Tactically Inept

My New Car: 2015 VW GTi

kuhla

A little late on making this thread.... but it doesn't really matter.... who reads the forums anyhow... so this is partially for my own documentation....

What I bought used: http://media.vw.com/doc/948/2015_volkswagen_golf_gti_the_icon_reinvented-2015_golf_gti_specifications-15012859415370d15b81c21.pdf

Various pieces of information:

• I have not yet done any search about the weight of the wheels to see if they are excessively heavy (thinking unsprung weight) but I am sort of expecting that they are.

Can't find exact info anywhere but some people are saying the stock "Austin" wheel is 25 lb which is not as bad as I was expecting (29-30).

That being said, these look nice and weigh 19 lb -- https://www.amazon.com/TSW-NURBURGRING-Wheel-5x112mm-offset/dp/B003KRJAP6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1482638094&sr=8-3&keywords=TSW+Nurburgring+18x8+5x112mm

Kind of surprised how similar fuel costs are coming out to.

@ 22 mpg @ $5 gallon @ 91 rating for 826.5 miles = $188

@ 18 mpg @ $4 gallon @ 87 rating for 826.5 miles = $183

Even with moving all the way up to 91 rating, just 6 mpg increase made the cost come out pretty much the same.

Also fuck you Tino. I bought an obdeleven.

I find it hilarious that manufacturers are starting to do this....but not surprised. A lot of focus groups complained about the Volt's lack of engine sound.pedal response feel.

I don't mind noise, that's fine, I can appreciate a meaty sounding engine but it has to be somewhat natural. In the case of the GTI, it is 100% artificial, it's a damn speaker! I would rather take silence over that.

The last part I needed for the dashcam arrived in the last few days. Installation will be delayed because of other upcoming events taking precedence.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10375

If I can copy that cable routing then install does not look nearly as hard as I imagined.

• 9 months later...

Engine light turned on two days ago.
No special noise.
Oil temp fine.
No loss in power.
No loss in mpg.
No change in steering, drive feel, etc.
I planned to message Tino today to ask for ODB11 back to see what code was going on and then probably get it checked out this weekend.
Light is off today.
Hmmm.

1 hour ago, T1no said:

i'll drop it off tonight if youre home.

gas cap ?

prob intermittent shit.

intake flap, miss fire all sorts of shit

Since the light is off now, no hurry. Text first and only if you are on the way somewhere.

Gas cap what? There is a sensor for that?

EDIT: I guess that is a thing -- http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5402

""The CEL will go off by itself after 80 miles if there is no persisting problem. Just drive it off. ""

• 2 months later...

I'm late posting this. The volume issue: The issue was volume mismatch. On my other bluetooth devices I usually max out the media volume on my phone and adjust the volume on the other device (headphones, speakers, etc.). In that situation I still hear notification sounds, phone calls, etc. all other sounds are reasonable volume. Apparently in the car I need to turn media volume on the phone way down, maybe 1/3, and turn the car's volume up to the appropriate volume. Navigation volume is matched to the car's volume and media (music) volume is independent.

On 12/24/2016 at 5:38 PM, kuhla said:

Done. Installed:

https://imgur.com/a/1x604

• 1 year later...

Second time now driving in heavy rain on the freeway at speed, on partially flooded streets, in and out of parking lots, etc. I wanted to give an update on the Falken Azenis FK510 tires. No issues to report. No aquaplaning, loss of control, etc. They continue to perform satisfactory considering what I paid for them. Wet handling was something I was looking for in reviews before I bought these tires.

On 2/2/2019 at 2:34 PM, kuhla said:

Second time now driving in heavy rain on the freeway at speed, on partially flooded streets, in and out of parking lots, etc. I wanted to give an update on the Falken Azenis FK510 tires. No issues to report. No aquaplaning, loss of control, etc. They continue to perform satisfactory considering what I paid for them. Wet handling was something I was looking for in reviews before I bought these tires.

I can agree with your research that UHP summer tires are amazing in rain. Terrible in snow. I noticed that Falken is owned but Sumitomo, but was previous Goodyear? Confused as to whose tech the tires really are....

yea i drove it in the rain that Falken Azenis FK510  is fantastic. i tried a few pulled that i would expect i would lose traction but that thing put the power down pretty good; no TC light and i dint feel any. on the old stock all seasons it would lose tractions.

• 2 months later...
  1. Hit 40k a couple days ago. Have to schedule service. I expect this will be an expensive one. I may push it off until June.
  2. Dashcam acted weird today. Threw an error "SD Card Full" which shouldn't happen. I took the card out and reformatted it and reinserted it and dashcam appears to be happy now. Before I wiped everything off I did backup the videos on there and did a quick click through on a few of them to check video quality. I cannot see any degradation.