• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The changes I appreciate on the mk7.5

• Front and Rear Lights - The front lights look better and more aggressive, I love the changes to the red line.  The rear lights have a proper yellow indicators, which is a small detail I dislike on the "older" golfs
  • Additional driving settings / customization - you can choose between eco, normal, and sport modes. I have a feeling the differences will be minor but it's always nice to have more options
  • Bigger & Better infotainment system - I believe the 2017 model already comes with apple/google integration and the mk7.5 looks like they've bumped this again slightly

I dislike the completely digital cockpit, and with today's phones, why would I ever want to use a car's built in navigation when my phone will almost certainly be better - especially consider the car has android auto integration.

In a perfect world, I'll find a 2018 GTI S trim with performance package.  I don't really want the fancy upgrades, not super interested in the leather seats, bigger infotainment system or the digital dash.  I also have to be concerned about sunroof and fit so I don't want a higher trim model. 

Last I heard from a dealer the 2018 GTI should arrive approximately September. 
Sidenote, I briefly asked a dealer about that official tuning with a warranty, he was clueless and I don't blame him - it's only available to a small number of dealerships.  Honestly I think 230hp is plenty anyways, that's basically what my WRX gets and I rarely get a chance to enjoy it.

The APR stuff is basically not available to us in socal. You need to buy from some very specific dealers to get it.  Honestly I'm not interested in tuning it anyways, 220hp is plenty. 
I plan on getting a performance package or sport because of the bigger brakes. 
I sincerely hope the full led tail lights are coming, if they aren't that's some bullshit.  Honestly that might be enough to affect my purchase decision, especially considering the relatively small changes between the mk7 and 7.5

• 3 weeks later...

i get it. 

i just like the idea of fast wagon. i love the golf but the wagon just makes sense if you are in the market for suvs.

i refuse to buy suv.

its expensive, driving dynamic sucks, heavy.

the cabin is exactly the same like the golf. you only gain trunk space.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll shitpost in this thread before I decide to start a new one. 

The basics: I'm still trying to buy a '18 Golf GTI.  Ideally the SE trim.  I still need to sit in one just to confirm that I fit with the sunroof because the sunroof is standard on SE and autobahn trims. 

I've been waiting on VW of America since goddamn October and I'm just now getting notice from a local dealer that they're slowly coming in stock.  I was called and told they had 1 in black.  They should receive a pure white one in roughly 1 week. 

Having test driven kuhla's very nice GTI - I feel comfortable in knowing what I'd be purchasing.  It's got plenty of power, it's comfortable, and the fit & finish are a decent bit better than some of the other cars I had considered purchasing. 
Essentially once I confirm the fit with the sunroof all I'm left with is color.  This is where it gets... complicated (not really). 

Official Order sheet (pdf warning): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hXx0ClsFu-ARLTFiE7YlLKaaOY-TX_cj/view
I'm only interested in: Pure White, White Silver Metallic, and Dark Iron Blue. 

I've owned 2 cars in my life and they were both white.  It's safe, it's relatively boring but there's also nothing wrong with it.  Not even going to bother posting pictures of pure white. 

The white silver metallic seems to have some major color shift depending on the lighting.  Here's a few examples of what I mean. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Screenshot_20170520_122103.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Then there's the dark iron blue which I think looks like a nice grey/blue color. 

3420051_original.jpg3420052_original.jpg

9DrO7EP.jpg

Right now I'm sincerely tempted to go for the dark iron blue.  It's certainly a darker color, but I think it looks nice, especially with the red line accent. 

I need to go pester the VW dealer because supposedly I might also need to "order" the car which currently has a 12 week delivery estimate.

you should fit just fine with the sunroof. the sunroof is panorama and they retract out instead of in. takes smaller space.

interior dimension should be the same. you can try sitting on kats car if you like.

the white honestly growing on me and i think i prefer the lighter color on the 7.5. 
the fins on the fogs is agressive on the 7.5 and it create a nice contrast. that white pearl is gucci.

while i prefer darker color on the mk7. dont get me wrong but they both looks good.

My understanding from the specs and a few posts on VWvortex is that the panoramic sunroofs cut the interior headroom by roughly 1cm (~0.5").  I'm not as tall as Kuhla and I don't have his long torso so I should be fine as well, but I'd still like to test fit just to be sure.

Like I said in the previous post I'm really just down to color - there are exactly 2 options available: Leather vs cloth seats (cloth), and summer vs all season tires (don't care). 
So i get to agonize over what color I want and then most likely end up with white... but I do agree with kuhla, I need to be happy getting exactly what I want - especially if it needs to be done through a custom order process.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post this here for now, but I will eventually create a separate thread about it. 

I did buy a 2018 Golf GTI SE. 
I am extremely satisfied with it, partially because I knew exactly what I was getting.  Thanks again to kuhla for allowing me to test drive his car repeatedly, especially a longer ride, that was immensely helpful. 

I did a serious gut check and some soul searching before I put down any cash.  I very seriously considered different options including: Subaru Crosstrek XV, Nissan Juke, Hyundai Veloster Turbo and a handful of others. 
The crosstrek was a close second place in part because: It's cheaper, subaru has solid resale, CVT was very smooth, lots of cargo room, lots of ground clearance, AWD, almost all the same electronics found on the GTI. 

