Official VW/Audi Thread

T1no

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Plug-In hybrids made a lot of sense for become who don't understand electric cars offering the best of both worlds BUT, I think Tesla has proven the technology is no longer necessary given the advancements in battery costs/capacity.

I'd still rather they make a plug-in than no EV at all, but its definitely just a stepping stone technology. GM killed the Volt because they felt it was no longer necessary.

it doesnt work for all tho.

i dont want to sit in a charger for 20-30 min in between my trip (thats not even full). i want to go.

i dont want to think every-time i want to drive more aggressively and use my battery charge at faster rate then stressing out finding where i can charge and delay my trip.

i dont have 40k+

I tend to agree with tino, there are still plenty of use cases for ICE/plug-in hybrids.  Electric ranges are increasing quite rapidly as battery tech becomes better - but as of today, we're not quite there. 
If business like GM want to kill off plug-ins because they estimate that it's a better ROI to invest in pure electric that's a valid business decision.  I suspect that their hybrids and electric cars haven't been selling particularly well outside of select markets (mostly coastal areas and some major cities.) 

Currently the US is still dominated by Trucks/SUVs, I'd like to see what Tesla and other manufacturers can come up with to compete with a standard F-150, but I also have a hard time picturing people living in rural areas buying a purely electric vehicle - hopefully that changes in the next decade. 

I've heard the real shift will be when electric vehicles cost is at parity or below ICE vehicles.  Estimates for that are 5-7 years from now, which is pretty awesome.  I think that's going to be where we see electric sales overtake ICE sales.  We might even start to see taxes/fees similar to central London, where electric vehicles are allowed in but ICE vehicles must pay a congestion/pollution fee - I can see that happening in downtown LA at some point in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 12:01 PM, kuhla said:

I would rather see an update for this:

article - https://www.vwvortex.com/news/golf-8-mild-hybridization-standard-digital-info-alexa/

The Golf is joining the mild-hybrid crowd with three 48-volt mild-hybrid options that range from 81 kW to 110 kW (109 hp to 147 hp). These will improve stop/start tech and can help run the turbo more efficiently.

A pair of plug-in hybrid versions, meanwhile, should put a little more zip in your zap. A 150 kW (201 hp) PHEV and a 180 kW (241 hp) GTE model will give you instant electric torque off the line and keep things nice and efficient on the highway.

Making all that power are a 1.4-liter TSI engine paired to an electric motor, funneling power through a 6-speed DSG transmission.

Yes please.

• 3 months later...

https://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/mk8-gtis-front-end-revealed-volkswagen/

i like the hex fog lights but that wide intake honeycomb doesn't do it for me. maybe it will look better in person.

im actually interested in the golf R mk8. im guessing it will start @ 40+ 

i also heard the GTI TCR is coming here but thats a little too much for a front wheel drive.

I guess there is always the chance it will look different in person but I'm not thrilled about what I'm seeing so far.

1. The hexagon lights look kind of weird especially since I don't really see any hexagon patterns anywhere else on the car.
  2. The wide "mouth" looks weird.
  3. I'm not a fan of the skinny, downward looking lights.
  4. Turning the strip into a light just seems needlessly flashy.

FULL THOMAS

• Nice steering wheel
    • integrated headrest seat
    • unique fog lights
    • nice from the back
    • overal interior is cool
  • Dislike
    • that front bottom look strange. big mouf 
    • the hood prop is manual
    • piano frame in dashboard
    • that wheel design doesn't do it for me
    • the touch sensitivity digital buttons on everything XD

article - https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/27/vw-golf-gti-2021/

The bad news, as Autoblog notes, is that a plug-in hybrid GTE version (and diesel-powered GTD edition) will only be available in Europe. Specs reveal the GTE pairs a 150hp 1.4-liter turbocharged engine with an 85Kw electric motor and lithium-ion battery. Operating together, they're rated for the same 245HP as the gas GTI and can manage up to 37 miles of range in all-electric mode.

Sad

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...