decent layer underneath.

The compression pants/shirts are not required, but a second layer most likely will be, this can be anything from jeans to thermal underwear to something lighter. I'm going with compression pants because I can use them for other stuff and because at this point I don't think it will be cold enough to warrant thermal underwear, but I will be bringing an extra set of underclothes just in case.

You need some form of goggles/glasses. If you take glasses you need a tether or something to keep them on your face when you eat shit. The snow is bright as hell when the sun is out, protect your vision.

I also hope both you and Rose understand what's available up there for entertainment. I'm not sure if Rose plans on chilling at the lodge when we go snowboarding but I would recommend you have a plan in place so her trip is enjoyable as well.

Also I'm not playing monopoly, don't even bring that. Other stuff is fine.

if weather sucks the lift would be close anyway.

but i also dont mind going up there to stay in the cabin. and explore big bear. soo if you guys call the trip off would it be possible if i can still rent the cabin for the discounted homie fees just for me and kat O_o or + whoever still wants to hangout.

question for malaphax^

If the resorts shut down because of weather then I will most likely stay at home. I sincerely doubt that will happen, and considering Snow Summit and Bear mountain have events scheduled that weekend it would be a nightmare scenario if they had to shut down.

http://www.snowsummit.com/winter/events/events-calendar

Assume we're going, but the conditions might not be ideal.

I've confirmed the Running Springs cabin. The cost is $50 per person.

I will also ask that everyone pitch in on the last day and make sure we leave the cabin clean. It shouldn't take us long to do some quick dusting and vacuuming and making sure we take all of our trash out with us or to the dump.

We can discuss who gets what rooms, there are 3 bedrooms: 1 master downstairs, 2 bedrooms upstairs. One of the upstairs bedrooms and possibly the couch will be for myself, ben and kuhla. Tino/Kat and Richard/Rose can fight over who wants the other two bedrooms.

I recommend taking up sleeping bags, pillows and some blankets. I will confirm the sizes of the beds if you'd prefer to bring up your own sheets.

If anyone has any questions about the cabin or it's facilities please let me know and I'll ask the owner over the next couple of weeks.

At some point I will also need to speak with ben and kuhla, so we can nail down the details on the carpooling Thursday night.

Some things we need to discuss and iron out.

Food:

Breakfast - I have no idea what you guys want to eat or if you want to organize something, I'm willing to bring up some costco baked good (bagels, croissants, muffins) or a couple of big boxes of cereal/oatmeal.

Dinner - I'm fine with eating out for both nights (Friday/Saturday) but if we'd like to organize a simple meal for one of those nights I'm fine with that too. Something like spaghetti or lasagna etc...

Above all, if we cannot agree to anything I'm not going to bother, I'll just bring up whatever I plan to eat.

Carpooling / Arrivals:

Since we're taking 3 cars up there, I'd like to start nailing down what time we all plan on leaving. Since I have the key to the cabin I'd like to make sure everyone isn't stuck waiting for me to arrive and let them in.

Especially for myself, Kuhla and Ben - how do we plan on handling dinner on Thursday night and carpooling up there? I get off of a work on Thursday at 5:30 and I'll need to rent gear afterwards so I can't currently picture leaving much earlier than around 8pm.

Some things we need to discuss and iron out.

Food:

Breakfast - I have no idea what you guys want to eat or if you want to organize something, I'm willing to bring up some costco baked good (bagels, croissants, muffins) or a couple of big boxes of cereal/oatmeal.

Dinner - I'm fine with eating out for both nights (Friday/Saturday) but if we'd like to organize a simple meal for one of those nights I'm fine with that too. Something like spaghetti or lasagna etc...

Above all, if we cannot agree to anything I'm not going to bother, I'll just bring up whatever I plan to eat.

Carpooling / Arrivals:

Since we're taking 3 cars up there, I'd like to start nailing down what time we all plan on leaving. Since I have the key to the cabin I'd like to make sure everyone isn't stuck waiting for me to arrive and let them in.

Especially for myself, Kuhla and Ben - how do we plan on handling dinner on Thursday night and carpooling up there? I get off of a work on Thursday at 5:30 and I'll need to rent gear afterwards so I can't currently picture leaving much earlier than around 8pm.

Food:

Breakfast - I'm obviously down for oatmeal but I'm willing to switch to something else if there is a majority that goes in a different direction.

Dinner - I would prefer we only eat out one night and we eat "in" one night.

Carpooling / Arrivals:

I thought we were getting gear Wednesday night and eating the extra day of rental cost to avoid doing it Thursday night that will already be packed with dinner (something on the way) and the drive to not show up there too late? We can probably eat wherever but eating here locally before we hit the road would probably be best.

@ Tino

Yea we can do drinks. I have no idea what everyone drinks (aside from Richard) but if you guys want to pitch in for booze that's fine by me. Same thing with non-alcoholic drinks, if you guys want to all bring something other than water we can try and coordinate it, otherwise feel free to bring your own stuff.

Carpooling / Arrivals:

I thought we were getting gear Wednesday night and eating the extra day of rental cost to avoid doing it Thursday night that will already be packed with dinner (something on the way) and the drive to not show up there too late? We can probably eat wherever but eating here locally before we hit the road would probably be best.

That's entirely up to Ben, I'm fine with renting either Wednesday or Thursday. The 3 of us need to be on the same page, if you want to rent Wednesday that's fine but it breaks down if we all need to wait for someone to rent Thursday night. Ideally I'd like to be packed/ready and just drive home right after work and then we all eat quick and start the carpool shortly afterwards. I'm just trying to make sure we're on the same page beforehand.

That's entirely up to Ben, I'm fine with renting either Wednesday or Thursday. The 3 of us need to be on the same page, if you want to rent Wednesday that's fine but it breaks down if we all need to wait for someone to rent Thursday night. Ideally I'd like to be packed/ready and just drive home right after work and then we all eat quick and start the carpool shortly afterwards. I'm just trying to make sure we're on the same page beforehand.

Ok. In that case I would be willing to say I can be flexible too. I am going for sizing probably this coming Saturday. I will try to get an answer regarding how long it takes to grab the equipment if you walk in with your sizes ready to go (thinking of Thursday).

Kuhla spoke with Ben about this. The weather looks pretty crap even if it does snow tonight/tomorrow. I'm not trying to scare anyone off but if there's very little snow or if it's 70-80 degrees I have a feeling Ben and Kuhla will bail. Last call is next Wednesday. I don't plan on buying lift tickets/food/anything else until then.

Currently there is between 3-4' of man made snow at both resorts. Both resorts have every trail open. They may get some snow in the next couple days but not much predicted after that.

I personally would consider these conditions workable but I'll be checking back early next week.

http://www.snowsummit.com/winter/mountain-information/web-cams

http://www.snowsummit.com/winter/mountain-information/trail-status

http://www.bearmountain.com/mountain-info/trail-status