In the end it came down to buying a car I genuinely enjoyed driving vs settling for a cheaper but decent car.  I chose to go with the GTI for many of the same reasons why Kuhla bought one and why Tino/Kat recommend them.  Although at times I do wonder about conformity and bias, I still think the GTI is a solid choice and I'm happy with it. 

Some quick notes about the car:

• I consider the driving characteristics of this car to be roughly between my 2006 Subaru WRX and my mother's 2008 BMW 328i
    • The suspension isn't nearly as harsh as the WRX but it's not as soft as the BMW
    • It's harder to track my speed, which is similar to the BMW. This is partially due to not having to keep track of what gear I'm in and partially because the power feels less raw than the Subaru.  You don't feel like you're going that fast in the GTI/BMW there's less road noise and engine noise. 
  • The last time I drove a late model vehicle was when subaru loaned me a crosstrek for a week.  I'm still getting used to all the electronics.  It's a little bit overwhelming right at the moment, but I'm sure in a month I'll be used to it. 
  • The auto engine shutoff is weird as hell.  I totally understand it but it feels a little bit too quick for my taste.  You basically need to california roll or that thing is going to shut off your engine.  I have a feeling I'll need to disable this in really bad stop/go traffic on the freeway.  I will admit the startup is much faster than I expected, there's almost no lag when you take your foot off the brake, and it does do the hill hold if you're on a slope. 
  • I had the somewhat scary experience of having the auto-braking deploy on me.  Some asshat almost sideswiped me on the way home.  My foot was already moving towards the brakes but I could tell the autobraking deployed because it was about 0.75 seconds of full ABS braking just as I was starting to hit the brakes.  I'm glad this system works since it was a rather close call, it also gave me an idea of how aggressive the system is and what to expect.  I hope this system isn't put to much use...
  • Kessy is weird and getting use to that will take a while.  I guess I'll eventually get used to driving the car with the keys still in my pocket. 

questions

is the auto braking standard on all gti or se and autobahn only?

do you have a sensor hole below the license plate holder ?

this is different than pedestrian and lane assist ?

how do you like automatic now ? ahahah

honestly the suspension on the gti is very good for what it is. i rated better than w.e audi put in the s3 (a fix system not adjustable damping stuff). i cant go on speed bump sideway with a coffee or tea in my cupholder w.o spilling all over the place. the gti is way better on the rebound and damping but keeping it compliant during spirited driving.

soo when we gonna . race ? dragstrip?

The auto braking is SE/Autobahn only.  I don't believe it has detection for pedestrians - I think that was going to be in the later production cars, not the first run. 
The sensor for this is the actual VW logo on the front.  The VW logo is now completely flat there is no embossed metal for the letters VW.  I don't know what the range of this is, I don't entirely trust the dude at the dealer who was talking about it sensing trouble 2-3 cars in front of you - this isn't a Tesla. 
Lane departure is Autobahn only, along with adaptive cruise control. 

I personally dislike most standard automatic systems.  My mom's BMW is basic automatic and generally not enjoyable, sometimes you step on the gas and it sits there and thinks about it before anything happens, other times you hit the gas and get instant power.  The DSG and CVT transmissions I've driven have been much nicer.  I enjoy the fact they are smooth (when you're not hooning) but still responsive and powerful when you need it.  I firmly believe that standard automatic transmissions will be completely replaced by CVT and DSG style systems in the near future.  In fact I think I'm seeing many more cars with CVT systems already. 
I personally have wanted an automatic for about 2 years now.  My commute isn't terrible by any means, but sitting in traffic with a stick shift isn't enjoyable.  I also was well aware that if my commute was longer/worse I would want the automatic even more.  I think a manual transmission is great if you want to enjoy driving, but most of my driving is Monday-Friday commuting with no fun allowed. 

Yea I think the suspension is about what I'd want if I could magically design a car, any softer and you start to lose road feel and any harder and you end up feeling like you're driving on corduroy. 

I don't have any plans to race.  Right now I'm probably driving pretty boring, and as I get more comfortable with the car I'll get used to putting on more power when I need it.  I'm not strictly following break in recommendations but I'm not going to thrash the car either. 
I mentioned this to kuhla once before, but I know I can drive the GTI faster than my WRX, at least in the straight line. I think technically my WRX has a better 0-60 time but I'm not vin disel and I can't shift that fast.  The GTI is easier to drive, but the subaru does have AWD to bail you out when you do some really dumb shit. 

My priorities right now are to get a sunshade for the car, get the windows tinted (not limo tint) and work on getting my dash cam installed.  I also need to put my emergency kit in the trunk. 

im trying to repair my clear bra and im considering tinting my car.

would you be interested if maybe i can get a deal on tinting 2 cars + clearbra job + paintless dent removal.

this is the place where i get my clear bra. https://www.yelp.com/biz/advance-auto-engineering-fullerton-2

im not 100% yet on tinting. i want to be sure that they dont remove body panels to tint. cause i hate that shit.