Tactically Inept

[Movie] The Dark Crystal

kuhla

imdb - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083791/

On another planet in the distant past, a Gelfling embarks on a quest to find the missing shard of a magical crystal, and so restore order to his world.

I wanted to give this a chance because I've seen multiple people comment that this movie is pretty alien and fantastical even though it was partially directed by Jim Henson (the puppeteer of Sesame Street fame).

I did watch it and it's simplistic like it's meant for a child but there is so much dark imagery it almost doesn't feel appropriate. There is a whole alien world that gets introduced which was pretty deserving of being described as fantastical. I'm glad I watched it but it's not for everyone.

• 5 months later...

Cool. I would not have expected this. I'll be watching it. I would not mind a trip back to that land.

Like I said, the movie was simplistic, and you would think ok so it's for kids, but the imagery gets kinda dark sometimes.

• 1 year later...

article - https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/17/netflix-dark-crystal-prequel-casts-mark-hamill-natalie-dormer/

The three Gelfling will be voiced by Taron Egerton (Kingsman), Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch) and Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones). Other Gelfling characters will be voiced by Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones), Theo James (Divergent) and Helena Bonham Carter. Among the cast voicing the Skeksis and Mystics are Andy Samberg (SNL, Brooklyn Nine-Nine), Jason Isaacs, Mark Hamill, Keegan-Michael Key and Simon Pegg, among others.

That is a lot of high profile names. Are they throwing silly money at this?

• 8 months later...

So I figure I might as well reuse the thread for the movie to talk about the Netflix series I am watching. I'm more than a few episodes in so I feel comfortable posting about it. It sticks very faithfully to the formula set down to the movie but there is just more of it now:

On 12/11/2016 at 7:28 PM, kuhla said:

.....and it's simplistic like it's meant for a child but there is so much dark imagery it almost doesn't feel appropriate. There is a whole alien world that gets introduced which was pretty deserving of being described as fantastical. I'm glad I watched it but it's not for everyone.