Sign in to follow this  
T1no

Official VW/Audi Thread

wouldn't mind driving that at all. price tho it prob wont make any sense here in the US sadly. 

So Plug-In hybrids made a lot of sense for become who don't understand electric cars offering the best of both worlds BUT, I think Tesla has proven the technology is no longer necessary given the advancements in battery costs/capacity.

I'd still rather they make a plug-in than no EV at all, but its definitely just a stepping stone technology. GM killed the Volt because they felt it was no longer necessary.

it doesnt work for all tho.

i dont want to sit in a charger for 20-30 min in between my trip (thats not even full). i want to go.

i dont want to think every-time i want to drive more aggressively and use my battery charge at faster rate then stressing out finding where i can charge and delay my trip.

i dont have 40k+

I tend to agree with tino, there are still plenty of use cases for ICE/plug-in hybrids.  Electric ranges are increasing quite rapidly as battery tech becomes better - but as of today, we're not quite there. 
If business like GM want to kill off plug-ins because they estimate that it's a better ROI to invest in pure electric that's a valid business decision.  I suspect that their hybrids and electric cars haven't been selling particularly well outside of select markets (mostly coastal areas and some major cities.) 

Currently the US is still dominated by Trucks/SUVs, I'd like to see what Tesla and other manufacturers can come up with to compete with a standard F-150, but I also have a hard time picturing people living in rural areas buying a purely electric vehicle - hopefully that changes in the next decade. 

I've heard the real shift will be when electric vehicles cost is at parity or below ICE vehicles.  Estimates for that are 5-7 years from now, which is pretty awesome.  I think that's going to be where we see electric sales overtake ICE sales.  We might even start to see taxes/fees similar to central London, where electric vehicles are allowed in but ICE vehicles must pay a congestion/pollution fee - I can see that happening in downtown LA at some point in the future.